• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VMI Game Thread

The penalties are the major negative takeaway for me, and we have years of rarely-penalized Clawson teams to reassure us that issue will be resolved.

Other than that, we were playing an FCS school and using pretty basic offensive/defensive schemes, so its pretty hard to have major positive or negative takeaways. Individual players looked good, including Griffis, but even that isn’t really worth thinking too hard about until we see them on the field against a team that actually plays at the same level of football that we do.

He was really good tonight. I'll see more in film review and PFF's grades help, but I tweeted during the game it felt like his "arrival." He has not looked that good in fall camp.

Of course, everything about this comes with the asterisk of it being an FCS team.

Last night I found something worse than instant replay - dead time for instant replay without even showing the replay. Any idea why Wake doesn’t show the replays on the Jumbotron?

You guys realize we are going vanilla against an FCS team in week 1 right?

Also, #12 OkSt wins 58 - 44 vs Central Michigan. So, there's another Wk 1 data point

Central Michigan beat OSU in Stillwater a few years ago. Cowboys fans were shitting their britches all week ahead of this one.

You guys realize we are going vanilla against an FCS team in week 1 right?

If you can't completely control a game against VMI in base defense and vanilla offense, you've got a problem.

Central Michigan beat OSU in Stillwater a few years ago. Cowboys fans were shitting their britches all week ahead of this one.

And VMI beat Samford last year who just about beat Florida. I don't think VMI is that bad of an FCS opponent. They looked better than Duquesne, who Florida State beat by about the same score

We should be practicing today.

In case it was originally scheduled as an off day or lift day.

Snapping to the punter, running backs getting steamrolled, D-Line getting off blocks and some other stuff need work now.

Cooley might be my favorite player - he fits well behind our big offensive line. We seem like we can really run block well.

Felt the opposite. Most of the time, Mitch had all day to throw. But very few significant holes opened up, and most of the RB yardage, even some of the big plays, came after contact. I get that our slow mesh doesn't always allow them to road-grade big holes, but that was my take. I'd love a stat on how often, vs. VMI, our RBs were hit within 2-3 yards of the LOS.

And if they can't hold blocks long enough against VMI to create holes, how are they going to do against Clemson? I still don't think that game plan results in positive rushing yards vs. Clemson. But hopefully we'll have a lot more wrinkles and have Sam back.

Last night I found something worse than instant replay - dead time for instant replay without even showing the replay. Any idea why Wake doesn’t show the replays on the Jumbotron?

Honestly no idea. Believe they've always done it in the past so ... maybe just a Game 1 thing that fell by the wayside? If it's still the case for the Liberty game I'll ask around.

with the mesh RPO, the OL doesn't drive on runs like a typical offense, so it's a little hard to separate scheme from individual ability

but you would have liked to see some bigger holes more regularly in the run game against VMI

I could be wrong but felt like last night saw more designed runs and designed passes and less RPO.

Not sure what to make of it re: performance, etc. but Griffis seemed to keep the mesh back further away from the LOS than Sam does - So delaying a handoff at the point of handing it off while reading rather than the moving toward the line together with the RB.

Given our very experienced and deep OL and our inability to blow VMI off the ball is cause for some concern. By the 2nd half, we should have been creating major holes and I didn't see many or maybe we did and the RBs missed them.
Also, very little penetration from the DL.

I have complete faith Clawson will address it. To what extent he can actually fix it in a week... I have no idea. He was not thrilled in his presser.

Griffis was definitely a positive for the evening.

I could be wrong but felt like last night saw more designed runs and designed passes and less RPO.

We started and struggled a little more with our traditional RPO, but Mitch was much more successful in a traditional shotgun set with play action passes and designed bootlegs. The mesh has to be extremely difficult to practice without real game reps. I think/hope it's something he can pick up on. He had a great night, and there are still somethings to work on with his management of the pocket, reads, etc.

Kobe Turner can move for a DT.
WF is so deep at WR.
Griffis can play. He's far more accurate than expected. 72% with a couple batted balls and a drop.
Like our corners, wish the staff would trust them to press a little more.

---

Not a shocker, but we miss Zach Tom a lot.
Not sure we have the tackles to leave them one on one on slow developing plays. Almost every ACC opponent has at least one future NFL DE. That is scary against our tackles.
Realize that WF employs a different type of blocking scheme, but the lack of any OL push near the goal line against VMI is a bad sign.
RB pass pro was atrocious.
Had to be the most penalties of any Clawson-coached WF team.
Need better pressure from WF DEs.

Think VMI is better than past editions for them, but WF has a lot to work on to beat mid-level Power V teams. Line play will have to improve massively for WF to be an elite 2022 team.

Given our very experienced and deep OL and our inability to blow VMI off the ball is cause for some concern. By the 2nd half, we should have been creating major holes and I didn't see many or maybe we did and the RBs missed them.
Also, very little penetration from the DL.

I have complete faith Clawson will address it. To what extent he can actually fix it in a week... I have no idea. He was not thrilled in his presser.

Griffis was definitely a positive for the evening.

We did rush for over 200 yards and more than 5ypc. OL miscues were a bigger problem than blocking.

I remember feeling really anxious after we didn't look sharp for ODU last year, and that turned out ok.

Back