• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

I think the clunky controls are kind of the point, it’s not supposed to be a game that you can fly through unrealistically.

Yeah there should always be a quick action take all option, hopefully something that can be patched in.

it's possible it's by design but I doubt it

I'm almost certain it is by design. Otherwise, why would they have made individual animations for each action? Not to mention the extreme time of development, size of the team and purported extended hours of said team. It seems like they made a deliberate choice to slow the pace of the game down for aesthetic purposes.

Alright I gotta ask, how the hell did this game get 97/100 on metacritic? It high key sucks

Alright I gotta ask, how the hell did this game get 97/100 on metacritic? It high key sucks

Wut, I’d argue it’s the most groundbreaking open world game since GTA3. I’ve been riding around doing cowboy shit for a week and never had a repetitive interaction or event.

see also: Breath of the Wild

BotW was excellent and a top 5 game of all time, IMO.

I still cant get over the controls. Maybe its because I'm still in this extremely boring linear tutorial and being forced to do stuff that I wouldn't normally do in a game, but its just slow and clunky. Why does it take 45 seconds to walk from one door of a house to another when they're 10 feet away. Why does it take 15 seconds to pick up items off a table. The camera jerks left to right for no reason unexpectedly.

It could be that I'm not used to Rockstar games, fine, but the game movement seems extremely unpolished compared to an Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or BotW roamer type game.

the game movement seems extremely unpolished compared to an Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or BotW roamer type game.

As opposed to unpolished for bugs and weird graphical glitches.

I haven't played RDR (gotta finish Dark Souls on Switch and DQ11 on PC first), but it it's like GTA, I'm sure I'll like it.

It took me 20 minutes to find and shoot two deer. I'm going to wait until I get bored playing COD:Blackout before I try again.

As opposed to unpolished for bugs and weird graphical glitches.

I haven't played RDR (gotta finish Dark Souls on Switch and DQ11 on PC first), but it it's like GTA, I'm sure I'll like it.

I mean sure, every game has bugs. I guess I prefer random bugs and graphic glitches to a control system that makes me want to throw my controller through the tv.

I just expected more. I havent bought a new adventure game since BotW and Skyrim before that so my expectations were high. I see why people love it, but I havent yet been able to get over the controls. They're infuriating.

I'm gonna give it a few more hours of play over the weekend, like I said, maybe getting out of the scripted intro/tutorial will help (wtf is this taking 4 hours to get out of anyways), but my expectations are low at this point.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369

Unlike so many modern open-world games, Red Dead Redemption 2 does not want you to achieve dominance over it. It wants you to simply be in its world, and to feel like a part of it. It’s a crucial distinction, and a big part of what makes it all so immersive and engrossing. The thrill of playing Red Dead 2, like with many other Rockstar games, comes not from how fun or empowering it feels on a moment to moment basis. It comes from the electric sense that you are poking and prodding at an indifferent, freely functioning world.

Yeah I think that mentality has positives and negatives since it’s suppose to be entertainment. Like a large percentage of people don’t want to have to eat, hunt for said food, fish, sleep, have things happen in real time etc.. like you are a fucking tamagotchi.

"doesn't want you to achieve dominance"? lol, not sure why people have to be such apologists. heaven forbid Rockstar's #2 franchise scores something other than 9 or 10

This is where DCDeacon comes in and announces a new Elder Scrolls for Christmas 2018

I'm enjoying the game much more after the 2ish hour intro/tutorial section. Sure, movement is slow (deliberate to be nice??), but you can help the speed (not of animations) a bit by messing with the control sensitivities in the options. There's a toggle run option instead of holding the button down. You don't HAVE to hunt or do most of the general upkeep stuff if you don't want to, it's just in the tutorial to teach you if you want to do it. Riding all over can take time, which I like for the most part, but I think a fast travel option opens up later if I remember correctly. My general point is I wasn't really having much fun during the long tutorial, but once the world opens up it's pretty awesome.

I'm enjoying the game much more after the 2ish hour intro/tutorial section. Sure, movement is slow (deliberate to be nice??), but you can help the speed (not of animations) a bit by messing with the control sensitivities in the options. There's a toggle run option instead of holding the button down. You don't HAVE to hunt or do most of the general upkeep stuff if you don't want to, it's just in the tutorial to teach you if you want to do it. Riding all over can take time, which I like for the most part, but I think a fast travel option opens up later if I remember correctly. My general point is I wasn't really having much fun during the long tutorial, but once the world opens up it's pretty awesome.

Thats good feedback, I'm not out of the tutorial yet

Back