• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

I was about to do just that after reading this, but I see that the Steam user reviews are "Mostly Negative". I read a few and they're pretty vicious. For now I think I'll just play the base game, maybe check out mods. 90% of why I want to play is to go to where my house is and see what's there.

I think the negative reaction is to the workshop DLCs (of which there are three); the three story DLCs (automatron, far harbor, nuka world) are all pretty fantastic

fair enough tho

I'm a cheap bastard so I hold off of games I want to play (with the notable exception of any numbered Civ) until they hit the right price. Doom and Fallout 4 are a pinch under $20 now, so I just clicked "add to cart" and "purchase for myself". DCDeacon can get his kids the toys they really want for Christmas with the bonus Bethesda is going to pay him now.

The children will be overjoyed. Blessings to you, kind sir.

Hope you enjoy them both. Lemme know what you think.

ps4 slim uncharted edition for $212 cyber monday at amazon (smile.amazon.com same as amazon jut pick a charity and they donate .5%)

Anyone getting FFXV? I confess, I've never liked Final Fantasy games (except FF Tactics, which is great). I feel like I'm watching a Japanese movie with only occasional interruptions for gameplay. Curious if this is the one that will sway me, or if it's more of the same.

Anyone getting FFXV? I confess, I've never liked Final Fantasy games (except FF Tactics, which is great). I feel like I'm watching a Japanese movie with only occasional interruptions for gameplay. Curious if this is the one that will sway me, or if it's more of the same.

I've had it pre-ordered for over a year. The FF series is my favorite series, since the first one. FF Tactics is probably my favorite game of all-time.

I'll agree XIII was a let down. It's like you said about a Japanese movie, but you forgot the part about an incoherent, confusing plot.

XV is getting pretty good reviews. I'm not overly psyched about a return to the draw system from VIII.

I'll also put in a plug for Brave Exivus on iOS and Android, it's a fun FTP game.

I own all the Final Fantasy games (not including the online ones), but it hasn't been a series I've enjoyed in a while. I haven't even played any since IX. Tactics is still amazing, but otherwise my favorite game is probably still the first one, with V coming in second. I'll probably get this one when the price drops a bunch, but it doesn't really excite me at all. I'm glad they are trying something different with it, but there are much better jrpgs out there and have been for years.

ps4 slim uncharted edition for $212 cyber monday at amazon (smile.amazon.com same as amazon jut pick a charity and they donate .5%)

Mine is getting delivered today. $212 straight up is a great price. Ended up spending a bit more than that, but also got rebates through Kohl's that my wife will use, so I think actual price was around $170 or so. Still going to use the Xbox as my primary platform, but there are enough exclusives to make it worthwhile.

From Kotaku's review:

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-the-kotaku-review-1789400066

(As you drive, you can listen to CD soundtracks from old Final Fantasy games; a nice touch.)
And Prompto, playing the role of That Guy, spends every car ride begging you to stop so he can take a picture. Fucking Prompto. (He makes up for it when he hums the Final Fantasy victory music after winning a battle.)

Heavy breathing

What’s strangest about Final Fantasy XV is that it’s essentially two games slammed together. For half a playthrough—or longer, depending how much you explore—you’re on an extravagant road trip, driving from town to town and camping out under the stars. Then the game takes a sudden pivot, ditching the established framework and transforming into something else entirely, sort of like a reverse version of Final Fantasy VI. It’s weird. It’s jarring. And, ultimately, it works. If there’s a lesson to learn from Final Fantasy XV, it’s that a great set of main characters and a killer combat system can prop up just about anything.

It’s uncomfortable, bizarre, and full of weird twists that I won’t spoil, including one dreary chapter that changes up the gameplay entirely and drags on 30 minutes too long. But even the game’s most sluggish moments are worth slogging through for the finale, which is beautiful. The ending hits hard.

The glue holding Final Fantasy XV together, even at its most brittle moments, is the combat system, which ranks among the best I’ve ever encountered in a game like this. It’s an innovative mix of real-time reflexes and cooperative strategy that feels like a natural way for Final Fantasy to step into the modern era.

