• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia vs. Wake Forest Game Thread - Fuck It All To Hell

They just destroyed us on Around the Horn.

Anyone have any insight into why Moore only played two minutes? Did he look bad when he got some PT?

Good question. He played awesome for the 90 seconds he was in the game. Seems to be a pattern. Play Moore early and for a couple of minutes. Then bench him the rest of the game. Why play him at all, if you're only going to follow this pattern?

Anyone have any insight into why Moore only played two minutes? Did he look bad when he got some PT?

Ha, not sure if serious considering half the posts are complaining Moore should get more PT. He had an alley-oop dunk, and then he was out again. He looked good.

This is the most accurate post and best advice in the history of all the boards. Anyone whose happiness is tied to WFU sports success will be miserable. The reasons why we can't get it done don't matter. "Following WFU sports is a hobby, not a passion" should become the slogan, motto and mission statement for this board and everyone on it.

It took 40 something years for me to "get it." Now, I watch the games, when I'm in front of a TV and there's nothing better on. I enjoy the games. I hope (only hope, not expect or demand) that WFU will win. When they do, that's really cool. Like seeing a new bird at the feeder, or a mountain lion on the game cam. When they don't, that's OK. Maybe next game.

I laughed when that shot banked in last night. Not a hateful, screw Wellman sort of laugh. A wow, that was crazy sort of laugh.

Maybe it would be more fun to pull for a school with good sports, where winning and devoting the resources to doing it are a priority. But I unknowingly crossed that river back in 1977 when I applied for early decision.

I don't regret it. But I'm through trying to wish it into something it's not.
Kent, Did the success of the '76-'77 team with Rod and Skip ( and the good publicity it generated) have anything to do with your interest in attending WFU?

Good question. He played awesome for the 90 seconds he was in the game. Seems to be a pattern. Play Moore early and for a couple of minutes. Then bench him the rest of the game. Why play him at all, if you're only going to follow this pattern?
I'm looking forward to seeing Moore and Collins on the court most of the time next year. Will miss DT a lot, and I wish they could play more minutes with him this year.

This is very short sighted thinking. I am just as upset as anyone, but if Wake left the ACC we would be just like about 20 other good liberal arts colleges that no one outside of their state has ever heard of. No more televised games, no more mention in the national media, no more bowl games. Just a pea ant college in a bucolic southern town. Being in the ACC has done more for Wake's reputation than anything else that we have done.

Bud, no, this is hard reality thinking for the long run, not the near term. The fundamental long term problem is that Wake is in over its head in a mega-conference of mega-money comprised of mostly truly major athletic programs some of which are not academically driven - a very far cry from the 8 team ACC of a few years ago. Yet we need the conference cash to continue. This trajectory based on under 5000 students and a tiny alumni base in a high roller's conference is simply not sustainable. Reputation? I wonder where you live. From Durham east, with Wake long gone from the old campus and new reporters hardly knowing where Winston Salem is, Wake is already effectively considered as out of state somewhere in a small town near Clemson or Asheville. How many people in the new ACC sports market even know where WS is located? Other than in WS or perhaps Charlotte, Wake is already like the 20 other good to excellent colleges you want to avoid. By the way, have you no respect for Davidson, or Emory (with no big time athletics).

Being in the ACC a boon to our reputation? Sure, when it was a regional conference with the ACC touarny next door , Wake benefited greatly. That is all changing. With TV coverage world wide via ESNP3, how impotent did Wake look last night and how long to recover from it? If you are going to run with the big dogs, beware of what you are asking. Out of the ACC and no TV or respect? Since the advent of the new ACC, is the "market" really watching Wake? or is it most often the opponent? National media? Try asking someone in the ACC market who a Demon Deacon or Deac is as opposed to a Blue Devil or a Tar Heel. Go to Walmart and try to find something "Wake" Look at this month's "Our State" magazine and find a photo grill offering showing Duke, NCSU, and UNC - not Wake or ECU. Our becoming a minor player in the eyes of the general public has been going on for some time now. Not because we have lessened but because of others have grown. Even worse I contend the public now believes we have been outpaced in athletics, research, medical, and academics by Duke over the past 25 years. (You wont realize that if you live near WS. Unfortunately, remaining in the ACC will only exacerbate this awful dilemma Wake finds itself.

