• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake +21 @ Clemson - Deacs blow another shot at a Death Valley win

I don’t think the OL is nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. If you give up a lot of sacks and QB scrambles then it looks like they got manhandled when in reality Griffis is panicking or just not seeing open receivers.
Yeah I thought this had been disproven already with a tweet that I appreciate posted showing our o line is actually pretty decent giving Mitch on average slightly over 3 seconds before contact

Right. Yesterday's offense was no more impressive just because it was clear of fumbles or INT's. It was in fact all the more frustrating because no TO's should have produced more scoring opportunities & scores.

The fact we appear to be willing to change our offensive gameplans simply because we don't have a serviceable QB who can run the entire offense is very worrisome. Sure, year one or two of a new coach, I totally get it because they typically inherit a dumpster fire. But in year 10?

Meh - Last year's loss to Clemson and the robbery back in 2004 was 100x worse. Yesterday's game wasn't even close to honorable mention of kick to the nuts losses.

And even if Wake won yesterday as a 20pt dog most (including a vocal majority on this board) would have discounted and downplayed it because "Clemson sucks this year" or something along these lines.

I've never been more pissed about a team getting bullshit calls than that 04 game.

I had to unfollow him. Insufferable isn't a strong enough word... I'd take him seriously if he said "yeah it's not great here but not great options behind mitch. " But instead he wants to act like the bullshit play I've watched all season is somehow fine. Get out of here with that nonsense

Cam suffers from thinking he is somehow the smartest person in the room when it comes to watching football.

Meh - Last year's loss to Clemson and the robbery back in 2004 was 100x worse. Yesterday's game wasn't even close to honorable mention of kick to the nuts losses.

And even if Wake won yesterday as a 20pt dog most (including a vocal majority on this board) would have discounted and downplayed it because "Clemson sucks this year" or something along these lines.

I mean this might be the worst Clemson team in a decade. I'm happy we hung in there with our junior high offense. But we looked awful and they looked only slightly less awful. If I were a Clemson fan I'd wonder why all the stud recruits stink.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying I love Clawson and he deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done for our football program, but he made a bad bet with the QB situation this year. He was wrong about Mitch and there’s an outside chance that he’s wrong about Kern. I’m sure Kern is statistically worse than Griffis in Clawson’s eyes, but I’m not sure that matters anymore. At least show your team you are willing to break protocol and switch things up. I mean, how much worse can it be, really? And if it’s that much worse playing Kern over Mitch, how in the world are they both our only two QBs that have reps? Very disappointing in year 10.

Let me preface this by saying I love Clawson and he deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done for our football program, but he made a bad bet with the QB situation this year. He was wrong about Mitch and there’s an outside chance that he’s wrong about Kern. I’m sure Kern is statistically worse than Griffis in Clawson’s eyes, but I’m not sure that matters anymore. At least show your team you are willing to break protocol and switch things up. I mean, how much worse can it be, really? And if it’s that much worse playing Kern over Mitch, how in the world are they both our only two QBs that have reps? Very disappointing in year 10.

This exactly.
If this is the best we've got at QB. Then the coaches have been asleep at the wheel..either they couldn't get any better or they are poor talent evaluators. But it's a bad look to be stuck like this with a shockingly good D. Great skill players. An acceptable O line. And really bad QB play. Someone messed up

Regardless of who our QB is, I do think if we play like we did yesterday we can muster up 6 wins. D was great and we didn’t turn it over. Ran the ball good enough (at times) against a stout D/Dline

Against lesser competition we could wear some teams down with that formula. I’m thinking 2016 Military bowl type of season.

Last edited:
Regardless of who our QB is, I do think if we play like we did yesterday we can muster up 6 wins. D was great and we didn’t turn it over. Ran the ball good enough (at times) against a stout D/Dline

Against lesser competition we could wear some teams down with that formula. I’m thinking 2016 Military bowl type of season.
I hope so, but the margin for error is very small. D can’t have an off day and we can’t have turnovers.

Pointer showed good speed for a DL, IMO.
I am real hgh on Pointer. Played to win and played like a D-1 stud.

Now if Crespi is in beside him, we're in trouble. That needs to stop now.

And Pointer played his ass off trying to chase down Klubnik on those crucial scrambles, unsuccessfully. But major, major effort props.

Hell, on the 4 missed tackles whiff run by mustache man, Pointer was the one who chased him down 20 yards downfield.

Keep head up Deacs - some winnable games ahead!

I hope so, but the margin for error is very small. D can’t have an off day and we can’t have turnovers.
Yeah I’m hopeful that the defense is here to stay under Lambert.
While we thought the focus of the bye week was to fix the offense, it seems the defense made the most improvement. Didn’t see any missed assignments yesterday

We played better at the end of the game when we were in that hurry up offense. Can we stay in that hurry up for the entire game?

We played better at the end of the game when we were in that hurry up offense. Can we stay in that hurry up for the entire game?
The opposing defense is also playing softer in that case.

I would also rather melt the clock and grind em down. Let the defense rest. Hurry up to keep the same line ups out there then wait for :10 on the play clock to snap it

Yeah I’m hopeful that the defense is here to stay under Lambert.
While we thought the focus of the bye week was to fix the offense, it seems the defense made the most improvement. Didn’t see any missed assignments yesterday
Totally agree on this. And even more impressive (tho not a good long term strategy) he’s more or less doing it with not a lot of NFL talent out there. They’re just well coached, generally tackle well and are disruptive enough upfront to be salty

Not to nit pick. But we had one turnover- a fumble from Grimes. Just nothing like the half dozen we've been giving up the last few games

Back