• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake +21 @ Clemson - Deacs blow another shot at a Death Valley win

The “Wolford was bad in his first year too” argument is starting to be the new “Coach K lost a lot of games in his first year” that we see every time an ACC coach sucks. Manning wasn’t Coach K and Griffis isn’t Wolford.

The “Wolford was bad in his first year too” argument is starting to be the new “Coach K lost a lot of games in his first year” that we see every time an ACC coach sucks. Manning wasn’t Coach K and Griffis isn’t Wolford.
And Griffis doesn't have three more years to improve.

The Wolford vs Griffis comparison simply because they are similar height is just ridiculous. Phil Mickelson and I are the same height. One has earned millions in golf.

Again, I wish TOB, in particular, would stop this idiotic comparison.

I don't know if Mitch is slower than Wolford or just takes a second or two to realize he has the lane to run allowing D lines to close the gap. Mitch still looked far from good yesterday but I will say he got the ball out faster and looked more decisive. Hoping we can see continued improvement and take the next two against the hokies and Pitt.

I don't know if Mitch is slower than Wolford or just takes a second or two to realize he has the lane to run allowing D lines to close the gap. Mitch still looked far from good yesterday but I will say he got the ball out faster and looked more decisive. Hoping we can see continued improvement and take the next two against the hokies and Pitt.
Yeah, I just don’t see Mitch doing this anytime soon.

Why did I think that getting on here would change my mood this morning?? Now, I'm reliving both the Clemson, and Ga. Tech game. Argghhhh! I think Numbers is right, Mitch is meh but is the best in the room. Yet....why not at least give the 2nd best some run during a game? Maybe let Mitch watch from the sideline for a series or two, catch his breath, see what they are doing, and make the adjustments.

As bad as I feel - I know Clawson and the staff feel infinitely worse. They see these and evaluate all of these guys daily and put a shit time of work into game prep etc. So, for me, I ultimately trust the staff and hope they find a way to start winning these winnable games. Our D was amazing and now we need the O line to give our QB a bit more time. Go Deacs!

Has griffis one time this year backed out of pressure and beat defenders to the edge to pick up significant yardage?

Has griffis one time this year backed out of pressure and beat defenders to the edge to pick up significant yardage?
He's not capable and that is huge part of the problem. I can only assume Kern is even slower. At least that's what we are being led to believe.

I don’t think anyone is ready to put Clawson on the hot seat given what he has done for our football program over the past 10 years. However, he continues to be paid (and his staff) very handsomely and he has to be held accountable for this mess at QB. There are only 2 possible reasons that he continues to trot out an obviously overmatched Griffis and neither answer is good:

1. Griffis is clearly the best QB on the team and the gap is wide back to Kern. This means the staff has failed miserably to recruit the needed talent at QB. Griffis’ metrics alone are cause for concern: height, speed, arm strength. Other intangibles are only getting you so far and Griffis’ shortcomings are undeniable. Huge risk on a guy like that especially if you don’t recruit behind him.

2. Clawson is just stubborn. Also…unacceptable. His job is to win games and with an average QB we are 5-0.

I hope he figures it out…otherwise it may be difficult to win another game although I believe our defense is good enough barring injury to keep us in the remaining games.

Clawson is as stubborn as a mule.

And yes, the D may help us scratch out a win or so.... but it shouldn't have come to this with Sam's foot out the door and him aware of it.

Back