• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

I’m no expert on the industry, but I’m trying to figure out a video game studio is going to make over $7.5B in revenue in a timely fashion. Microsoft and Bethesda must have some unconventional revenue streams in mind. Didn’t Bethesda sign a film rights deal at some point? Obviously they’re hoping Game Pass is huge but they have sell on other consoles to make money, right? $7.5B is several tons of money.

4g0i3d.jpg

no we get it, you think this is a bad deal because big corporation bought another less large corporation

lol, critical thinking is hard, i guess. your TES fanboy is showing

i would also add, specific to the example of Playtonic, that pithily dismissing them because Yooka-Laylee wasn't "genre-defining" is real fucking dumb. making a game like that as an independent studio (from a kickstarter, no less!) is way, way, way, way different than doing so with major publisher funding, and (obviously) comes with significantly different expectations. which is my point-- it seems like microsoft was uninterested in investing resources in the types of games that current Playtonic devs wanted to make (or are good at making). which, uh, was a large part of the studio they bought in their then-record acquisition.

also! a game doesn't have to be "genre-defining" to be good or worth making! this seems obvious, but here we are!

not sure what being a fanboy has to do with it - i think we all hope the games that come out of this are good. if Zenimax was for sale, someone was going to buy it.

hopefully microsoft learned something from the Rare project. The only thing that would worry me is if Microsoft launches some new as yet unmentioned VR or AR product in the next 18 months and Bethesda is the division slated to captain the effort.

I would rather Microsoft buy Bethesda than Apple, Google or Facebook. If they were going to be sold this is best case scenario I think.

I would rather Microsoft buy Bethesda than Apple, Google or Facebook. If they were going to be sold this is best case scenario I think.

the first sentence is true, sure, but it's also an implicit refutation of the second sentence's premise

if zenimax was shopping itself around to the highest bidder, we would have heard about that, i think. the fact that a.) they got sold for so much, and b.) you can count the other companies who might have been willing and able to pull off this sale on one hand, would suggest to me that this was a "make me an offer i can't refuse" scenario

Last edited:
looks like ITC didn't understand the arg and just decided to shitpost his way to what felt like a victory

so much consternation, so little time

nah, just looking for logical consistency, champ

but imagine having such faith in microsoft that you think the only way they could possibly fuck this up is with a hypothetical Kinect 2

here's a summary of what i'm saying, in the interest of clarity:

1.) i like fallout a lot, i am what you might call a fallout fanboy, and i want to see that IP thrive, obviously
2.) there are numerous examples, including ones involving this specific corporation, of major publishers buying beloved dev studios and everything going to shit
3.) it seems like it would be super hard to argue that zenimax was in dire financial straits, and it would be virtually impossible to argue that it was in PANIC SELL mode
4.) microsoft is paying $7.5 billion for zenimax, and there has to be *some level* of expectations of return on investment from microsoft's perspective
5.) we can disagree about how those expectations will manifest, but i would again point to what happened when rare's early xb360 work underperformed sales targets
6.) sure, bethesda's games are surer bets than the new IPs rare was working on, but that's where i would again point to activision's treatment of blizzard as they were putting out successful stuff from their IPs
7.) ultimately, i think this is only a slam dunk from a consumer quality perspective if you're willing to ignore real world examples of similar acquisitions

i hope the deal works! obviously, because i like fallout! as a PC gamer, i'm glad that microsoft's purchase means i'll still be able to play the games. i'm also encouraged by the fact that in recent years microsoft *seems* to be putting a premium on a.) acquiring talented dev studios and b.) giving them time to do their things. but man, i'm nervous, and i just don't know how that philosophy scales to a $7.5 billion purchase

Twitter alerted me to a something.

here's a summary of what i'm saying, in the interest of clarity:

1.) i like fallout a lot, i am what you might call a fallout fanboy, and i want to see that IP thrive, obviously
2.) there are numerous examples, including ones involving this specific corporation, of major publishers buying beloved dev studios and everything going to shit
3.) it seems like it would be super hard to argue that zenimax was in dire financial straits, and it would be virtually impossible to argue that it was in PANIC SELL mode
4.) microsoft is paying $7.5 billion for zenimax, and there has to be *some level* of expectations of return on investment from microsoft's perspective
5.) we can disagree about how those expectations will manifest, but i would again point to what happened when rare's early xb360 work underperformed sales targets
6.) sure, bethesda's games are surer bets than the new IPs rare was working on, but that's where i would again point to activision's treatment of blizzard as they were putting out successful stuff from their IPs
7.) ultimately, i think this is only a slam dunk from a consumer quality perspective if you're willing to ignore real world examples of similar acquisitions

i hope the deal works! obviously, because i like fallout! as a PC gamer, i'm glad that microsoft's purchase means i'll still be able to play the games. i'm also encouraged by the fact that in recent years microsoft *seems* to be putting a premium on a.) acquiring talented dev studios and b.) giving them time to do their things. but man, i'm nervous, and i just don't know how that philosophy scales to a $7.5 billion purchase

i agree with all of this except i just don't think microsoft would make such a move and plan to disrupt the machinery - tit's got to be a "we like what you do, here's more money to do that"

Rare was assigned the Kinect for some reason and I think that was just shoving a square peg into a triangular hole. I don't think anyone could've made that peripheral work, not even nintendo, especially in the early 00's. I'm not sure it's the best case study except in what not to do

The Nvidia graphics card releases have been an absolute disaster. Impossible to get even if you're stalking stocking websites all day. Newegg crashing, Amazon voiding orders. Just total madness.

From someone outside the industry or hobby I was reading about that, what makes these graphics cards so important/valuable?

Back