Combat in FFXV takes place entirely in real time. When you see a monster on the field, you can immediately press a button to attack it. Gone are the menus and separate battle screens of previous Final Fantasys, replaced by a faster-paced system that makes its predecessors’ turn-based combat feel downright pokey by comparison.

The loot system is also a disappointment. Enemies don’t drop gil, only items, but some of those items are necessary for upgrading weapons and finishing quests. The game offers no indication of which items you should save and which are safe to sell. Gil is limited, so this can be really annoying—you have to just cross your fingers and hope you don’t sell something that you might want later.

Sub-par sidequests and loot frustrations aside, there’s still a good reason to explore the sprawling open-world: The dungeons. Just about every dungeon in Final Fantasy XV is excellent, and you’ll never see them all unless you take the time to hunt them down. There are sewers, mines, icy caverns, and swampy thickets. There’s a massive mountain and a haunted castle with secrets that I’ll leave for you to discover. Once you’ve beaten all of these dungeons, you get a reward: More dungeons. This is a game whose camera was clearly designed for open world spaces and can get finnicky when you’re inside. It’s also a game with plenty of weird bugs and glitches, including the occasional crash. So it’s all the more impressive that the dungeons feel like such a highlight.

I’ll add: One hidden post-game dungeon, which took me about five hours to complete, ranks among the most satisfying things I’ve ever done in a video game. It’s one that people will be talking about for a long time.

I don’t know how Final Fantasy XV will be remembered when held up to the rest of the Final Fantasy pantheon. But I do know that it’s got everything I want from a Final Fantasy game. I know that it’ll be yet another snapshot in a life filled with Final Fantasy. Another grand adventure, another gang of worthy heroes; another tale of crystals and magic and betrayal and love, all beautiful melodies and lush scenery and the finely honed complexity of carefully choreographed combat. Onward to secrets beyond the horizon, and don’t forget the Phoenix Down. If that’s not Final Fantasy, I don’t know what is.

I went for the Bethesda hat trick and picked up Wolfenstein: New Order today. I think I'll start with this one (FO4 and Doom were other 2).

I went for the Bethesda hat trick and picked up Wolfenstein: New Order today. I think I'll start with this one (FO4 and Doom were other 2).

Wolfenstein was fun. Final boss was a bit frustrating until I figured out how he worked, but didn't really detract from what was a pretty solid game start to finish. I also got FO4, but Doom is going to wait a bit longer.

picked up witcher 3 complete edition for 25. now if i can only find time to play...

Just noticed that the Hitman franchise is part of the Steam Autumn Sale that ends today. The whole first season is $30, which is well worth it IMO.

Kind of annoyed that Unchartered 4 hasn't really gone on sale yet. The game is 6 months old. C'mon bro.

love the uncharted series but i am having trouble getting into #4. way to much exposition, slow walking and too many cut scenes. enjoy multiplayer as much as ever despite being pretty mediocre.

on another note.

anyone play disney infinity? specifically with the kids? daughter loves star wars (7) and the starter set is only 9.99 at toys r us. i know it's discontinued but picking up some of it at 25% original cost seems like a fun daddy/daughter rainy day activity.

My daughter (9) has been into Infinity for a couple years now. She is also a big Star Wars fan, but she enjoys other Disney characters as well. It is fun sometimes, but my daughter is not goal-oriented when it comes to video games, so we have spent much more time in the Toy Box just chasing each other around than playing the structured part of the game. At 7, the platforming might be a bit tough for your daughter, unless she has been playing games on a console for a while (being used to the controller is an issue). Probably still worth it at $10, though. If she doesn't like it, no big deal. If she does, you can get a bunch of figures very cheap if you look around, and they are good for stocking stuffers or other small gifts.

Need a new XBox game

Options include
NBA 17
NHL 17
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Titanfall 2

Open to others as well. Suggestions?

Back