• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voting for a presidential candidate other than Obama or Romney

Ross Perot won 18.9% of the popular vote in 1992 and 8.4% the next time. Yet nothing changed and we had a virtual tie in the next election. What makes people think a vote for Gary Johnson is going to make a difference?

It's just a matter of principle, it won't be enough to change anything immediately but it is better than doing nothing.

I can't remember a quote I read a while back but it said something to the effect of: "The biggest evil of this world is not evil itself but innocent bystanders doing nothing in the face of evil."

"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissention, which in different ages & countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders & miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security & repose in the absolute power of an Individual: and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty." — George Washington, September 19, 1796

I voted for Johnson. I know it won't change anything, I just don't believe in either major candidate (or party). If I felt like North Carolina or the election were really 'in play,' I would have made a choice between Romney and Obama.

Republicans were falling all over themselves to identify with Ayn Rand and call themselves libertarians. And where did the Ron Paul people go? They're holding up Romney signs.

I'm not sure about that. I don't know if I'd ever have the balls to pull the lever for Ron Paul, but I support a lot of his ideas (in the broad sense), and would never stump for Romney. I'm likely voting for Obama tomorrow over Johnson, but if Johnson was viable I'm not sure I would do that.

Write in vote for [Redacted] so he moves on to bigger and better things

I have never heard of Rocky Anderson. Heard of Stein and wouldn't vote for her for the reason Prof mentioned. What party is Anderson with?

Write in vote for [Redacted] so he moves on to bigger and better things

This country is already in the sh!tter and you want to [Redacted] it? That guy would turn us 3rd world with less that one turn. All the while wellman saying "we will become a world super power the right way with the right culture. Ivy league grade please leave for Canada. We have a 7 man class coming in..."

Just voted for Gary Johnson and Barbara Howe, those were the only two libertarians on the ballot. The rest of my votes were Democrats. I still have never voted for a Republican.

Back