• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Shooting (Sports-Related)

Not confirmed, but parents and UVA insiders are reporting that all victims are UVA football players and that football players were targeted. Sounds like the cops went around trying to get all football players to safety during the night.

Relatives in Charlottesville confirming some of those details…just terrible.

Officially reporting that LB D'Sean Perry is on of the 3 deceased. Suspect is former walk-on Chris Jones.

Edited to add WR Lavel Davis also appears confirmed.

Oh no that's horrible. Prayers for the families of the victims and the whole UVA community.

Appears to have occurred after a Theatre class field trip to DC.

What happened to the days of just fist fighting and settling stuff? Easy access to guns allows anger to easily escalate into killing. Terrible stuff

just senseless and so sad
RIP to the victims and my thoughts and condolences to the families now grieving as well as the entire UVa community

just senseless and so sad
RIP to the victims and my thoughts and condolences to the families now grieving as well as the entire UVa community
Pretty much this. Sad, man.

Is he still at-large? This dude needs to be found ASAP.

Needless to say, that UVa-VT game is going to be emotional.

This is the case everywhere. Certainly a major problem locally in Winston.
It reminds me of the shooting on campus a few years back. People will always have beef with each other. It's the nature of human interaction- especially when alcohol is involved. But, pulling out a gun turns everything sideways. Uggh. I Just hate the needless loss of life.

It reminds me of the shooting on campus a few years back. People will always have beef with each other. It's the nature of human interaction- especially when alcohol is involved. But, pulling out a gun turns everything sideways. Uggh. I Just hate the needless loss of life.
If only we had some idea of how to limit violence caused by easy access to guns. Just such a complicated problem. On the one hand, laws would make it harder for "good guys" to get their guns, on the other hand "bad guys" won't be affected by the guns they can easily take out of the unsecured cars in driveways of "good guys". Oh well, nothing to be done!

What happened to the days of just fist fighting and settling stuff? Easy access to guns allows anger to easily escalate into killing. Terrible stuff
I don't want this to evolve into a gun confiscation argument, but it's more than that. When I was in High School half the guys drove a truck with a gun rack inside with a shot gun and rifle sitting on the rack. If a student wanted to shoot up the school it would've been as easy as walking out to their truck and getting their gun. People just don't value human life like we used to. In addition to looking at gun laws, we need to figure out why it's so easy for some people to take another life these days. You're right that's how things used to settled. The place guys used to go a my high school to settle things with their fists, was an abandoned trash dump site. Nobody ever lost their life there.

I don't want this to evolve into a gun confiscation argument, but it's more than that. When I was in High School half the guys drove a truck with a gun rack inside with a shot gun and rifle sitting on the rack. If a student wanted to shoot up the school it would've been as easy as walking out to their truck and getting their gun. People just don't value human life like we used to. In addition to looking at gun laws, we need to figure out why it's so easy for some people to take another life these days. You're right that's how things used to settled. The place guys used to go a my high school to settle things with their fists, was an abandoned trash dump site. Nobody ever lost their life there.
If you accept this to be true, then you should be fervently in favor of minimizing the number of guns accessible to a society as sociopathic as you describe. Same goes for the mental health argument. I don't think you would have glocks and ar-15s available at the commissary at a psych ward.

It's also a whole lot harder to kill a lot of people quickly with a shotgun or a rifle than with an AR 15 or a handgun.

If you accept this to be true, then you should be fervently in favor of minimizing the number of guns accessible to a society as sociopathic as you describe. Same goes for the mental health argument. I don't think you would have glocks and ar-15s available at the commissary at a psych ward.
I think there absolutely needs to measures in place to keep people like that from getting guns. It certainly seems that in most cases there are warning signs there and if a person can still legally get a gun in those circumstances then something is wrong.

I think there absolutely needs to measures in place to keep people like that from getting guns. It certainly seems that in most cases there are warning signs there and if a person can still legally get a gun in those circumstances then something is wrong.
Those folks with hunting rifles displayed in the window of their truck weren't exactly smart about it. You wouldn't hang something else of street value in the window of your car separated by a thin layer of glass. Over 8,000 guns are reported stolen each year. Many of them from the glove boxes, center consoles, or under seats of unlocked cars.

When you have more guns than people in this country, they are pretty easily attainable. Unfortunately, continuing to add more than 300K to that number every year isn't exactly fixing that problem like the nra promises.

Back