• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake +21 @ Clemson - Deacs blow another shot at a Death Valley win

He even had the bye week, with essentially one chief issue to fix. And I saw almost nothing different in our offensive game plan. Mitch played exactly, exactly, as we all knew he’d play. I actually marvel at Clawson’s hubris.
But he didn’t throw an interception or fumble it! That’s progress

what Does Griffis do as a QB that is at an average level for a starting P5 QB?
Size- nope
Speed- nope, although he probably could outrun others in a practice 40 yard dash. Game speed is no.
arm strength- nope
arm accuracy- nope
decision making- nope
scrambling ability- nope
elusiveness- nope
break tackles- nope
pocket awareness- nope
game awareness- nope
toughness- yeah, he is tough.
leadership- Yeah, he seems like a leader.

Other factors to consider- his OL sucks and that that does impact a QB in a big way but there are some good QB's out there that produce with terrible offensive lines (Spencer Rattler comes to mind). Morin, Williams, and Banks are all quality WR's that have produced in the past and would likely see playing time at plenty of other P5 schools.
I don’t think the OL is nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. If you give up a lot of sacks and QB scrambles then it looks like they got manhandled when in reality Griffis is panicking or just not seeing open receivers.

He even had the bye week, with essentially one chief issue to fix. And I saw almost nothing different in our offensive game plan. Mitch played exactly, exactly, as we all knew he’d play. I actually marvel at Clawson’s hubris.

I thought they dumbed down the offense and tried to use the RB in the passing game more.

I’ll keep repeating what I’ve said. All of these same people also said that Newman stunk in practice. He certainly didn’t stink when he got on the field.

I also think one thing mentioned above is too often an afterthought. We tend to think of our coaches as up against the world and fighting the good fight for LOWF. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to win games. At this point, some of our players are also getting paid quite handsomely. Criticism is entirely valid and this situation needs to be fixed immediately.

Btw, Cam is still going on and on about how Griffis was fine yesterday. It makes me feel like I’m insane and we’ve been watching a different team all season.

I had to unfollow him. Insufferable isn't a strong enough word... I'd take him seriously if he said "yeah it's not great here but not great options behind mitch. " But instead he wants to act like the bullshit play I've watched all season is somehow fine. Get out of here with that nonsense

I thought they dumbed down the offense and tried to use the RB in the passing game more.
To what end though. If they had done anything of real substance, it would have resulted in something other than 15/25 for 137 yards and numerous happy feet plays, which I maintain is exactly the kind of mediocrity we were anticipating.

I had to unfollow him. Insufferable isn't a strong enough word... I'd take him seriously if he said "yeah it's not great here but not great options behind mitch. " But instead he wants to act like the bullshit play I've watched all season is somehow fine. Get out of here with that nonsense
Then you probably missed him berating someone by saying that Tate Carney, the wide open receiver he didn’t see on 4th down from the 2, was not an option on that play so it wasn’t Mitch’s fault.

I don’t think anyone is ready to put Clawson on the hot seat given what he has done for our football program over the past 10 years. However, he continues to be paid (and his staff) very handsomely and he has to be held accountable for this mess at QB. There are only 2 possible reasons that he continues to trot out an obviously overmatched Griffis and neither answer is good:

1. Griffis is clearly the best QB on the team and the gap is wide back to Kern. This means the staff has failed miserably to recruit the needed talent at QB. Griffis’ metrics alone are cause for concern: height, speed, arm strength. Other intangibles are only getting you so far and Griffis’ shortcomings are undeniable. Huge risk on a guy like that especially if you don’t recruit behind him.

2. Clawson is just stubborn. Also…unacceptable. His job is to win games and with an average QB we are 5-0.

I hope he figures it out…otherwise it may be difficult to win another game although I believe our defense is good enough barring injury to keep us in the remaining games.
It's actually worse than that.

Jamie Newman was in the 2016 recruiting class. The only QB capable of starting at Wake (or anywhere?) since 2016 have been Sam Hartman in the 2018 recruiting class and Mitch Griffis in the 2020 class. Mitch Griffis the 3rd best QB in the last 8 recruiting classes. Clawson has only had 10 recruiting classes.

Here are the other QBs Clawson has recruited:
2017 - Tayvon Bowers
2019 - Michael Kern
2021 - Billy Edwards
2021 - Martino Sarucci
2022 - Brett Griffis
2023 - Charlie Gilliam
2024 - Jeremy Hecklinski

To what end though. If they had done anything of real substance, it would have resulted in something other than 15/25 for 137 yards and numerous happy feet plays, which I maintain is exactly the kind of mediocrity we were anticipating.
I think the goal was to eliminate turnovers and Clawson seemed pleased with that in the post-game.

Then you probably missed him berating someone by saying that Tate Carney, the wide open receiver he didn’t see on 4th down from the 2, was not an option on that play so it wasn’t Mitch’s fault.

For someone who presumably makes money off the goodwill of a very small fanbase, you'd think he'd be less of a prick. Maybe slightly less condescending. Or just keep being a dick

For someone who presumably makes money off the goodwill of a very small fanbase, you'd think he'd be less of a prick. Maybe slightly less condescending. Or just keep being a dick

Yeah, I genuinely don’t get it. I mean more power to him that he’s able to get away with it, but I just don’t get it. That dude single-handedly limits my 247 engagement despite the good articles on there.

If the QB is not resolved and/or Clawson digs in deeper with Griffis a bigger concern may be some very good offensive players saying.to hell with it and move on. Five years ago this wasn't a big deal. Now it is.
So this. It used to be you would be concerned about ”losing the team” figuratively speaking when they were checked out and not emotionally invested. Unfortunately if Claw insists on Mitch when clear to whole world he isn’t consistent able to move the offensive without giving another qb a chance and other positions have to earn their position every week then You could see a lot of players start exploring where their next best option is going to be in ‘24. Losing a team now has much more meaningful long term impacts than in the past and this lack of competition at qb and lack of hope with Mitch could quickly spiral.

This is reminiscent of rchill during the Manning years.

Oh, you should see the email I received from one of the two cheerleading twins. You can't have a debate with them about the topic. It's become really weird the level of protection they are giving Magic Mitch. My only guess is they are scared to death of losing what little access they have. But they add ZERO value to the conversation.

No idea how Clawson feels better about football team after that loss compared to last Ws. Feels like we are entering into Grobe blindness or stubborness or both as your once regularly prolific O for past 6-8 years is now one of the worse in ACC and would be worse if not for how bad the teams we have played are. 260 yards offense and most points due to bad Clemson turnover and a very soft D at end to avoid giving up big play. We only get 6 points and probably less than 200 yards O if not for multiple score lead by Clemson With a few mins to go. just Because you didnt ball over does not make for a good offense.

just Because you didnt ball over does not make for a good offense.
Right. Yesterday's offense was no more impressive just because it was clear of fumbles or INT's. It was in fact all the more frustrating because no TO's should have produced more scoring opportunities & scores.

Back