• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake (+7) vs Miss St. in Music City Bowl

"The school had gained its nickname in 1922 when a gentleman named Hank Garrity, Sr. took over coaching the college's athletic teams and revived the Deacon athletic program, which had fallen on hard times. As the Deacons started recording wins on a regular basis, the existing nicknames of "Baptists" and "Old Gold and Black" did not seem to capture the new spirit of Wake Forest athletics. When the Deacons pulled a particularly satisfying win off over rival Duke, sports editor Mayon Parker of Ahoskie searched for a new phrase to describe the "devilish" spirit that marked the athletic teams. He found that description in "Demon Deacon."

Wake Forest news director Henry Belk picked up Parker's new name for the Deacons and began using it in the school's news releases. Soon the name Demon Deacon had become a familiar term with all sports fans.

Nevertheless, that's all it remained – Just a name. Then came Baldwin leading the Deacons on the field against North Carolina. He was dressed in top hat, tails, and umbrella, riding the Carolina ram, and while his fraternity brothers roared with laughter at the sight of him, no one realized that the Deacons would never play again without their Demon Deacon. -- A joke was to become an institution."

longer version here
OK, that makes sense and also makes for an interesting mental image of the top hat wearing ram rider. I suppose it was difficult to strike fear into the heart of the opponent if you were the Fightin' Baptists.

We, however, scoff at the "Possessed" and will be bringing silver cowbells. Hopefully, wooden stakes won't be needed. So messy.

I've met zero Mississippi State fans in my life. I've now "met" two on the boards and they're both just like I would imagine someone from Mississippi being: uneducated, relatively unintelligent, and arrogant as hell.

Not particularly looking forward to mingling with their fans in Nashville to be honest.

Wow! No sense in acting like that just because two people piss you off. I take offense to that because most people down here are not uneducated, relatively unintelligent, or arrogant as hell (except Ole Piss fans).

Speaking of Ole Miss, any chance Jose could make a guest appearance on behalf of WFU...

To get away from the pissing match for a bit, I think you will be suprised that most state fans you will meet in nashville will be cool. Our last two bowl games, UCF and Meeshagen fans were complete toolbags so Im holding out hope for yall. Ready to have some fun in nashville. And we cover...

Wait a minute......Wake Forest lost to Vandy by 34 points? At home?

BWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I'll give you that MSU is probably bigger and stronger, but I really doubt they are faster (especially our offensive skill players as a whole v. your D).

The game will be determined by how well MSU controls the ground game. If Wake can stymy the run, Wake should win. The concern for Wake is that while we have a decent D, we don't have a lot of depth. I can see this game being much like the Notre Dame game (with a win by either team likely).

My prediction is the Wake jumps out to an early lead and Miss St gets back in it by wearing us down on the ground. The game will be determined by how fast a start the deacs have and how well the Wake offense avoids stagnation in the second half to keep our D off the field.

I think it will follow the pattern of almost every one of Wake's games this year and will be close - the question will be if we have a large enough lead and can do enough to stop a ground oriented comeback.

Just to add a bit to the post quoted above (which I believe to be dead on), I think the turnover margin will be the key metric (no great revelation) - basically with 2+ turnovers MSU loses the game, but if they protect the ball they likely win by 7-10 pts.

Because we won the first half of all but, I think, four of our games (including the Vandy game, which, in my opinion, was an annomally) and won the first quarter in all but three. It is what we do.

Got a chance to look at your season & it looks like we match up pretty well. I fear your passing game and you should feel the same about our run game. Think this game will come down to the 4th quarter where State will have an advantage.

Here is what stood out ... Seems y'all have a tendency to jump out to a quick lead and try to hold on. Lost a 15 pt lead to 'Cuse; had a 14 pt lead & held on to win over NC State by 8; 15 pt lead over BC to win by 8; had a 10 pt lead over Tech but lost by 21, led Duke by 17 & won by 1; Led NDame 17-0 at half & lost by 7; led Clemson by 14 & lost by a FG.

Take a look at scoring by both teams. Wake scored more than it gave up in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters but gave up 59 more points in the 4th & OT. (Don't blame the Vandy game; they scored 34 of 41 pts in the first 3 qtrs) But also look what State has done in the 1st quarter ... scored 103 and gave up 51 (+52)

While both teams have 6-6 records, State has 'outscored' teams by 67 while y'all have been outscored by 12.

Score by Quarters 1sT 2ND 3RD 4TH OT TOTAL
Wake Forest 74 101 95 51 0 321
Opponents 52 92 79 103 7 333
Difference +22 +9 +16 <52> <7> <12>

MSU 103 62 58 77 6 306
Opponents 51 74 42 72 0 239
Difference +52 <12> +16 +5 +6 67

Got a chance to look at your season & it looks like we match up pretty well. I fear your passing game and you should feel the same about our run game. Think this game will come down to the 4th quarter where State will have an advantage.