There, I have thrown up and feel better already.

Bud, no, this is hard reality thinking for the long run, not the near term. The fundamental long term problem is that Wake is in over its head in a mega-conference of mega-money comprised of mostly truly major athletic programs some of which are not academically driven - a very far cry from the 8 team ACC of a few years ago. Yet we need the conference cash to continue. This trajectory based on under 5000 students and a tiny alumni base in a high roller's conference is simply not sustainable. Reputation? I wonder where you live. From Durham east, with Wake long gone from the old campus and new reporters hardly knowing where Winston Salem is, Wake is already effectively considered as out of state somewhere in a small town near Clemson or Asheville. How many people in the new ACC sports market even know where WS is located? Other than in WS or perhaps Charlotte, Wake is already like the 20 other good to excellent colleges you want to avoid. By the way, have you no respect for Davidson, or Emory (with no big time athletics).

Being in the ACC a boon to our reputation? Sure, when it was a regional conference with the ACC touarny next door , Wake benefited greatly. That is all changing. With TV coverage world wide via ESNP3, how impotent did Wake look last night and how long to recover from it? If you are going to run with the big dogs, beware of what you are asking. Out of the ACC and no TV or respect? Since the advent of the new ACC, is the "market" really watching Wake? or is it most often the opponent? National media? Try asking someone in the ACC market who a Demon Deacon or Deac is as opposed to a Blue Devil or a Tar Heel. Go to Walmart and try to find something "Wake" Look at this month's "Our State" magazine and find a photo grill offering showing Duke, NCSU, and UNC - not Wake or ECU. Our becoming a minor player in the eyes of the general public has been going on for some time now. Not because we have lessened but because of others have grown. Even worse I contend the public now believes we have been outpaced in athletics, research, medical, and academics by Duke over the past 25 years. (You wont realize that if you live near WS. Unfortunately, remaining in the ACC will only exacerbate this awful dilemma Wake finds itself.

There is no reason Wake cannot compete in basketball. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

There is no reason Wake cannot compete in basketball. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

That should be true; however, we needed a coach who had experience in rebuilding burned down programs. The combination of the ACC and a program on life-support is a tough assignment for something of a novice coach.

I did not recognize that so much until now.

Bud, no, this is hard reality thinking for the long run, not the near term. The fundamental long term problem is that Wake is in over its head in a mega-conference of mega-money comprised of mostly truly major athletic programs some of which are not academically driven - a very far cry from the 8 team ACC of a few years ago.

On the contrary, I think college basketball has more parity and is easier to compete in now than it ever has been. We have HUGE advantages in resources, facilities, conference, and history over many of the teams that have been much better than us for the last 6 years...we simply need a coach and leadership capable of taking advantage of them. The mega conferences were created for football and have little to do with our ability to compete in basketball.

Kent, Did the success of the '76-'77 team with Rod and Skip ( and the good publicity it generated) have anything to do with your interest in attending WFU?

A little. I was interested in WFU because family members had attended. This was pre-internet, so there was a lot less accessible information. I was very much into that team, but I was leaning towards WFU already.

Having said that, I am positive sports success is invaluable PR in the ESPN/internet era.

I mean, look at what Clemson is doing this year in the ACC.

On the contrary, I think college basketball has more parity and is easier to compete in now than it ever has been. We have HUGE advantages in resources, facilities, conference, and history over many of the teams that have been much better than us for the last 6 years...we simply need a coach and leadership capable of taking advantage of them. The mega conferences were created for football and have little to do with our ability to compete in basketball.

Agreed. College basketball is all about the coach. Just have to get a stud somehow.

It's not Wake Forest which is in another state. It's New Bern. Little Washington ain't Washington, DC. Wake Forest has less NC feel to it than it did back in the day, but it's more of a national university now. It's in the Southern Ivy League but it has never been in the same conversation with Duke, which is an Ivy League school stuck in Derm.

