• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VOTE AGAINST

I agree with you guys, but there's more than that. When people have exams all week and are cramming last minute (which is their fault), the last thing they're thinking about is going out to vote...

But still, a ton of out-of-staters. So it really wouldn't have done much anyway.

It is apathy. I voted every time I could at Wake. I guarantee you being married and working full time is busier than studying for exams.

It is apathy. I voted every time I could at Wake. I guarantee you being married and working full time is busier than studying for exams.

Ehh... I've seen some pretty adderall-ridden, sleep deprived messes walking around. Marriage doesn't do that to you in 4 days last time I checked.

Ehh... I've seen some pretty adderall-ridden, sleep deprived messes walking around. Marriage doesn't do that to you in 4 days last time I checked.

People are also idiots and study for exams in the wrong way.

546149_3097313003106_1572546312_32172123_617466528_n.jpg

Wish Wake was on there. Stupid Forsyth County...

According to the GSO paper, Guilford County voted in favor of the amendment by a margin of less than 1 percentage point. FWIW.

I'm curious how issues like this will effect new young voters? Will the landslide result make them politically apathetic in the future? I'm also curious about their views on religion going forward as well. I imagine results like these would push the divided masses farther apart.

WRAL has New Hanover as voting for the amendment by less than a percentage, not against as that map shows.

Last edited:

Is that the last time you checked when you were married and had a job?

I can understand many reasons for not going to the polls. With a full appreciation for apathy being one of them, but I just don't think exams is the excuse I would get behind and defend to the end.

Trust me. Are you married and working or have you seen them walking around because you are a student? I have been a student. Undergrad and law school. :thumbsup:

I agree with you guys, but there's more than that. When people have exams all week and are cramming last minute (which is their fault), the last thing they're thinking about is going out to vote...

Then they have a rude ass awakening coming up later in life when they have a husband/wife, 9-10 hour a day job, kids, civic commitments, etc and they have to figure out how to vote.

Edit: Looks like someone already made the comment...that's what I get for not checking the next page.

Just sent out by the LGBTQ Center Director:

Dear Wake Forest Community,

Last night, I went to bed with a heavy heart, devastated that the people of our state could have passed such a harmful, divisive, and mean-spirited amendment. This morning I woke up and knew that there are things that I need to say to you.

First, this is not over. Amendment One passed, but it will eventually be repealed. And the bottom line is, we never should have been voting on these issues in the first place. Civil rights do not belong on a ballot.

Second, I am heartened by the love, support, and activism I have seen across our campus, our community, and our state these past few months. I am inspired by the hours that you spent writing letters, making phone calls, fasting, protesting, working the polls, and having meaningful conversations with people in your dorms, your families, and your organizations. I know that this was not easy, and that many of you were met with hatred, fear, or dismissal. It takes a huge amount of courage to stand up for that which you believe when the world is telling you to be silent. I am so proud of all of you.

Finally, throughout this campaign, we have all heard negative messages about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning people, and the allies who love us. The proponents of this amendment have said, implicitly and explicitly, that our lives are not as valuable, our relationships not as meaningful, and our families not as worthy. This is not true. Every single one of you is beautiful and perfect, exactly the way you are.

Please know that if you need support, I am here for you. You can call or email me any time. There are many other campus resources available to you as well, including the Counseling Center, the Chaplain’s Office, and the Office of Multicultural Affairs. I am happy to work with any of you individually to find someone who can give you the support you need.

You are loved and supported by people all across the Wake Forest community. You are loved and supported by me, and my family. You are loved and supported by each other. Drop by the LGBTQ Center to see the messages of love that people have left on the door. Take a moment to write one of your own.

You are our future, and I believe in you. The passage of Amendment One is a setback, but it is not the end. I will be here, standing at your side, as we continue to create change. Together, we will build a better North Carolina, and a better world.

Let's start by joining the students of GSSA in a 5-minute Stand for Solidarity tomorrow at 1pm on Mag Quad. Wear tie-dye or rainbow colors, if you are able.

Is that the last time you checked when you were married and had a job?

I can understand many reasons for not going to the polls. With a full appreciation for apathy being one of them, but I just don't think exams is the excuse I would get behind and defend to the end.

Last time I checked was when I talked to people whoa are. Most of them enjoy it. I'm not defending the people who have to cram, I'm just saying I wouldn't be worried about it either in their cases.

Then they have a rude ass awakening coming up later in life when they have a husband/wife, 9-10 hour a day job, kids, civic commitments, etc and they have to figure out how to vote.

Edit: Looks like someone already made the comment...that's what I get for not checking the next page.
Was never a problem for either of my parents, any of my grandparents, etc. Idk, I've never had a problem in any case in my one experience voting :p

Was never a problem for either of my parents, any of my grandparents, etc. Idk, I've never had a problem in any case in my one experience voting :p

We aren't saying it is a problem for us. We voted. We are just saying if people can't make the time as students they never will.

546149_3097313003106_1572546312_32172123_617466528_n.jpg

Wish Wake was on there. Stupid Forsyth County...

Just saw this on fb and called the guy out on it. Both Guilford/New Hanover (GSO/ILM) were "For". Guilford was by less than 75 votes.

I'm firmly against but you're (not you.. whoever made it) making an ass out of yourself by changing facts to fit your point.

Just saw this on fb and called the guy out on it. Both Guilford/New Hanover (GSO/ILM) were "For". Guilford was by less than 75 votes.

I'm firmly against but you're (not you.. whoever made it) making an ass out of yourself by changing facts to fit your point.
I didn't read into it that much, just thought it was clever.

Correct. And to look at it from the other side; Dems stonewalled the will of the voters until Pubs gave the people a chance to express their wants.

We live in interesting times.

I'm sure that there are plenty of things that would pass if we put it up for a popular vote. I bet if we said killing Hispanics was legal and put it up for a vote it would pass in NC. Some things should just not be voted on.

I bet if we said killing Hispanics was legal and put it up for a vote it would pass in NC.

You realize that stupid statements like this only serve to hurt your argument, right?

Back