• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VW caught cheating on emissions data

Wait people are defending VW here?

I don't care how much environmental impact it had, I think its a pretty big fucking deal that a company designed their computer systems for the purpose of evading detection that they were violating environmental standards.

I mean, you never played the inspection game where the night before you got your car inspected you would disconnect the battery and let it sit to erase the diagnostics, then first thing the next morning go straight to the inspection place and have them plug it in and do the test before the car's computer had driven the ~15 miles necessary to run the full reboot and kick out the fail codes and put the check engine light back on? That was an every-year activity for just about everyone I knew. Fucking entitled millennials.

I mean, you never played the inspection game where the night before you got your car inspected you would disconnect the battery and let it sit to erase the diagnostics, then first thing the next morning go straight to the inspection place and have them plug it in and do the test before the car's computer had driven the ~15 miles necessary to run the full reboot and kick out the fail codes and put the check engine light back on? That was an every-year activity for just about everyone I knew. Fucking entitled millennials.

Perhaps you were the inspiration for the people over at VW.

do you also cheat on your taxes and steal money in monopoly?

You're really one of those people that comes up with the shadiest loophole shit to get around the rules rather than doing the right thing, huh?

You're really one of those people that comes up with the shadiest loophole shit to get around the rules rather than doing the right thing, huh?

Doing "the right thing"? It is a complete scam! The car manufacturers set the O2 sensors and other emissions components at detection levels higher than the state minimums, because they know the failed O2 sensor will trigger the Check Engine light, which is an automatic inspection failure. So they force you to pay them for service work for new O2 sensors (or whatever other bogus detection component that "failed") to pass inspection, when the actual emissions are legally fine but the meaningless light is on anyway. Good Lord you people are suckers. If this was a hair-braiding license you would be all over it as a government conspiracy to keep down the working man by making them pay unnecessary fees (in this case hundreds if not thousands of dollars).

ETA: Do you remember in the 80s/90s on the Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune, how whenever they described the new car being won they would list the desirable options and then say "and with California emissions!"? Those were code words for "everybody not living in California is going to get dicked by this car in about 4 years when the sensors set to California levels fail and you are forced to get them fixed even though the actual emissions are perfectly fine in your state."

Last edited:
or you could just fix the car so your light doesn't come on, regardless of inspection

Yeah, that fix is called electrical tape over the location on the dashboard. Why would I pay to fix a light that doesn't actually mean anything is wrong? But that didn't fix the damn computer, once they went to the computer plug-in as opposed to the metal dildo in the tailpipe which measured, you know, the actual emissions instead of whether or not a light was on.

hey man, it's your car. do what you will.

though I will say I think it's utterly ridiculous that mechanics are certified to do inspections because it leads to bullshit replacements of brakes, pads, rotors, filters, etc. The system is totally rigged against the consumer. So I think we agree, sort of

You have to get your car inspected at a place that does minimal auto repair, like a Jiffy Lube. There, they only hit you up on wiper blades and tail lights.

hey man, it's your car. do what you will.

though I will say I think it's utterly ridiculous that mechanics are certified to do inspections because it leads to bullshit replacements of brakes, pads, rotors, filters, etc. The system is totally rigged against the consumer. So I think we agree, sort of

which one isn't?

That's a good answer.

Back