• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaccinations

I know childhood vaccinations are a hot topic right now, but this is not another hateful should/shouldn't vaccinate argument.

I work in public health, and I am very pro-vaccination. My profession has allowed me to, unfortunately, see the misery and devastation measles, Hib, pertussis, etc. can cause. Because of this (and my educational background) I am somewhat biased.

Right now, I am working on a campaign for vaccinating, and I need the board's help. I am interested in opinions/reasons why you do or do not believe in childhood vaccines. Specifically:

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters?
2. Are your children vaccinated?
3. If they are not vaccinated, why?
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule.
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy?
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college?
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues?
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders?
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not).
10. What is your highest level of education?

I know this is lengthy, so even if you only answer one or two, that will still help me tremendously. I tried this on social media, and the results were not what I was expecting. It pretty much turned into a fight and gave me a reason to be concerned about the type of people that are homeschooling their children.

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. N/A
4. CDC Schedule
5. No
6. Yes
7. health related only
8. No
9. That there are stupid ass moms out there who don't vaccinate their kids. Not surprisingly there is a near 100% correlation between these idiots, and people that home school their kids.
10. BS in college

adults get vaccinated? Havent been the doctor in 15 years, personally.

My adult vaccinations are from when I was going to live in Galapagos. and tdap, influenza, etc. I also think I didn't have hep A until I was at the national cancer institute (can't recall for sure)

Last edited:
1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? Yes
2. Are your children vaccinated? Yes
3. If they are not vaccinated, why? N/A
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. Traditional schedule
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? No
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes (in theory - I admittedly haven't done much thinking, reading, research on this, but since I think vaccination is pretty damn important, then my quick answer is yes)
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? No
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? No
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). Basically what bmoney said above about reactions.

+1 for these answers

TDAP booster a few years ago gave me a fever and made me feel crappy for a day or 2, but still better than getting tetanus.

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? I think so.
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. Whatever schedule pediatrician tells us.
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? No, but that would be the lamest conspiracy theory ever. Sasquatch is a motherfucking conspiracy, GTFO with vaccines.
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes. Man, if I got to college and had a roomie who contracted lupus or something, the babes would have stayed away big time.
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? No, but I guess if you're going to die if you get the shot, that's probably a good reason not to, but probably unlikely.
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? No
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). That kid will cry and be annoying in car ride home.
10. What is your highest level of education? NASA astronaut school/JD

Whooping cough (pertussis) booster as an adult also isn't a horrible idea.

(i.e. WHY DOES A NEWBORN NEED TO START THE HEP B VACCINATION SERIES IMMEDIATELY IF THE MOTHER HAS BEEN VACCINATED? IF NOT FROM THE MOTHER THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO RISK OF INFECTION, IT WOULD SEEM TO MAKE SENSE TO START THAT LATER WITH THE OTHERS)

The chance of Hep B infection leading to chronic problems is greatest during infancy- approximately 90%, decreasing as a person gets older. Around 50% of people infected by HepB were infected during infancy. Hep B unlike most viruses can remain stable and infectious on surfaces for up to 7 days. Approximately 40% of people do not even know they are infected with Hep B. Hep B like most vaccines has an effective rate of around 95% meaning vaccination does not guarantee you are not a carrier. Most mothers are not tested for Hep B before giving birth, if you were truly concerned this would be done. Additionally as stated this does not eliminate carriers within your household. Risk of vaccine to risk of subjecting infant to chronic debilitating lifelong disease points towards vaccination at birth, reason why its suggested is because its a lifelong disease that results in chronic care and condition for life so good for society you help eliminate this burden.

Additionally there is this flawed logic that for some reason infants can't handle vaccinations and thats a big reason to delay exposing their precious little bodies to pathogens. A natural birth is one of the dirtiest possible things a newborn is going to be exposed too, hell maybe in their entire life. Also your body is constantly being bombarded by pathogens, way more that anything found in a vaccine.

Answers:
1. Yes
2. No Children but will be
3. N/A
4. Will be traditional
5. I wish
6. Yes, private you can do what you like.
7. Exemptions for health related reasons are real and necessary, that's one reason why the rest of the world needs to be vaccinate. No religious or personal exemptions
8. No to autism but as someone that works in public health you should phrase your questions better, there are links to neurological conditions like Guillan-Barre syndrome like those seen after influenza vaccination, like everything there are assumed risks nothing is 100% safe, you can die from drinking too much water
9. No vaccination concerns, they save lives. Concern is misinformation and the lack of understanding of what diseases we are preventing, the risks almost always outweigh the costs but people are dumb as shit and seem to forget this.
10. MD/PhD

I freaking got whooping cough in grad school. TERRIBLE! I had the tdap after that and then every time I have had a kid

I freaking got whooping cough in grad school. TERRIBLE! I had the tdap after that and then every time I have had a kid

Yeah, my friend got it (even after having had the booster) and she said it was horrendous.

