• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VT @ WF — Saturday 3:30 RSN

Andersen should get a scholarship retroactively if allowed. He has earned it and then some. We should use Andersen's rise to stardom as a recruiting tool for walk-ons, not that there are many like him out there. "Come to Wake Forest as a preferred walk-on and you'll get every chance." Nebraska used to get many productive walk-ons back in the day. Now, the Corns don't get that many productive scholarship players.

We’ve owned the Old North State in recent years and this year we own the Commonwealth. Good feeling. Especially tech, with the lack of success we’ve had against them and the occasional dirty play that they showed.

PFF has Roberson graded out as the best receiver in football for the second straight week.

Since watching his film from Hertford County High School I’ve always been impressed with easily overlooked intangibles.
Roberson is money hauling in the ball. And he has very solid breakaway speed and mobility after catch. Not a burner but pure money for a QB.

Someone else may have already posted this, but Wake's D has given up 19 points in the last 6 quarters. It gave up 20 alone in the 1st half against UVa, 27 in the 1st half against Clemson, and 20+ in both halves against State.

Pretty remarkable. I hope it continues.

Upon further reflection, a couple of thoughts on the game yesterday.

4th down was the difference in this game, and Clawson coached to win. His decisions to go for it and the decision to punt on the last drive were perfect. His play calling on 4th down was perfect. I loved the outside run on one of the 4th downs, and I loved the decision to punt and play prevent D.

4th down execution was outstanding. The blocking on the running plays was excellent, and the punt/punt coverage was an enormous play.

Nick Sciba was obviously frustrated he didn't get the chance to kick the FG and go up by 10. I'm glad he wants the opportunity, but he's got to trust his teammates and coaches. If there were 2-3 minutes left in the game, I think we kick the FG. But the clock and field position were huge advantages with the amount of time remaining.

I'm sure Groulx is going to be a very good receiver at Wake, but he struggled. I don't know enough about the differences between our slot and outside receiver positions, but it's exceedingly obvious that our best lineup would be Roberson, Morin, Greene. The production from Perry/Groulx has not been good enough, and we're going to need it against teams like UNC.

One thing that is very impressive is that in spite of our traditional program of player development over several years we have a lot of freshmen and sophomores playing meaningful productive minutes. It's a big positive for the future. Credit the staff for improving the recruiting of young talent that can play early in their careers.

One thing that is very impressive is that in spite of our traditional program of player development over several years we have a lot of freshmen and sophomores playing meaningful productive minutes. It's a big positive for the future. Credit the staff for improving the recruiting of young talent that can play early in their careers.
Deserves repeating

An even more balanced approach than Roanoke Times with reasonable recognition of the WF side of the ball.
Boogie must have his chest out today like the Hulk of yesteryear—bragging rights in the Commonwealth for Anderson and more.
https://richmond.com/sports/college...cle_eda14f9f-164f-5337-a2af-431952d72768.html

I read the Roanoke times article. I realized that the writer is spinning the story to appeal to VT fans, but he flat out got one thing wrong. He said that holding penalties kept the VT offense from getting into a rhythm all game long. That's not how I recalled it, so I looked at the play by play. VT's first offensive holding penalty was NOT UNTIL 10 MINUTES LEFT IN THE GAME!

I read that report online after the game and even understanding it was written for a VT audience felt like at the end it was by the way they played Wake. I looked forward to the Richmond papers version hoping they would focus on a remarkable performance by a nova young man I woke up to find the same story in the RTD. Called the editor to complain but as they are owned by the same company as the WSJournal mentioned that the same thing had happened in Winston.

I read the Roanoke times article. I realized that the writer is spinning the story to appeal to VT fans, but he flat out got one thing wrong. He said that holding penalties kept the VT offense from getting into a rhythm all game long. That's not how I recalled it, so I looked at the play by play. VT's first offensive holding penalty was NOT UNTIL 10 MINUTES LEFT IN THE GAME!

Just lazy writing. That was their first offensive penalty from scrimmage as well. Not even a false start.

And that first hold set up the 19 yard pass on 1st and 20. Then VT got called for holding on the next play. But Carson got called for a face mask on the next play so VT got 1st and 10 anyway.

Those were the two holding calls against VT. They meant nothing to the game.

Last edited:
Most VPI fans I saw on social media today were complimentary of Wake and angry that they shot themselves in the foot. Oddly the only real spot I saw complaints about officiating was from journalists. It's doubly odd because even if you think Wake got a couple calls in the first half, VPI undoubtedly got a few calls in the first half that were dubious at best. I didn't think officiating impacted the game for either team beyond just being inconsistent across the board. There was a blatant target that went unreviewed in the second half on VPI.

Back