• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vad Lee, Former Wake QB Recruit, to transfer from GT

I would think he'd be going to an FCS school since he redshirted (I think) his true freshman year. He'd lose a year of eligibility sitting out.

Speaking of recruits...Do y'all think our new Coach Clawson will open up the meat locker and let these young men feast on these T-Bonz that were previously allowed one per person???

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

If my quick read is right, you can transfer intra-conference, but you have to pay your own way for a year.

I think I'm reading that differently. I think it says you have to complete a year in residence before you can compete for the receiving school OR receive athletics related financial aid from the receiving school. So you can't compete AND the receiving school can't pay your way for the one year you can't compete. You can, however, pay your own way or receive non-athletics related financial aid from the receiving school and practice with the receiving school during that one year.

He's got 2 to play 2, why would he not go to FCS?

He's going to go to an FCS school so he can play right away - he's already redshirted and has 2 years to play 2 seasons of eligibility. No way he goes to an FBS school and wastes another season.

btw - here's a current photo of the GT football program:

tire-fire-3.jpg

Also, if the triple-option isn't really your thing then why in the world did you commit to play quarterback there?

Also, if the triple-option isn't really your thing then why in the world did you commit to play quarterback there?

Reading between the lines - Paul Johnson promised him that he'd change the offense substantially with more of a spread passing attack mixed in. He did add several new formations, including the pistol - but the passing game was terribly designed (against Ole Miss we were letting DE's come unblocked except by a RB in the backfield on passing plays, apparently by design. It was beyond stupid) and he rode Vad's ass relentlessly about not being a smooth option QB.

I think he's an enormously talented QB, he has an electric arm and he's pretty athletic. He was square peg in a round hole at Tech because PJ couldn't (or wouldn't) get the offense to work with his skillset. It's pretty clear the two fell out and one of them needed to go (the one not making $3mil+ in this case).

PJ teams tend to regress the longer he is at a school

PJ teams tend to regress the longer he is at a school

Huh? That's just not correct - at both Georgia Southern and Navy he was incredibly consistent year to year.

His biggest problem at GT is that he simply won't (or cannot) recruit. He had a stacked roster left to him by Gailey, who had brought in a top 15 class right before he left. Once those players left the program, he's basically recruited Navy level talent and we've predictably lost to basically every good team we've played for going on 4 years now.

This situation looks like a perfect opportunity for a FCS team to get a "franchise quarterback" for two years and make a serious run at a national title or two. Proven elite talent at QB, add to team with all the other pieces (which are easier to find than talented QB's) and somebody could have a good run ata title. See Delaware and Joe Flacco a few years ago for the model. Which FCS teams have a strong D, good O-line, a good running game and decent receivers - just not a good QB?

He's going to go to an FCS school so he can play right away - he's already redshirted and has 2 years to play 2 seasons of eligibility. No way he goes to an FBS school and wastes another season.

btw - here's a current photo of the GT football program:

tire-fire-3.jpg

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 52s
Word is #GaTech coach Paul Johnson is not happy with the school. Hopes they buy him out, according to a source.

Did you not read Deaconblue's post above? Unless he is a post-grad (too young I believe), it is highly unlikely for him to land at an ACC school.

Yes. Still wouldn't put it past Cutcliffe to make a strong pitch for Lee re: the Manning brothers QB tutelage, etc.

If wanted to be anything other than an option QB, he never should have gone to Tech. Duke would have made more sense.

This situation looks like a perfect opportunity for a FCS team to get a "franchise quarterback" for two years and make a serious run at a national title or two. Proven elite talent at QB, add to team with all the other pieces (which are easier to find than talented QB's) and somebody could have a good run ata title. See Delaware and Joe Flacco a few years ago for the model. Which FCS teams have a strong D, good O-line, a good running game and decent receivers - just not a good QB?

Wofford College.

I can't believe he'd leave as starting QB at an power conference D1 school and transfer to a D1-AA program. Unless JMU was making the jump from D1AA to D1 in 2015.

Back