• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 was my favorite video game of all time. This looks absolutely amazing:

DCD can y'all take some of that cash mound you're sitting on and buy the rights please?

DCD can y'all take some of that cash mound you're sitting on and buy the rights please?

Looks cool, but I'll pass getting involved with the various folks around LotR license. I know it's a bit of a mess.

Maybe it goes the DOTA route. Fan project/mod that turns into a full-fledged game, though the licensed part of this would make that trickier.

My favorite factoid that came out of the Microsoft/Bethesda news is that Cal Ripken Jr. is on the board at Bethesda. How did he swing that?

He's a long-time friend and colleague of our chairman. Cal is a childhood hero of mine, so any time I got invited to a Board dinner, Robert always sat me next to Cal so we could chat. He's just the coolest, most down-to-earth guy and very smart.

Looks cool, but I'll pass getting involved with the various folks around LotR license. I know it's a bit of a mess.

Maybe it goes the DOTA route. Fan project/mod that turns into a full-fledged game, though the licensed part of this would make that trickier.

Yep. The license issue is what killed the original game. Or the servers anyways. Dark day, that.

LOL at ES6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 coming out in the next five years for half the cost.

LOL at ES6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 coming out in the next five years for half the cost.

blizzard ended up being unable to do that with their franchises (world of warcraft expansions excepted), with the pressure to do so driving most of their dev employees away, which is sort of the point

blizzard ended up being unable to do that with their franchises, with the pressure to do so driving most of their dev employees away, which is sort of the point

Right. I thought you were referring to Microsoft possibly putting Bethesda is that same situation.

Right. I thought you were referring to Microsoft possibly putting Bethesda is that same situation.

oh, i thought you were trying to argue through hyperbole that it's a false equivalency

i think we're on the same page

I’m no expert on the industry, but I’m trying to figure out a video game studio is going to make over $7.5B in revenue in a timely fashion. Microsoft and Bethesda must have some unconventional revenue streams in mind. Didn’t Bethesda sign a film rights deal at some point? Obviously they’re hoping Game Pass is huge but they have sell on other consoles to make money, right? $7.5B is several tons of money.

Back