• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaccinations

KVegasDeac

Reaction score
I know childhood vaccinations are a hot topic right now, but this is not another hateful should/shouldn't vaccinate argument.

I work in public health, and I am very pro-vaccination. My profession has allowed me to, unfortunately, see the misery and devastation measles, Hib, pertussis, etc. can cause. Because of this (and my educational background) I am somewhat biased.

Right now, I am working on a campaign for vaccinating, and I need the board's help. I am interested in opinions/reasons why you do or do not believe in childhood vaccines. Specifically:

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters?
2. Are your children vaccinated?
3. If they are not vaccinated, why?
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule.
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy?
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college?
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues?
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders?
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not).
10. What is your highest level of education?

I know this is lengthy, so even if you only answer one or two, that will still help me tremendously. I tried this on social media, and the results were not what I was expecting. It pretty much turned into a fight and gave me a reason to be concerned about the type of people that are homeschooling their children.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I'm strongly pro-vax. With that said seeing my son have a pretty bad reaction to one (high fever for four days) hit me in a place I haven't been hit before. Didn't change the plan to stick to the schedule but made me understand ever so slightly where people were coming from.

Thanks for your help!

1. YES
2. YES
3. N/A
4. On schedule.
5. No
6. Yes
7. Should be up to a DR to determine if there is a medical reason NOT to vaccinate.
8. Absolutely not.
9. OUCH. my arm (or leg) is numb and stinging for a minute. Now it's a little sore. :(

No vaccinating your kid puts everyone else at risk. There are a lot of people out there that just don't understand the devastation these diseases caused prior to being, nearly, eradicated. thanks for helping to bring them back and risk killing more people (kids).

<jumps off soapbox>

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? Yes
2. Are your children vaccinated? Yes
3. If they are not vaccinated, why? N/A
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. Traditional schedule
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? No
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes (in theory - I admittedly haven't done much thinking, reading, research on this, but since I think vaccination is pretty damn important, then my quick answer is yes)
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? No
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? No
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). Basically what bmoney said above about reactions. We have been lucky so far that our nearly 2 year old has had pretty much zero reactions to her vaccinations, but I can see how you don't want your kid to be sick or have adverse reactions if they've not done well in the past. As it stands my biggest concern now is the brief pain caused by the needle stick.

I don't believe in vaccination exemptions for religious reasons. Public health is important.

1. Yes
2. no kids yet but will/would vaccinate
3. N/A
4. We will use the CDC's schedule.
5. No
6. Yes
7. No
8. No
9. N/A
10. Bachelor's

Last edited:
i can't imagine you'll get lots of honest answers from the boards quiet anti-vaxxers unless you can set up an anonymous poll

Survey Monkey might be helpful

We've used a survey monkey, and the results were a little vague. I really need to sit down with 100 people and interview them, but there's no time.

I know the number of children being vaccinated is down, and our survey monkey results pretty much told us that anti-vax parents were scared, but to be honest, I need a more educated population than what I've previously used. I need to correlate level of education and basic understanding of the human body and immunity with results.

Which I left off of the OP.

If you don't feel comfortable answering on the boards, please message me. No judgement zone, I promise!

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? YES
2. Are your children vaccinated? YES
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. ALTERNATE BUT IN LINE PRIOR TO PRESCHOOL AGE.
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? NO
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? YES
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? YES, BUT DOING SO SHOULD ELIMINATE FROM PUBLIC SCHOOL AND OTHER PUBLIC FACILITIES REQUIRING ADMISSION.
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? NO
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). SOME OF THE TIMING SCHEDULES FOR NEWBORNS DON'T MAKE TOO MUCH SENSE GIVEN THE RISK FOR ALLERGIC REACTIONS COMPARED TO THE RISK OF ACTUAL INFECTION (i.e. WHY DOES A NEWBORN NEED TO START THE HEP B VACCINATION SERIES IMMEDIATELY IF THE MOTHER HAS BEEN VACCINATED? IF NOT FROM THE MOTHER THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO RISK OF INFECTION, IT WOULD SEEM TO MAKE SENSE TO START THAT LATER WITH THE OTHERS)

1. Yes
2. No kids
3. No kids
4. No kids
5. No
6. Yes
7. No
8. Not unless there is a verifiable scientific link shown where scientific consensus reaches that conclusion
9. I don't have any other than they make your baby cry and they may have a slight reaction to it

Answers

5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy?
I wonder if you would get different responses if you worded this question differently. Business interests can have undue influence in government policy without rising to a conspiracy.

1. I think so
2. no kids but I'd plan to vaccinate if I had them
3. n/a
4. n/a
5. no
6. yes
7. no
8. no
9. I haven't given it much thought since I wasn't in charge of my vaccinations and haven't had to make the decisions for others, but I guess the slight chance of complication would be a concern but not enough to outweigh the benefits.
10. bachelor's

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? Yes
2. Are your children vaccinated? Yes
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. On schedule
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? No
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? (I wouldn't lump these together - No on the first and yes for a legitimate physician determined health risk)
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? no
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). I had a bad reaction to a vaccine that caused a high fever and I didn't feel well at all, at all, at all! so I guess that would be my concern, but I have seen no evidence of that in my kids and a fever is better than dying.
10. What is your highest level of education? PhD (in Biology if that matters)

adults get vaccinated? Havent been the doctor in 15 years, personally.

The only one I know of is the TDap booster (or whatever that booster is called). I think it's once every 10 to 15 years.

I wonder if you would get different responses if you worded this question differently. Business interests can have undue influence in government policy without rising to a conspiracy.

True.

The responses I have gotten from anti-vax supporters have leaned toward a government conspiracy- government is paying pharm companies to produce vaccines with the intent of making people sick. Insinuations that some vaccines are too strong and therefore cause an illness, or tainted with bacteria to cause illness so that doctors will Rx meds and pharm industry can get rich.

adults get vaccinated? Havent been the doctor in 15 years, personally.

Depending on your age and when you were vaccinated, you might need a measles booster.

Definitely a tetanus booster every 10 years.

Pneumonia vaccine depending on age and health.

Shingles (zoster) depending on age.

Back