2015 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 68-63 Wisconsin Indianapolis, Ind.
2014 Connecticut (32-8) Kevin Ollie 60-54 Kentucky Arlington, Texas
2013 Louisville (35-5) Rick Pitino 82-76 Michigan Atlanta, Ga.
2012 Kentucky (38-2) John Calipari 67-59 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2011 Connecticut (32-9) Jim Calhoun 53-41 Butler Houston, Texas
2010 Duke (35-5) Mike Krzyzewski 61-59 Butler Indianapolis, Ind.
2009 North Carolina (34-4) Roy Williams 89-72 Michigan State Detroit, Mich.
2008 Kansas (37-3) Bill Self 75-68 (OT) Memphis San Antonio, Texas
2007 Florida (35-5) Billy Donovan 84-75 Ohio State Atlanta, Ga.
2006 Florida (33-6) Billy Donovan 73-57 UCLA Indianapolis, Ind.
2005 North Carolina (33-4) Roy Williams 75-70 Illinois St. Louis, Mo.
2004 Connecticut (33-6) Jim Calhoun 82-73 Georgia Tech San Antonio, Texas
2003 Syracuse (30-5) Jim Boeheim 81-78 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2002 Maryland (32-4) Gary Williams 64-52 Indiana Atlanta, Ga.
2001 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 82-72 Arizona Minneapolis, Minn.
2000 Michigan State (32-7) Tom Izzo 89-76 Florida Indianapolis, Ind.
1999 Connecticut (34-2) Jim Calhoun 77-74 Duke St. Petersburg, Fla.

It's all about the coach, and who can recruit and get the most NBA players to play together quickly as a team.

Last 17 NCs

# Coach

3 Coach K

3 Calhoun

2 R. Williams

2 Donovan

1 G. Williams, Izzo, Boeheim, Self, Calipari, Pitino (won one two years earlier), Ollie(?)

With a bunch of runner-ups and final fours sprinkled in. The parity shows up with Butler, VCU, George Mason make a run, but in general the heavy hitters for the last 20 years are involved in the finals.

Well the silver lining is that we will be mentioned in every college basketball game this year if Team A is losing by a substantial margin to Team B with little time left. Just like the Duke/Miami football game(which I went to and left with 5 secs left...doh).

Having come to Wake from out of state and spending almost all of my working life outside the ACC territory, I can say I don't have to explain to anybody that it's Wake Forest not Lake Forest, which was the case pre-Duncan era.

Most of the people that know of Wake but have not real information are shocked to know we are one of the smallest school in the major conferences.

Let's try not to go back to the days of when many rationalized that we couldn't compete because of French Lit.

There is no doubt, that while frustrating, this team is the most enjoyable to watch in the past 6 years. Obviously, they are not where we all would like them to be and we should not be satisfied by that, but people are acting like we losing to Stetson and Presby at home.

That shot bounces off the rim, we are all pretty darn happy today and glad we held them off. Sure we'd over analyze it, but no one would writing off the sport. Seems like a pretty fine line there.

Well the silver lining is that we will be mentioned in every college basketball game this year if Team A is losing by a substantial margin to Team B with little time left. Just like the Duke/Miami football game(which I went to and left with 5 secs left...doh).

Yep- Alexander said it last night at the end of the GT at cow college game.

We are the Yogi Berra of the college game- it ain't over till it's over. :(

Having come to Wake from out of state and spending almost all of my working life outside the ACC territory, I can say I don't have to explain to anybody that it's Wake Forest not Lake Forest, which was the case pre-Duncan era.

Most of the people that know of Wake but have not real information are shocked to know we are one of the smallest school in the major conferences.

Let's try not to go back to the days of when many rationalized that we couldn't compete because of French Lit.

There is no doubt, that while frustrating, this team is the most enjoyable to watch in the past 6 years. Obviously, they are not where we all would like them to be and we should not be satisfied by that, but people are acting like we losing to Stetson and Presby at home.

That shot bounces off the rim, we are all pretty darn happy today and glad we held them off. Sure we'd over analyze it, but no one would writing off the sport. Seems like a pretty fine line there.

And when they are told of Wake's size invariably they can't believe we continue to try so foolish an effort

Ask Megatron what he thinks about WF being in the ACC.

It has been done before by LOWF and we will rise again!

Back