1. Y
2. N/A
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. N
6. Y
7. Y (for health related issues only)
8. Hell N
9. That the increase in anti-vaxxers is resulting in needless and preventable deaths
10. BS

I could have given a "Y" to #5 if the question had more specificity. I certainly don't believe in a conspiracy to poison the populace but would buy into a conspiracy regarding pricing, manufacturing and distribution.

It's amazing how different the answers are on this thread compared to what I received previously.

After reading some of my questions, I realize I should have rephrased or individualized some of them. I did this somewhat on the fly, with the questions off the top of my head and immediately after reading a few surveys.

I think my brain might be fried from trying to rationalize some of the logic behind some very curious responses.

The chance of Hep B infection leading to chronic problems is greatest during infancy- approximately 90%, decreasing as a person gets older. Around 50% of people infected by HepB were infected during infancy. Hep B unlike most viruses can remain stable and infectious on surfaces for up to 7 days. Approximately 40% of people do not even know they are infected with Hep B. Hep B like most vaccines has an effective rate of around 95% meaning vaccination does not guarantee you are not a carrier. Most mothers are not tested for Hep B before giving birth, if you were truly concerned this would be done. Additionally as stated this does not eliminate carriers within your household. Risk of vaccine to risk of subjecting infant to chronic debilitating lifelong disease points towards vaccination at birth, reason why its suggested is because its a lifelong disease that results in chronic care and condition for life so good for society you help eliminate this burden.

But the vast, vast majority of the 50% infancy infections come from the birth/mother, correct? So if you know the mother doesn't have it such that that risk is zero, then how is the infant at risk? The infant isn't going to have sexual or open wound contact before he/she begins to get its other vaccinations. You're not loading them up at birth with the other vaccines, so why that one if you know the risk is next to nothing?
Pregnant women have blood work done multiple times during the pregnancy, and my understanding is that Hep B is part of that (or should be if it isn't).

But the vast, vast majority of the 50% infancy infections come from the birth/mother, correct? So if you know the mother doesn't have it such that that risk is zero, then how is the infant at risk? The infant isn't going to have sexual or open wound contact before he/she begins to get its other vaccinations. You're not loading them up at birth with the other vaccines, so why that one if you know the risk is next to nothing?
Pregnant women have blood work done multiple times during the pregnancy, and my understanding is that Hep B is part of that (or should be if it isn't).

It's almost like you stopped reading his post after the 50% number

Hep B blood work isn't automatically done, i agree that for the most part the greatest risk for transmission would be during the birthing process. In the case that a mother is HBsAG positive, treatment for Hep B is usually done prior to birth to reduce the risk of lateral transmission between mother and fetus. The risk of transmission is not zero outside of the mother and though it can be spread through sexual contact it is mislabeled as a STD. Though the risk is low, the only way to eliminate the potential is the vaccine unless everyone that comes into contact with your infant is being tested. The reason why other vaccines aren't administered at birth is because all vaccines aren't created equal and the Hep B has happen to be shown to provide protection almost immediately, this was done through the previous use of the vaccine before other treatments were developed in Hep B positive mothers to prevent transmission. In an ideal world all vaccines could be administered before the potential to encounter any pathogens. Don't worry though you represent around 50% of parents, the rate at which newborns leave without being administered the Hep B vaccine. Its probably the least followed schedule vaccine, in addition to peoples refusal of flu vaccines.

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? Yes
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. CDC Schedule
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? No.
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes.
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? I can see the purpose and acceptability of health-related exemptions.
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? No.
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). That enough people will not get vaccinated such that diseases like polio and smallpox will return
10. What is your highest level of education? Law school graduate, currently in masters program

if the education component is one your are looking to resolve - don't you further complicate the scenario by only capturing those educated larger at one higher education institution? You might want to get some Liberty and Oberlin grads in on this action for that distribution

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? Not sure. Haven't been to the doctor in about 8 years.
2. Are your children vaccinated? Yes.
3. If they are not vaccinated, why? n/a
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. Not sure. They are 21 and 17, so I don't even know if they are still supposed to get any kind of vaccinations.
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? No
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? No
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). Don't have one
10. What is your highest level of education? Masters

Back