• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voting for a presidential candidate other than Obama or Romney

Thanks. That's all I need to know. I'd probably vote for George W Bush over him, in that case.

BKF is no libertarian. Nonetheless it is worth observing that if the libertarian candidate had been elected in 2000, there most certainly would not have been a war in Iraq, and we might not even be occupying Afghanistan right now. It's a lot easier to "fund the government" when you're not spending 50% of the planet's military dollars and occupying middle eastern countries for no good reason.

Not when both guys are basically the same. I know I am a broken record but apart from rhetoric an Obama 2nd term and a Romney Administration would be almost indistinguishable on real issues.

Depends on what issues are "real" to you.

What percent of the vote does everyone think Johnson is going to get? I say 1.5-2%

It'll prolly vary by state. I read where he may get 2-3% in OH & CO - but be taking more from Romney in OH and be taking more from Obama in CO (the pothead vote that would otherwise vote for Obama). Wouldn't be surprised if Johnson and Goode combined get 3% in VA (which would be coming from Romney).

The bankrupting of America for one.

Meh.

Social issues (marriage equality and women's rights to choose), a free and open internet, and research in medical science and technology affect my daily life a lot more. Especially if, as you've said, both candidates are equally likely to "bankrupt America"

I'm curious if some of the Johnson voters in this thread would've done the same if Romney had a better chance at winning.

I'm curious if some of the Johnson voters in this thread would've done the same if Romney had a better chance at winning.

That actually says a lot more about the "conditional" nature of your vote than mine.

Meh.

Social issues (marriage equality and women's rights to choose), a free and open internet, and research in medical science and technology affect my daily life a lot more. Especially if, as you've said, both candidates are equally likely to "bankrupt America"

The President has virtually nothing to do with any of those.

I am voting in VA and most polls have it dead even here.

Who appoints Supreme Court justices? Who appoints the head of the FCC?

The President has much more to do with social issues than they do with the economy.

All of which have to go through a confirmation process. Thank goodness there are checks and balances in place. Given the partisanship in Congress in recent years I feel safe in saying any USSC nominee is going to have to be decently moderate to stand any chance at being confirmed. Someone like Scalia would be DOA.

Yes. I am sick of the two major parties and I'm not casting my vote for them in presidential elections any more. Probably not in Senate or House elections either, although often there is no other choice on the ballot for those.

All of which have to go through a confirmation process. Thank goodness there are checks and balances in place. Given the partisanship in Congress in recent years I feel safe in saying any USSC nominee is going to have to be decently moderate to stand any chance at being confirmed. Someone like Scalia would be DOA.

you mean recently appointed moderates like Alito and Sotomeyor?

PH, what's your solution for someone like me who considers themselves a progressive and is dismayed by Obama's kill list, use of drone warfare, excessive corporate welfare, weak healthcare plan, and more? Lesser of two evils is still evil, especially when there are other choices.

This brings up an interesting point, what do you Obama supporters think of these policies? I was beyond shocked when I first found out about these. Some people go so far to say that these are untrue.

This brings up an interesting point, what do you Obama supporters think of these policies? I was beyond shocked when I first found out about these. Some people go so far to say that these are untrue.

I guess Tony Stark is more Warren Buffet than David Koch.

It's just funny that a lot of people that like Obama don't even know why they are voting for him, they are just half-witted sheep.

Skins, "libertarian" was one of the big buzz words in the summer and the Libertarian Party hasn't capitalized even with a legit candidate. I bet Johnson isn't even carrying 30% of Ron Paul diehards. That's on the party if they want to fight the current system.

It's just funny that a lot of people that like Obama don't even know why they are voting for him, they are just half-witted sheep.

Or a lot of people take the policies they DO like and weigh them against the policies they DON'T like and see that Obama comes out ahead.

Back