• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Shooting (Sports-Related)

Anyone want to guess how many United States gun violence incidents have been reported in the <24 hours since this one happened?

The answer is 44.

This one happened to people that we can watch play a sport on TV though, so people will pretend to care for a few days or weeks before the national media resumes not caring about the issue.

To sports fans this is a huge deal. To the general public this is just run of the mill gun violence motivated by personal beef.

Unless you’re Fox News pushing a narrative about people they hate (Black people, college students, football players), this just doesn’t matter much unless some salacious details come out.

Surely people can understand why political motivated violence or random violence gets more media attention. Those events make it seem like anyone can be a victim.

To sports fans this is a huge deal. To the general public this is just run of the mill gun violence motivated by personal beef.

Unless you’re Fox News pushing a narrative about people they hate (Black people, college students, football players), this just doesn’t matter much unless some salacious details come out.

Surely people can understand why political motivated violence or random violence gets more media attention. Those events make it seem like anyone can be a victim.
I'm legitimately confused here. A mass shooting on a college campus is not a huge story? Fox is only making it a huge story because the shooter is black? Fox news hates football players? I don't follow any of that logic.
If anything, I would think the fact that a college athlete shot a bunch of former teammates would make this a bigger story? I don't remember another event like this, ever??

I'm legitimately confused here. A mass shooting on a college campus is not a huge story? Fox is only making it a huge story because the shooter is black? Fox news hates football players? I don't follow any of that logic.
If anything, I would think the fact that a college athlete shot a bunch of former teammates would make this a bigger story? I don't remember another event like this, ever??

Really ? A UVA Men's Lacrosse player murdred his girlfriend, a UVA Women's Lacrosse player in 2010. Not exactly the same scale, but still.

It is a pretty significant story. I was surprised it wasn't more prominent on CNN's home page.
Tbf it's literally one of the top stories on CNN's site right now and is getting live updates. It's also on the top banner of the NYT site.

Really ? A UVA Men's Lacrosse player murdred his girlfriend, a UVA Women's Lacrosse player in 2010. Not exactly the same scale, but still.
Or the time a Baylor basketball player murdered a teammate and the headcoach lied to investigators and falsely suggested the deceased player was a drug dealer.

I explained it clearly. This was some internal conflict between members of a team, not political violence or an indiscriminate mass shooting in which the victims were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Most gun violence is between people who know each other. It doesn't really move the needle among the dozens of gun murders in this country every day. There was a murder. Nobody else is in danger. The killer is in custody. This isn't going to get as much coverage as other gun violence, but more than run of the mill local stuff.

I don't remember the prior UVA athlete murder or the Baylor hoops murder getting much mainstream attention.

Wow, previously the shooter was involved in a hazing investigation that was eventually dropped due to lack of cooperation (per UVA police chief). This seems like it could become an even bigger, more awful story.

Wow, previously the shooter was involved in a hazing investigation that was eventually dropped due to lack of cooperation (per UVA police chief). This seems like it could become an even bigger, more awful story.
I also saw a report that he had made a statement to someone about having a gun that was worrying enough that it was reported to and investigated by UVA's threat management system.

I explained it clearly. This was some internal conflict between members of a team, not political violence or an indiscriminate mass shooting in which the victims were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Most gun violence is between people who know each other. It doesn't really move the needle among the dozens of gun murders in this country every day. There was a murder. Nobody else is in danger. The killer is in custody. This isn't going to get as much coverage as other gun violence, but more than run of the mill local stuff.

I don't remember the prior UVA athlete murder or the Baylor hoops murder getting much mainstream attention.
Agreed.

To the point of the UVA lacrosse murder, I seem to remember that one getting a lot of run in the press, but it was part of a larger story about UVA's Greek culture running amok and instances of sexual and domestic violence being handled very poorly by the university.

Agreed.

To the point of the UVA lacrosse murder, I seem to remember that one getting a lot of run in the press, but it was part of a larger story about UVA's Greek culture running amok and instances of sexual and domestic violence being handled very poorly by the university.

Uh, yeah like the falsified Rolling Stone story.

All I know is you could go to a store and come out with a gun with little problem. As I said, very valid to say the number of guns is part of it, but don't be so close-minded to think that is all of it. People have had access to guns for a long time, it would've been arguably much easier to shoot up schools years ago, why is it happening so much more now. What is driving people to do it, it's more than just the number of guns?
To what state and time period are you referring? That might help advance this aspect of the discussion.

And I just disagree with your conclusion. Internal conflict or not, this is not one guy shooting another guy because they got in a fight - this is 5 people getting shot - that easily meets the definition of a mass shooting. It involves college athletes - people who are 'known' - at least by people that follow that team. I would expect it to be a top of the news type story, for sure.

The UVA lacrosse murder - while nothing like this one (it was one guy killing one girl - typical jilted lover situation) got a lot more attention than a typical jilted lover murder because athletes were involved - and, if we are being honest, probably because the victim was an attractive young woman. The Baylor case, again, was "only" one athlete being killed - but got a ton of attention, as I recall - it was an especially salacious story, as well, because there were coaches involved, a cover-up, etc... Practically brought down an entire athletic department.

Living in DC, the male UVA lacrosse player murdering his UVA lax player GF was a huge story for a long time, both at the time of murder and then subsequent trial (IIRC, George Hughley was spared the death penalty). At least partially because, the murderer was from DC (and part of a prominent family) and the victim was from Baltimore.

There are plenty of mass shootings between people who know each other that don't get much national press.

There have been 599 mass shootings this year.

Agreed.

You’re conflating two different events. I lived in Charlottesville when George Huguely killed Yeardley Love. The focus on that was wealth and privilege and the difficulty in getting any sort of protection from dating violence.

The Greek system was the focus of The Rolling Stone article which turned out to be fabricated.

Back