• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaccinations

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? Yes
2. Are your children vaccinated? Yes
3. If they are not vaccinated, why? N/A
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. Adopted at 6 mos, started vax protocol when he came home and he was caught up by age 2 I think. Traditional schedule ever since.
5. Do you believe there is a pharma/government vaccination conspiracy? No
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? For health related issues with doctor's request, yes. No religious exemptions.
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? No
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). Initially we had lots of concern about bad reactions given lack of health history. He had none. Still have concerns about unvaccinated kids and potential risks.

10. Bachelor's

1. Are you vaccinated/up-to-date on boosters? Not sure but doctor didn't give me any shots last visit
2. Are your children vaccinated? N/A
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. N/A
6. Do you agree with mandatory vaccination requirements to attend public/private schools and college? Yes
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? No
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? No
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). nurse catching me looking down her shirt
10. What is your highest level of education? Masters

Have a 7 month old and live in an area that recently had a measles outbreak so immunizations have certainly been on my mind. Our pediatricians office now refuses patients who will not vaccinate which I fully support! I also work in a public school with students with autism so have had contact with parents who believe vaccinations caused their child's autism.

3. If they are not vaccinated, why? na
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. Traditional
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? No
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). I worry slightly about allergic reactions or my little one running a high fever
10. What is your highest level of education? Masters

2. Are your children vaccinated? No kids
4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. If we had kids, we would follow the CDC schedule.
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? Non-religious - no, Health-related - only at physician's request
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). Having been a cancer patient, I worry about contact that kids & adults with compromised immune systems due to chemo/other treatments may unknowingly have with unvaccinated kids.
10. What is your highest level of education? Bachelor's

Amped about the responses here so far.

i would be surprised if anyone on this board that is against vaccines speaks up. there are probably not many (if any) but that could turn in to a sh!t show of a thread.

i would be surprised if anyone on this board that is against vaccines speaks up. there are probably not many (if any) but that could turn in to a sh!t show of a thread.

anti-vaxxers LOVE to tell other people how they feel about it. They would love to turn this thread into a shit show. I just think (hope) they aren't here.

4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. CDC Schedule
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? I only agree with exemptions for health reasons
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). I was concerned that my daughter would be exposed to preventable diseases when she was a newborn and hadn't had her shots yet.
10. What is your highest level of education? JD

Wrangor posted on another thread somewhere about how his wife made the pediatrician change up the immunization schedule due to fears about something or other, and was roundly criticized, so I'd be surprised if he makes an appearance on this thread. Also, I'd like to think this here crowd, most of whom are well educated and graduated from Wake at some point after 198X, is more likely to trust the expertise of actual doctors and not some uncredentialed internet donk or general, unspecified parental "intuition" about what is safe for his/her child.

Well he also disclosed that it was based on his wife's internet research which I think was criticized since the CDC and doctor's have you know, medical degrees.

anti-vaxxers LOVE to tell other people how they feel about it. They would love to turn this thread into a shit show. I just think (hope) they aren't here.

normally yes. just think as the two posts above mention THIS board is not likely to get someone on this thread owning up to believing inaccurate and fake "research".

Have a 7 month old and live in an area that recently had a measles outbreak so immunizations have certainly been on my mind. Our pediatricians office now refuses patients who will not vaccinate which I fully support! I also work in a public school with students with autism so have had contact with parents who believe vaccinations caused their child's autism.
Our ped's office won't even do an adjusted schedule, they are awesome.

I have a FB friend/acquaintance who thinks that vaccines could have caused her first son's autism and therefore didn't get the next 2 vaccinated, though she has been surprisingly quiet about it with her 4th and I am hopeful she's changed her stance, but afraid to engage.

