• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Shooting (Sports-Related)

You’re conflating two different events. I lived in Charlottesville when George Huguely killed Yeardley Love. The focus on that was wealth and privilege and the difficulty in getting any sort of protection from dating violence.

The Greek system was the focus of The Rolling Stone article which turned out to be fabricated.
Definitely recall them being two separate stories. Was more thinking that the Yeardley Love story hung around a lot longer/got resurfaced in the media dialogue because of the RS story that came out.

Definitely recall them being two separate stories. Was more thinking that the Yeardley Love story hung around a lot longer/got resurfaced in the media dialogue because of the RS story that came out.

Rolling Stone article came out in 2014.

Huguely was convicted in 2012 for the 2010 murder.

In order to understand them as people and not statistics, check this out from a UVa professor that had two of the victims in his class last semester and this one.

Just so freaking sad. Sounds like they were great people taken away from promising futures.

To argue that a former player killing 3 former teammates and current UVA football players and shooting 2 other students is not major news story is crazy.

It might be major to you but it may not be a major national story. I simply explained why. Add in that the election is still basically going on and it’s at UVa not a major SEC or Big Ten power. Media stations have to prioritize stories.

This was also around the time period of the murders of Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham.
Yes, Cville has unfortunately been in the news a lot over the last decade or so for a variety of bad reasons and too many deaths.

Living in DC, the male UVA lacrosse player murdering his UVA lax player GF was a huge story for a long time, both at the time of murder and then subsequent trial (IIRC, George Hughley was spared the death penalty). At least partially because, the murderer was from DC (and part of a prominent family) and the victim was from Baltimore.
Similarly, the Baylor hoops murder got a ton of play in the Dallas media. It was a huge story here for a while.

It might be major to you but it may not be a major national story. I simply explained why. Add in that the election is still basically going on and it’s at UVa not a major SEC or Big Ten power. Media stations have to prioritize stories.
I was kind of with you until the take veered into sports conference affilations. So, this would be a bigger story if it involved Mizzou or Purdue? SEC and Big 10 hegemony hasn't seeped into the national consciousness to the point where a "shooting" is a bigger deal depending on conference affiliation.

The shooting at VT was a bigger story than the UVA shooting because: a) there were more victims and b) it was random. This appears to be dispute among acquaintances, the media does treat a random school shooting with more attention because they potentially threaten everyone in that community (which can then be interpolated into your own community).

To argue that a former player killing 3 former teammates and current UVA football players and shooting 2 other students is not major news story is crazy.
To bring it back though, what started this convo in the thread was the claim that this isn't being reported on/highlighted by the media and that's not really accurate. It's one of the top stories on CNN's, NYT's, WaPo's respective sites atm.

Diggler is going to be crying for someone with a gun to protect him when more forced jabs start happening!!!!

HaHa - you explained why you think it is not a major story. Not all of us think your "explanation" makes sense.

Is the UVA shooting supposed to be a bigger story than the Idaho shooting?

To bring it back though, what started this convo in the thread was the claim that this isn't being reported on/highlighted by the media and that's not really accurate. It's one of the top stories on CNN's, NYT's, WaPo's respective sites atm.
When I first heard about this they had already identified some victims and had the suspect in custody and I didn't see it anywhere on CNN's front page. To me, this just spoke to us being desensitized. But I think it's a fair criticism. Just because it's there now doesn't mean it shouldn't have been earlier type of thing.

Seems obvious to me that this wasn't a top story right away for some outlets because the shooter and victims were connected, and they had a suspect and apprehended someone relatively quickly. I think any other reason is probably stretching it (but not for Fox, they were all over it for exactly the reasons we might speculate). But also fair to say this is getting less play than it would have before the age of school shootings and indiscriminate murder that we are living in.

Today’s events also prompted this guy to be arrested. Who knows what this psycho was planning. He was originally the person of interest in the shootings. His tweets yesterday were nuts.

Back