• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Shooting (Sports-Related)

This is incorrect. North Carolina has required a permit to purchase a handgun since 1919 (although there was a gun show loophole until last year). The laws obviously vary a lot by state, and the states with the most lax laws have the most gun violence. This isn't a difficult concept - the massive number of guns leads to a massive number of shootings.
All I know is you could go to a store and come out with a gun with little problem. As I said, very valid to say the number of guns is part of it, but don't be so close-minded to think that is all of it. People have had access to guns for a long time, it would've been arguably much easier to shoot up schools years ago, why is it happening so much more now. What is driving people to do it, it's more than just the number of guns?

I don’t see how they play football again. I mean maybe for VPI next weekend? I dunno if it was Wake I’d just say shut it down.

I don’t see how they play football again. I mean maybe for VPI next weekend? I dunno if it was Wake I’d just say shut it down.
My guess is they leave it up to the players. If continuing the season and having the structure and support of the team is the best thing to help them through this, then let them play, but it needs to be the players' call.

My guess is they leave it up to the players. If continuing the season and having the structure and support of the team is the best thing to help them through this, then let them play, but it needs to be the players' call.
This. Only the players on the team should decide. No one else.

And to add to that, not a call they should be expected to make today or soon. I would be very surprised if they play the Coastal game this weekend, especially since they're probably not practicing at all and the players are burying their teammates.

All I know is you could go to a store and come out with a gun with little problem. As I said, very valid to say the number of guns is part of it, but don't be so close-minded to think that is all of it. People have had access to guns for a long time, it would've been arguably much easier to shoot up schools years ago, why is it happening so much more now. What is driving people to do it, it's more than just the number of guns?
The murder rate is actually lower than it was in the early 1990s. I think the current rate of gun violence is likely comparable to drug-related violence of the crack epidemic. The current spike is related to many things: economic pressure and social-emotional gaps from school closings being the largest factors.

I have to imagine if it’s left up to the players they will choose to play.

I have to imagine if it’s left up to the players they will choose to play.

Yeah, I think the AD will cancel this week against Coastal and the team will want to play next week against Va Tech.

Seems like a common theme in these things is that person was a known threat?
Well in this case, it seems he was a known threat for saying he had a gun.

Shame va f*cked ourselves last year. She may have lost this year.

It’s been on CNN for a while. It’s like the 15th story on there though. It’s been the top story on Fox since last night. This seems to be the theme for CNN when the shooter is a non-white male.

It’s been on CNN for a while. It’s like the 15th story on there though. It’s been the top story on Fox since last night. This seems to be the theme for CNN when the shooter is a non-white male.
Yep. I had CNN on for more than an hour during breakfast and then on Sirius this morning and they mentioned it for about 2 seconds and didn't say another word.

Black, college-educated, football player. No wonder Fox News is all over it.

Back