• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Ad - Good Wears Black

oldmandeac

Reaction score
The latest Wake advertisement was in heavy rotation during the ESPN3 broadcast of the football game last night. While I typically do not like commercials with rapid fire photos, I know I did not like the main tag line before the You Will, We Will, Wake Will slogan.

GOOD WEARS BLACK

What is that suppose to mean? Wake Forest only produces good but not great graduates? Do we not wear Black and Gold?

Also, what percentage of the Wake student body is comprised of Muslim females? Given the head gear in one photo that popped up, there are two females wearing blue headdress attire. My interpretation was they were followers of Islam. What is the university trying to convey by including that photo in a 30 second commercial spot?

The latest Wake advertisement was in heavy rotation during the ESPN3 broadcast of the football game last night. While I typically do not like commercials with rapid fire photos, I know I did not like the main tag line before the You Will, We Will, Wake Will slogan.

GOOD WEARS BLACK

What is that suppose to mean? Wake Forest only produces good but not great graduates? Do we not wear Black and Gold?

Also, what percentage of the Wake student body is comprised of Muslim females? Given the head gear in one photo that popped up, there are two females wearing blue headdress attire. My interpretation was they were followers of Islam. What is the university trying to convey by including that photo in a 30 second commercial spot?

lol, appropriate username is appropriate.

I think it's clearly saying black = good, and since Isis wears black (AND HAS A BLACK FLAG !), and we have MUZLIMS in our commercial, that WFU is clearly a money front for ISIS.

I take the slogan to be a poor attempt at making "Good Guys Wear Black" gender-neutral. Not that it is a good slogan for a fundraising campaign commercial.

I take the slogan to be a poor attempt at making "Good Guys Wear Black" gender-neutral. Not that it is a good slogan for a fundraising campaign commercial.

Yeah I saw it as a play on typically the bad guys wear the black, plus we're good at stuff. Not spectacular but I liked the music/cuts/shots at least.

1. I'm not sure if this a parody account or not

2. This commercial has been around for at least a year. At this point, meh

I think it's clearly saying black = good, and since Isis wears black (AND HAS A BLACK FLAG !), and we have MUZLIMS in our commercial, that WFU is clearly a money front for ISIS.

Don't forget about the radical Islamic imam who is taking over the religious scene on campus

1. I'm not sure if this a parody account or not

2. This commercial has been around for at least a year. At this point, meh

I think last night may have been the first time some have seen it? Was it showing during bball season?

Hey George,

Thanks for the email. It's always great to hear from a Class of 1965 alum, as you noted five or six times in your email and signature.

We like to think we worked pretty hard on the Wake Will advertisement, so it's nice to see such a detailed analysis of our work. I'd like to quickly point out that we didn't think about a lot of the important linguistic and theological connections you make. We'll try a lot harder on the next spot to have a longer, less vague slogan that could confuse our audience. Just spitballing here, what do you think of: WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY GRADUATES ARE DOING A LOT OF KIND THINGS TO IMPROVE THE PLANET AND LIVES OF PEOPLE ON IT AND SOMETIMES THEY WEAR A DARK COLOR THAT IS ONE HALF OF THE ACCEPTED SCHOOL COLORS?

It's got a certain ring to it, don't you think? Much less vague. Maybe if we add more drums and less flashing photos.

Typically, our audience doesn't give much that much thought to a 30 second TV spot. I can't think of a time that we've received analysis that included so many charts and graphs. We really appreciate it. You're kind of a folk hero in the office actually. Do you have a signed portrait or something you could send us?

Love,
Wake Forest University Communications & External Relations

###

Last edited:
good eye oldman... it flashes for less than half a second but it is definitely a hidden message, although not the one you might think... i'm afraid worse actually

iznlh2.jpg

paused you can clearly see what is undoubtedly a sign of the illuminati... a secret new world order of men behind the scenes controlling the world. oh, and guess where their strength comes from? BLACK magic. Good wears Black. Coincidence? I think not.

symbol411.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

kanye_west_tom_cruise_illuminati_sign.jpg

enhanced-buzz-25664-1362264450-3.jpg

Demonicsigncollection-1.jpg

Muslims? Much worse.

I'm just really disappointed he waited until the end of work hours on a Friday to start the thread, think it would have had so much more potential in the middle of the day.

How are the new imam's efforts to recruit Wake kids into ISIS going?

Wake Football ran a slogan for many years in the 90s titled Good Guys Wear Black. It didnt bother me then and it doesn't bother me now.

GOOD WEARS BLACK

Lolz

I don'the remember the 90'same commercial, but makes a little more sense. I have seen other Wake promos but didn't recognize the one from the other day. PhD each hit on the main point of the question. .. it is a fund raising commercial geared to raise funds from old farts like me. I didn'the think it was effective at all.

Plus, I am somewhat surprised that no one picked up on the underlying question about the Muslim girls. Wake use to be associated with the Southern Baptist Convention, a tie that was severed sometime in the 80's or early 90's (can't recall). Again, a lot of Wake grads who would be donors were around then. And, a lot of them conservatives and Christian. Say what you want, when you are trying to raise money from such a group, it isn't necessarily a wise idea to convey such a drastic change in the student body makeup. Donors give for many reasons but often there is a fond remembrance of their days at Wake and the desire to perpetuate the experience for others. The message sent in the commercial is far off that path.

Back