Here is what stood out ... Seems y'all have a tendency to jump out to a quick lead and try to hold on. Lost a 15 pt lead to 'Cuse; had a 14 pt lead & held on to win over NC State by 8; 15 pt lead over BC to win by 8; had a 10 pt lead over Tech but lost by 21, led Duke by 17 & won by 1; Led NDame 17-0 at half & lost by 7; led Clemson by 14 & lost by a FG.

Take a look at scoring by both teams. Wake scored more than it gave up in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters but gave up 59 more points in the 4th & OT. (Don't blame the Vandy game; they scored 34 of 41 pts in the first 3 qtrs) But also look what State has done in the 1st quarter ... scored 103 and gave up 51 (+52)

While both teams have 6-6 records, State has 'outscored' teams by 67 while y'all have been outscored by 12.

Score by Quarters 1sT 2ND 3RD 4TH OT TOTAL
Wake Forest 74 101 95 51 0 321
Opponents 52 92 79 103 7 333
Difference +22 +9 +16 <52> <7> <12>

MSU 103 62 58 77 6 306
Opponents 51 74 42 72 0 239
Difference +52 <12> +16 +5 +6 67

Pretty good stuff there. It's true that our offense is ahead of our defense, although it's more of a consistency thing because our defense has a lot of speed and has looked very good against quality squads this year, but has disappeared against others. You'll probably run it well against us, but throwing the ball might get us a couple turnovers, especially if you're forced to throw.

Sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story - in this case they pretty much do. We typically come out of the gate firing with a well-planned first possession, try to build a lead, and then it's pretty clear we back off, run the clock, limit possessions, and protect the fact that we're not all that deep.

Many Wake fans go back and forth about the whole "taking the foot off the accelerator" tendencies of our coaching staff. On the one hand, it's frustrating to have elite talent at multiple wide receiver spots and obviously the QB spot and not just let them tear it up every set of downs. On the other hand we can't afford turnovers, we need to keep our defense rested, and even Tanner can't dominate without some running success. But we have talent at RB, just a little light on blocking.

If I had to guess at this game, I think our guys are incredibly fired up to be back in a bowl game after the debacle of last year, I think the coaches will have a great game plan, and while I think you guys have a solid squad you don't have any real superstars even if you do have depth. I think we take a lead early, I think you wear us down late, but ultimately I don't think you have enough offense to beat us - you're going to need to score more than 28 to win, and I don't think it'll happen.

But who knows. A turnover here, kick return there... I could see it going either way.

If I had to guess at this game, I think our guys are incredibly fired up to be back in a bowl game after the debacle of last year, I think the coaches will have a great game plan, and while I think you guys have a solid squad you don't have any real superstars even if you do have depth. I think we take a lead early, I think you wear us down late, but ultimately I don't think you have enough offense to beat us - you're going to need to score more than 28 to win, and I don't think it'll happen.

But who knows. A turnover here, kick return there... I could see it going either way.

State has never played Wake but think they did face an Air Force team in Liberty Bowl in '91 with Grobe as an assistant. That ’91 year was a 'magical' one for bulldog fans. Jackie Sherrill had just been hired, kicked defending SWC champion in his first game, ended the regular season at 7-4 and accepted a bid to play AFA in the Liberty which would be their ‘first’ bowl game in over ten years.

MSU players and fans were ‘ecstatic.’ State had only won a hand full of games over that ten year period and didn’t come close to a winning conference season. Players and fans alike were convinced that the SEC team would dominate especially with the size of their lines. Don’t know ‘how’ they prepared for the game but heard rumors of players on Beale St way early on game day. Needless to say, we got our ass handed to us by over 20 points and it was never even close.

Don’t know if was the way Jackie prepped his teams or not, but do know that it took him several years to ‘win’ a bowl game at State. Dan Mullen is a different story. With his experience at Florida, he did a great job prepping for last year’s Gator. Michigan never had a chance.

Think both teams, coaches and fans are pumped for this bowl. Am looking forward to a great game.

Sherrill was 6-2 in bowls @ Pitt and TAMU

I've met zero Mississippi State fans in my life. I've now "met" two on the boards and they're both just like I would imagine someone from Mississippi being: uneducated, relatively unintelligent, and arrogant as hell.

Not particularly looking forward to mingling with their fans in Nashville to be honest.

Nah, most State fans are great. I live in the great state of Obesity, and most of my friends are State fans. Easy going for the most part, salt of the earth type people. I certainly cheer for State over Ole Miss as my adopted homestate team.

My guess is that you will meet a lot of great fans, and a few idiots.

Back