• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake at Rice, Friday, 9/6

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
Nice win versus Utah State. Some questions answered, many not. This is a must-win game for the Deacs of they plan to build off of last year and get some respect, but it's not as easy as it looks.

Rice looks better than expected. I personally think our offense will be able to solve the Rice defense which added multiple transfers this season. 22890 has some good and earnestly accurate commentary from another thread, so Im starting off with that.

More food for thought on Rice. Their offensive line did a really good job of setting up the run, which Rice attempted frequently. They averaged six yards a run and had 181 yards on the ground - 54 came on one run for their only touchdown.

Nine total offensive possessions with two three and outs plus another possession where they got the ball inside the Army 20 after Army failed to convert a fourth and 1 (Rice missed the field goal). Possessions went: punt, missed field goal (26 yards), punt, touchdown (4 plays, 75 yards - aforementioned 54 yard run), missed field goal (44 yards), punt, punt, punt, turnover on downs.

The majority of their runs went straight up the middle from a base formation. The QB spent a lot of time under center with a back behind him and tight ends brought in for extra protection. I felt like they telegraphed their runs pretty frequently with tight sets and they did not use play actions very frequently. When the QB, Green, was forced out of the pocket by the defense he was both frantic and inaccurate. For the game he went 7-14 for 62 yards good enough for a 4.9 QBR. Over half of his passing yards came on about an 8 yard completed pass turned into a 35 yard gain with YAC. Their QB looked absolutely awful overall.

Their kicking game sucked, neither missed field goal was particularly close but I was impressed by their punter who averaged 44 yards a punt and did a good job making sure Army wasn't going to return anything.

All-in-all I thought Rice looked similar to how they looked last year with a slightly better defense. I see the game going roughly how it did a year ago where Wake jumps on them early and Rice doesn't have any answers for the passing game. This will be a big game for the front seven as any pressure we dial up is going to be problematic for their young QB. If we can shut down the run early and force them into a heavier pass game the Owls are in serious trouble.

Early pick is 41-13 Wake.

Wake being a 19.5 point favorite on the road should be a celebration...but if our program is where we believe it is (it is), this should be a 28 point game. Clawson will say all the right things, because he is really good at his job, but reality is Wake has recruited and developed to a point that Wake should:
1) Smash Rice
2) Get true frosh 1 of their 4 games
3) Get ready to focus and eviscerate UNC, Week 3

I'm worried that Dorian will cancel my flight. Waited 9 months for this trip

Everyone agrees a dogfight we win 31-29 kind of game and the spread is ridiculous high.

With our weak oline and dline we won’t beat any d-1 team that bad.

No one agrees with you. Wake smashes Rice and covers the spread.

Everyone agrees that deaconbd's shtick is disturbing.

Saw on twitter that this is the biggest favorite Wake has been on the road since 1997.

Got my two tickets, 50 yard line and perfect height, on stubhub for less than $30 total including all fees and taxes. My dad and I are both driving in from opposite directions.

Let's go!

Got my two tickets, 50 yard line and perfect height, on stubhub for less than $30 total including all fees and taxes. My dad and I are both driving in from opposite directions.

Let's go!

everyone agrees you will be seeing a great game as they played us close for a while last year and this year both our oline and dline are much worse and their entire team is much better so we all know that we will be lucky to win in a 31-20 type game

bunch of guys here are acting like you can be improved overall when your oline and dline and running backs are much worse but they are just trying to pull your leg ... you are making a great decision and will see a great game ... don't let them try to fool you into not going ... it will be competitive and we will be lucky to win ...

Another worried about Dorian messing with a Raleigh flight at dawn on Thursday. Was hoping to catch Verlander pitching but he had a good outing yesterday(lol) and I think the local boy for us will start on Friday. Now just hoping we get there to go to the game.

Saw on twitter that this is the biggest favorite Wake has been on the road since 1997.

Seems very unlikely. We were awful that year, like so many other years. I guess it's possible we were favored by that much in a road game against then-putrid Rutgers (which I attended in person, in one of the lowlights of my WF football-watching career), but even there we struggled to win by two TDs.

Seems very unlikely. We were awful that year, like so many other years. I guess it's possible we were favored by that much in a road game against then-putrid Rutgers (which I attended in person, in one of the lowlights of my WF football-watching career), but even there we struggled to win by two TDs.

We were competitive in 1997 and should have been a bowl team. Finished 5-6 and should have beaten ECU and UVA.

We were probably favored by about two TDs. There are very few times we've been favored by double digits on the road.

Yeah I don’t know where to even find that information but it’s got to be the Rutgers game. They went 0-11 and appear to have been terrible.

Back