• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Shooting (Sports-Related)

Those folks with hunting rifles displayed in the window of their truck weren't exactly smart about it. You wouldn't hang something else of street value in the window of your car separated by a thin layer of glass. Over 8,000 guns are reported stolen each year. Many of them from the glove boxes, center consoles, or under seats of unlocked cars.

When you have more guns than people in this country, they are pretty easily attainable. Unfortunately, continuing to add more than 300K to that number every year isn't exactly fixing that problem like the nra promises.
That's all?

All of the named victims are football players. Apparently, the group was coming back from a bus trip to DC...

Those folks with hunting rifles displayed in the window of their truck weren't exactly smart about it. You wouldn't hang something else of street value in the window of your car separated by a thin layer of glass. Over 8,000 guns are reported stolen each year. Many of them from the glove boxes, center consoles, or under seats of unlocked cars.

When you have more guns than people in this country, they are pretty easily attainable. Unfortunately, continuing to add more than 300K to that number every year isn't exactly fixing that problem like the nra promises.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that was a good thing at all. My only point was that something has changed in society, we didn't used to have some many issues with shootings like this. Guns are harder to get now than they used to be decades ago. You could go to your local store and come out with a pistol in 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that was a good thing at all. My only point was that something has changed in society, we didn't used to have some many issues with shootings like this. Guns are harder to get now than they used to be decades ago. You could go to your local store and come out with a pistol in 10 minutes.
You have any evidence to back that up or are you just suggesting it "feels" that way?

I'm pretty confident that there is a pretty large number of unreported thefts. The 8500 figure is from 2021. This article refers to what I've heard from local LEOs that the 2022 number should be much higher. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/guns-are-stolen-cars-alarming-trend-nation-rcna26691

Like most things involving guns, it's intentionally tough to nail down exact numbers.
No doubt, I'm sure that is a big problem. If a gun owner is guilty of not securing their guns, then there should be consequences. Big part of being a responsible gun owner.

You have any evidence to back that up or are you just suggesting it "feels" that way?
I'm saying you used to be able to walk into a store without a permit or back ground check and come out with a gun. That is not a feeling, it's a fact.

From the UVA website:

earned honorable mention all-conference honors as a senior … spent first three years of high school at Varina High School where he earned honorable mention all-conference as a freshman and second-team accolades as a sophomore and junior … member of the National Honor Society … National Technical Honor Society … president of Key Club … president of Jobs for Virginia Grads Program … named Student of the Year as a freshman and sophomore at Varina.

Seemed like a good kid you'd want to have on your team, and certainly a Bronco Mendenhall-type guy.

No point in playing the Coastal game either.

I get that CFB is big business, but I don’t see how they hold a football game 6 days after multiple players are killed by an ex teammate. Presumably they’re going to be at fucking funeral services this weekend. Fuck.

No doubt, I'm sure that is a big problem. If a gun owner is guilty of not securing their guns, then there should be consequences. Big part of being a responsible gun owner.
Any chance any gun rights organizations every want to show an interest in defining what this means? Because I haven't seen much promoted on the subject beyond the buzz words. Almost everyone of these recent mass shooters could likely be defined as a "responsible gun owner" or a "good guy with a gun" up until the moment they pull the trigger.

If your claim is that society is more disposed to violence or murder than a generation ago, statistics point out this is a uniquely American identifier. If that's the case, then what are the other outliers for America wrt violence? It's the number of guns. We are by and large more religious than any other peer nations with significantly lower rates of gun deaths. They consume the same media. What other outlier am I missing?

I'm saying you used to be able to walk into a store without a permit or back ground check and come out with a gun. That is not a feeling, it's a fact.
Ok. I can go into walmart today without a permit and walk out with a shotgun. The very presence of millions more guns in this country means that they are more accessible.

Guns are really really easy to get. I could go buy as many as I want right now and in GA I don’t even need a permit to carry one (but I have one).

UVA prohibits firearms of any type on campus.

Any chance any gun rights organizations every want to show an interest in defining what this means? Because I haven't seen much promoted on the subject beyond the buzz words. Almost everyone of these recent mass shooters could likely be defined as a "responsible gun owner" or a "good guy with a gun" up until the moment they pull the trigger.

If your claim is that society is more disposed to violence or murder than a generation ago, statistics point out this is a uniquely American identifier. If that's the case, then what are the other outliers for America wrt violence? It's the number of guns. We are by and large more religious than any other peer nations with significantly lower rates of gun deaths. They consume the same media. What other outlier am I missing?
The identifier you're missing is the only one that matters, the number of shootings now vs. then. Guns were easier for anyone to get, schools, etc. were much less secure back then, yet you hardly ever heard about shootings like this.

Guns are really really easy to get. I could go buy as many as I want right now and in GA I don’t even need a permit to carry one (but I have one).

UVA prohibits firearms of any type on campus.
There is, sadly, no real way for a campus to enforce that.

Ok. I can go into walmart today without a permit and walk out with a shotgun. The very presence of millions more guns in this country means that they are more accessible.
Last word from me, you can't go into a Walmart and walk out with as many handguns as you want without a permit and back ground check now. Used to you could. Well, not from a Walmart, they weren't around then, but you could drug stores, hardware stores, five and dimes, etc. Point is anyone who wanted to shoot up a school back then could've very easily done it, without any worry of how to get a gun or any worry of any type of security stopping them, so why didn't it happen then like it is now? Has to be more than just the numbers of guns. It's valid to argue that's part of it, but not all of the problem.

Back