• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

Is Mass Effect any good? After I play through the Ezio trilogy, Red Dead Redemption is next and I'll be looking for something else to get into after that.

Is Mass Effect any good? After I play through the Ezio trilogy, Red Dead Redemption is next and I'll be looking for something else to get into after that.

Yes, although I think the first is the best, they try to appeal more to the audience at large as the series progresses.. which has it's drawbacks.

But all still worth playing for sure.

Dota 2's prize pool for The International 4 has reached $4MM, already nearing double the next highest eSports tournament pool (The International 2013, at $2.8MM). That is an insane amount of money, and it makes me wish that I didn't suck at videogames (relatively speaking).

Dota 2's prize pool for The International 4 has reached $4MM, already nearing double the next highest eSports tournament pool (The International 2013, at $2.8MM). That is an insane amount of money, and it makes me wish that I didn't suck at videogames (relatively speaking).

I was going to post about that considering the recent discussion..

So Valve sells compendiums to raise the prize pool, and they get 7.50 out of every 10 dollars, while the other 2.50 goes directly to the prize pool. That means Valve has made at least 5 million or so already I think from this tournament, based off compendium sales alone (I think the original prize pool was just 1.6 million).. super rough math (from memory, I didn't write it down when I was actually doing the calculations a few days ago).

That's just insane though.

The crowdfunded prize pool thing was brilliant on their parts.

Yes, although I think the first is the best, they try to appeal more to the audience at large as the series progresses.. which has it's drawbacks.

But all still worth playing for sure.

First is the best plot. Second is the best engine. Third is ehhhh...

Big XBOX news: XBOX One without Kinect available in June for $399. Still a slightly weaker system than the PS4, but it is now the same price. However, it is essentially is a completely different machine than what "their vision" was last year at this time.

i downloaded hearthstone last night and promptly stayed up too late messing around with it. anybody else a hearthstoner?

i downloaded hearthstone last night and promptly stayed up too late messing around with it. anybody else a hearthstoner?

Ha, a couple of my friends play it.

I might download it to play around with at some point. Looks like fun.

Big XBOX news: XBOX One without Kinect available in June for $399. Still a slightly weaker system than the PS4, but it is now the same price. However, it is essentially is a completely different machine than what "their vision" was last year at this time.

Honestly surprised since Microsoft said they wouldn't because it's integral to their system.

The crowdfunded prize pool thing was brilliant on their parts.

Yeah, according to RESEARCH, the original prize pool was, indeed, $1.6MM.

I mean, hell, I bought a compendium, and most of my Steam friends list bought a compendium. Just about every matchmaking game I'm in has somebody with a "compendium level" in the 20s or 30s, which I'm pretty sure is only possible at this point by paying real money. It also helps that the compendium is really well thought out as a product, and this again all goes back to Dota 2's interface (which I don't think could ever be praised enough). The game client just makes everything related to The International so accessible and spectator-friendly, and that's such an important part of this self-promotion. Even the commentators for matches are top notch. Everything screams professional.

IN RELATED NEWS: I've been watching the North American TI4 Qualifiers that started yesterday, and Team Liquid is sort of rolling.

I've been a Hearthstone addict for about 3 weeks now. Games are fairly quick (about 15 minutes at most), so it's the perfect thing to do when you're cooking in the kitchen or something.

I've been a Hearthstone addict for about 3 weeks now. Games are fairly quick (about 15 minutes at most), so it's the perfect thing to do when you're cooking in the kitchen or something.

Right, my buddies were just doing their daily tasks or whatevs between classes for the most part.

I'll have to download it and friend you guys later (do they even have dis?)..

Wow. Kinect is dead then. Only chance it ever had to become a part of the system and not just a poorly-supported peripheral was to make a ubiquitous piece of the console.

Wow. Kinect is dead then. Only chance it ever had to become a part of the system and not just a poorly-supported peripheral was to make a ubiquitous piece of the console.

Yeah that's kind of sad, I thought the integration was really neat with the commands and auto-login and stuff, but I guess some peeps just didn't want that.

More important part of their announcement though? :

Along with the less expensive console, Microsoft announced Xbox apps such as Netflix, Hulu and ESPN will be available to all Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners. Previously, access to apps required users to have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, which costs $60 a year. Microsoft will add the Games With Gold service to Xbox One next month as well. The service will provide access to free games for Xbox One users

I keep hoping they'll expand XBox Live (or Wii or whatever) with more throwback stuff along with some more advanced features. I'd pay a nice chunk of change if every couple weeks an older but great game was available for play over Live, and you could load up a bunch of pre-saves that drop you into especially cool parts of the game, or the start of each stage, the final boss fight, etc. Kind of surprised they haven't gotten further than "buy a game via download" and "run an app."

Think about all those suckers who bought a launch XBO with connect...

Seems like without Kinect, there's no reason to get XBO instead of PS4.

Think about all those suckers who bought a launch XBO with connect...

Seems like without Kinect, there's no reason to get XBO instead of PS4.

Which is the strange part about the move. Kinect made the XBOne stand apart, even if some people didn't like it. They also designed the entire UI around it, so taking it out means that they will need to redesign the entire front end, make a seperate non-Kinect version, or keep the one they have which isn't really suited for controller use. Now, they are the same price, but the PS4 is still a more powerful system, because the XBOne hardware was designed with resources specifically reserved for Kinect use. It will eventually come down to which one has the better exclusives, but I don't think Titanfall moved as many units as MS was hoping (hence this move) and I'm not sure what else is coming down the pike for XBOX. If you only buy third party, multi platform games anyway, the PS4 is the better choice.

Back