• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake +21 @ Clemson - Deacs blow another shot at a Death Valley win

I've wondered this for years.
When i was in school our coach had this system whereby the tailback would get any ball snapped on 1 and the fullback anything on 2 and you could tell every team was aware and had scouted it and he just let it happen. 🤦‍♂️

I would imagine in that environment we are only doing it to prevent false starts

My 3 cents:

1. As usual, when a team under performs, the quarterback is always the problem. I agree that our level of talent has fallen off at the QB position. However, I have to trust the coaches to go thru 40-50 practices and determine who the best QB is on the current roster.

2. I do disagree with Clawson's approach to go totally conservative with the offensive play calling to offset the current poor performance of the offense. There is nothing more boring than the slow-mesh when it does not work.

3. I feel there are two major offensive mistakes being made in Coach R's play calling. First, the best athlete on offense is Keyshawn Williams. His ability in the slot is being wasted. In 3 years, I can recall maybe once seeing his number being called on a reverse or counter play. Secondly, why does the slow-mesh or all hand offs have to be made between the tackles?
The one time on Saturday when Claiborne took a hand off to the outside he scored our only touchdown.

Look, point, snap.

I’m sure it serves a purpose but if I wonder if that purpose outweighs tipping the snap.
I assume it was due to expected crowd noise but no one else has to do that. So add “no loud voice” to Griffis’ flaws.

I assume it was due to expected crowd noise but no one else has to do that. So add “no loud voice” to Griffis’ flaws.
I think y’all are making too much of this one. Watch any NFL road team. The guard is looking back for when the QB lifts his leg. Guard then taps the center to snap. It’s not some state secret…

My 3 cents:

1. As usual, when a team under performs, the quarterback is always the problem. I agree that our level of talent has fallen off at the QB position. However, I have to trust the coaches to go thru 40-50 practices and determine who the best QB is on the current roster.

2. I do disagree with Clawson's approach to go totally conservative with the offensive play calling to offset the current poor performance of the offense. There is nothing more boring than the slow-mesh when it does not work.

3. I feel there are two major offensive mistakes being made in Coach R's play calling. First, the best athlete on offense is Keyshawn Williams. His ability in the slot is being wasted. In 3 years, I can recall maybe once seeing his number being called on a reverse or counter play. Secondly, why does the slow-mesh or all hand offs have to be made between the tackles?
The one time on Saturday when Claiborne took a hand off to the outside he scored our only touchdown.
Or more generally why is Ke’Shawn in witness protection? Every time he pops up that dude is making plays and somehow he gets like 0.7 touches/game

I think y’all are making too much of this one. Watch any NFL road team. The guard is looking back for when the QB lifts his leg. Guard then taps the center to snap. It’s not some state secret…
I hear you but those OLines can block the people in front of them. Ours is getting too much flack but is still mediocre. Against a Clemson D it was too obvious. They didn’t need any additional advantage.

My 3 cents:

#3 are two great points. Agree with you completely.

Was Taylor Morin targeted more than once on Saturday? I remember one deep shot early that Griffis overthrew. That’s it.

Hecklinski is also on the shorter side and no guarantee.

I'm not going to read through this entire thread, so I do assume it was already discussed, but Clawson lamenting the fact we never have a good offense and defense at the same time is relatable, but also frustrating since he's, you know, the head coach.
....and had plenty of time (a decade) to correct it.

I wouldn't praise the rise of the D just because of Clemson. Teams that are more mature with a sophisticated O will likely move and score on us into the 30s.

Back