4. If they are vaccinated, are they on the traditional CDC schedule or did you /are you working with your pediatrician and using an alternate dosing schedule. Yes
7. Do you agree with vaccination exemptions for non-religious or health related issues? No, but I understand the difficulty presented by people with very strong religious views
8. Do you believe vaccinations cause autism and other neurological disorders? No, but we may not fully understand cause and effect in certain isolated cases.
9. What was/is your biggest vaccination concern (whether you're vaccinated or not). If any concern regarding vaccination, it would be the one-size-fits all approach. Extremely concerned about the dangers presented to those at risk when people forego vaccinations.
10. What is your highest level of education? Post-Grad (JD)

Last edited:
The chance of Hep B infection leading to chronic problems is greatest during infancy- approximately 90%, decreasing as a person gets older. Around 50% of people infected by HepB were infected during infancy. Hep B unlike most viruses can remain stable and infectious on surfaces for up to 7 days. Approximately 40% of people do not even know they are infected with Hep B. Hep B like most vaccines has an effective rate of around 95% meaning vaccination does not guarantee you are not a carrier. Most mothers are not tested for Hep B before giving birth, if you were truly concerned this would be done. Additionally as stated this does not eliminate carriers within your household. Risk of vaccine to risk of subjecting infant to chronic debilitating lifelong disease points towards vaccination at birth, reason why its suggested is because its a lifelong disease that results in chronic care and condition for life so good for society you help eliminate this burden.

Additionally there is this flawed logic that for some reason infants can't handle vaccinations and thats a big reason to delay exposing their precious little bodies to pathogens. A natural birth is one of the dirtiest possible things a newborn is going to be exposed too, hell maybe in their entire life. Also your body is constantly being bombarded by pathogens, way more that anything found in a vaccine.

Answers:
1. Yes
2. No Children but will be
3. N/A
4. Will be traditional
5. I wish
6. Yes, private you can do what you like.
7. Exemptions for health related reasons are real and necessary, that's one reason why the rest of the world needs to be vaccinate. No religious or personal exemptions
8. No to autism but as someone that works in public health you should phrase your questions better, there are links to neurological conditions like Guillan-Barre syndrome like those seen after influenza vaccination, like everything there are assumed risks nothing is 100% safe, you can die from drinking too much water
9. No vaccination concerns, they save lives. Concern is misinformation and the lack of understanding of what diseases we are preventing, the risks almost always outweigh the costs but people are dumb as shit and seem to forget this.
10. MD/PhD

I have a friend who developed CIDP after she took FluMist. It was probably caused by the live virus vaccine- it's closely related to GBS, and she hadn't been sick prior to the vaccine. Her doctor can't say for sure it was caused by the vaccine, but she no longer takes one.

Her entire family still gets the flu shot. She needs their protection and realizes it was a freak thing.

I have a friend who developed CIDP after she took FluMist. It was probably caused by the live virus vaccine- it's closely related to GBS, and she hadn't been sick prior to the vaccine. Her doctor can't say for sure it was caused by the vaccine, but she no longer takes one.

Her entire family still gets the flu shot. She needs their protection and realizes it was a freak thing.

so IF it caused it it was likely due to the delivery method? (inhale vs shot?) if so that's pretty interesting. i think i have always done the shot.

I wasn't vaccinated until I was 5, but my mom was kinda old world in that as babies/toddlers we rarely left the house.

so IF it caused it it was likely due to the delivery method? (inhale vs shot?) if so that's pretty interesting. i think i have always done the shot.

Not really the delivery method, it's the type of vaccine she took.

FluMist is live (as are MMR & Varicella). It's the actual virus, weakened, that you're receiving. Live vaccines achieve the best immune response.
The flu shot is inactivated (killed). Killed vaccines are pieces of the virus or bacteria that have been grown and killed. They aren't as strong as live (attenuated) vaccines and therefore require more or larger doses to achieve immunity.

My children always receive FluMist. They've never had any problems and no side effects. Diabetics (esp type 1) and immunosuppressed people cannot take FluMist. I take the shot...I am around immunosuppressed people every day, and FluMist does shed. I have to take my shot before my kids do the mist.

The flu shot is not live, flu mist is a live attenuated virus and therefore has greater risks while with some debate providing greater level of production. There is a longer answer to this difference if you are interested about antigen presentation, autoimmunity, and cross-reactivation but the highest risk viruses despite being safe will be those that are still alive, flu mist, polio, smallpox,yellow-fever.

I wasn't vaccinated until I was 5, but my mom was kinda old world in that as babies/toddlers we rarely left the house.

baby-buble-chair.jpg

Back