• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Getting the hero’s path was great because it makes it easy to see what parts of the world I haven’t been to yet

I'm not deep into TotK yet.

However, this game is just a full blown joy to play. The world redefines richness in gameworld for me. It's a challenge to look around and not see something interesting.

The fluency of using BotW as a building block, while not making it a prerequisite is just breathtaking. So many times, I think, "I have a small advantage from my familiarity with BotW, but this specific task is crafted so that the past knowledge isn't mandatory, just helpful." From a design perspective, it's flabbergasting how many times they struck that cord just right.

Just finished FF16. I had played FF4-12 except for 11 and skipped out on 13, 14, and 15.

After spending a lot of time playing TOTK, FF16 felt very restrictive, and "action mode" in this game is very easy. My wife, who never gets into video games, was so interested in the story that I was forbidden from playing unless she was present. Currently doing New Game Plus, which does ratchet up the difficulty considerably.

A lot of Final Fantasy games have allusions to real-world religions, but I thought this game's were even more overt than others I have played. The plot line is very gnostic.

I'd recommend TOTK to anyone that enjoys gaming. FF16 is a very niche game. I think Final Fantasy fans will look back on it fondly, but I wouldn't be surprised if it flops financially.

I'm not deep into TotK yet.

However, this game is just a full blown joy to play. The world redefines richness in gameworld for me. It's a challenge to look around and not see something interesting.

The fluency of using BotW as a building block, while not making it a prerequisite is just breathtaking. So many times, I think, "I have a small advantage from my familiarity with BotW, but this specific task is crafted so that the past knowledge isn't mandatory, just helpful." From a design perspective, it's flabbergasting how many times they struck that cord just right.
I'm about 200 hours into TOTK. I still have two areas of the map to unlock. I'll probably take another 150-200 hours to complete all the shrines/lightroots and finish the main quests.

BOTW now seems like an extended tutorial for this game. Anyone can play TOTK without playing BOTW, but I think this would have completely blown people's minds if he came out for the WiiU and debuted with the Switch 6 years ago. I don't think I can fathom what the next game will look like in 2028-30 on the next iteration of the Switch.

Ph and I are on the same playstyle

I quit playing BOTW for a while and then went back and did Rito Village and finished the main quest. Meanwhile my son finished most of the big quests and told me what I missed out on like building Tarrytown and Link’s house. I’m not going to miss out on that stuff this time.

I’m grateful they delayed EA College Football or else I’d be in a hurry to finish in the next two weeks.

you gotta hurry and finish anyway, the two actual best RPGs of 2023 coming out in the next two months, Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield

you gotta hurry and finish anyway, the two actual best RPGs of 2023 coming out in the next two months, Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield
Not really into RPGs and based on what I know, I'm not interested in those games (no offense, DCDeacon). The next big games for me will be Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Wonder which come out on the same day. I'll probably get Street Fighter VI in between too.

About to finish Mass Effect 3 either today or tomorrow. Not at all ready to say goodbye to Shepard and crew. I was planning to jump right into TOTK but I think I might need a video game break for a while after.

Been playing jedi survivor. Good game. Improved mechanics over the original. I'm about 60% through (very rarely bother completing everything so not sure how close I am to the end.

Without spoiling anything, I'm currently trying to beat a boss that is killing me right now. Can't get past the section.

Not really into RPGs and based on what I know, I'm not interested in those games (no offense, DCDeacon). The next big games for me will be Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Wonder which come out on the same day. I'll probably get Street Fighter VI in between too.
Zelda is an RPG though 🤔

Zelda is an RPG though 🤔
Seems like a loose definition of RPG. I've always thought of an RPG as having a big focus on leveling up XP stats, character classes, and multiple forms of combat.

Seems like a loose definition of RPG. I've always thought of an RPG as having a big focus on leveling up XP stats, character classes, and multiple forms of combat.
Nah, it's definitely an action RPG, you assume the role of a single character and have clear power progression (hearts/energy/whatever) as you play through the game + stats on items that you can level up + all the foods/potions and shit are classic RPG elements.

Nintendo even puts it at the top of the RPG category/section of their store:

1689274587162.png

Nah, it's definitely an action RPG, you assume the role of a single character and have clear power progression (hearts/energy/whatever) as you play through the game + stats on items that you can level up + all the foods/potions and shit are classic RPG elements.

Nintendo even puts it at the top of the RPG category/section of their store:
It's also listed under Adventure, but so is Super Mario RPG.

Back