• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voting for a presidential candidate other than Obama or Romney

seventwofour

Reaction score
Who here is planning to vote third party? The "lesser of two evils" argument is getting a lot of play, especially among Democrats. It's really disheartening. I figure Johnson gets the bulk of the third party vote this year. It's a real shame that progressive politics have no place in the mainstream.

"Lesser of two evils" is a smart play unless you want the more evil one to be president. Democrats have learned that lesson.

I'm not but would vote for Johnson if I were. I like him from what I've seen of him. Whatever you do, don't vote for Virgil Goode. He was my congressman and is an ignorant and massive tool.

But yes, as we've occasionally discussed before, we need more parties. I'd much rather have a Euro type of system where parties have to form coalitions in order to govern.

I am voting for Johnson. Only way to send a message to the GOP (and to a lesser extent, the Dems) that somebody needs to represent the socially liberal/fiscally responsible denizens of this country. Until we start voting that way we're going to get more of the same.

I'm voting for Johnson.

More parties equals a larger voice for radicals and fringe elements. I'm happy with the system we've got that drives national candidates towards the center.

bartlet+for+america.jpg

My job as a voter is not to pick the guy who I think will win. I am voting for Johnson since he most closely aligns with my views as a citizen.

Since there is no "I voted for this guy because he was a little less bad than that guy" selection, each party thinks that a vote for them is a vote FOR them. Therefore, you can not change the direction of the country if you continue to vote for crap.

My job as a voter is not to pick the guy who I think will win. I am voting for Johnson since he most closely aligns with my views as a citizen.

Since there is no "I voted for this guy because he was a little less bad than that guy" selection, each party thinks that a vote for them is a vote FOR them. Therefore, you can not change the direction of the country if you continue to vote for crap.

I think it is very reasonable to vote for the guy you can tolerate over the guy you really really don't want to be president.

I guess it is a matter of are you voting "for" something/policies/someone, or "against" someone/policies/something.

what needs to happen is someone has to find a way to turn this two party system into an 8 party system, like most normal countries. then we have actual alternatives, not just two parties that are defacto essentially the same.

I guess it is a matter of are you voting "for" something/policies/someone, or "against" someone/policies/something.

Yes. As much as I wish Johnson had a reasonable platform and opportunity to be a legitimate candidate, voting for him is like watching Falcons-Cowboys last night and rooting for the Broncos.

what needs to happen is someone has to find a way to turn this two party system into an 8 party system, like most normal countries. then we have actual alternatives, not just two parties that are defacto essentially the same.

We do have an 8 party system. The parties have just picked their sides and movement of a party to the other side happens over several election cycles.

"I'm David Axelrod, and I really, really, really approve of this thread. Thanks, Suckers."

We do have an 8 party system. The parties have just picked their sides and movement of a party to the other side happens over several election cycles.

touche

Back