• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake at Rice, Friday, 9/6

Rice had 62 yards passing? Do they run the triple option?

Friday games are ass. Although thanks to ESPN's money grab with ACCN, it's not like I'll be able to watch the game anyway.

Yeah I don’t know where to even find that information but it’s got to be the Rutgers game. They went 0-11 and appear to have been terrible.

November 8th, 1997... Wake was favored by 20 over Rutgers.

Other double digit road favorite games since then:
8/28/08 - Wake Forest -11.5 Baylor (41-13)
10/29/05 - Wake Forest -12.5 Duke (44-6)
9/11/04 - Wake Forest -17 ECU (31-17)

That's it... That's the entire list.

I ran a search for the last 30 road games where Wake Forest was a favorite... Search only returned 23 games since 1997 season (not sure how far the database goes back). In those 23 games, Wake is 19-4 straight up and 10-13 ATS. The 4 losses were @NCSU in 2008 (17-21 as a 3.5pt fav), @UNC in 2003 (34-42 as a 9pt fav), @Northern Illinois in 2002 (41-42 as a 2pt fav), @Duke in 1999 (35-48 as 4pt fav).

https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/database

Wake favored by 19 per Sagarin. Deacs come in at 56th and Rice is ranked....148th, between Montana State and Northern Arizona. Rice would be an underdog to Elon on the road.

Rice had 62 yards passing? Do they run the triple option?

I'm working on an article about Rice's offense for BSD that I hope to have up at some point today. They ran an extremely conservative run-oriented offense and their freshman QB was very bad. Along with Army's option offense, their total plays were limited to 44 on offense.

everyone agrees you will be seeing a great game as they played us close for a while last year and this year both our oline and dline are much worse and their entire team is much better so we all know that we will be lucky to win in a 31-20 type game

bunch of guys here are acting like you can be improved overall when your oline and dline and running backs are much worse but they are just trying to pull your leg ... you are making a great decision and will see a great game ... don't let them try to fool you into not going ... it will be competitive and we will be lucky to win ...

This guy sucks.

Wake favored by 19 per Sagarin. Deacs come in at 56th and Rice is ranked....148th, between Montana State and Northern Arizona. Rice would be an underdog to Elon on the road.

Just curious. What is Utah St. ranked after our game? Thanks

Ranked ahead of Wake: UNC at #51, South Carolina at #43, and NC State at #27. I know I'm biased, but that seems very wrong. The good news is we'll have plenty of opportunity to prove it.

There is limited (at best) reliability in any rating system at this point because: a) there is only 1 week of results from this season; b) as a result of factor a, last season's results still play a major role in the evaluation process, and relying on last year's results is flawed because each team can change substantially from one season to the next.

WF play UNC next week; so, at that point, we will know which team is better.

Yeah I don't know what Sagarin uses for preseason input. Early in the year it's useful for ranges I think. Tossup game against UNC...Rice is trash, etc.

There is limited (at best) reliability in any rating system at this point because: a) there is only 1 week of results from this season; b) as a result of factor a, last season's results still play a major role in the evaluation process, and relying on last year's results is flawed because each team can change substantially from one season to the next.

WF play UNC next week; so, at that point, we will know which team is better.

Appreciate this clarity well described!
Also, its college ball which is the very reason many people prefer it over the pros.
Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, etc.

Did Army take a big step down from last year? If not, Rice going toe to toe with them leads me to believe that our game won't be over after our first two possessions.

Despite some bickering in the offseason (primarily Feinstein and Bill Connelly), Army is almost certainly not as "good" as last year. Although this too is a debatable point because Army wasn't particularly "good" last year either, they just play a lot of bad teams (finished 84th of 129 in SP+).

Neither team looked good to me. Rice's offense is god awful and their QB is young, inexperienced, but worst of all not very talented. Rice's defensive front was stout at times and stopped the run for the most part, but did give up two LOOOONG drives - both yardage wise and time-wise. Rice legitimately runs one of the most boring and vanilla offenses I can recall from the last few years. Let's just say they haven't let the evolution of college football to a spread offense change what their offensive identity is.

Rice is probably a little better this year than last, but they're still a bottom 20 team overall. Wake should not have any problem stopping Rice's offense regardless of what we saw last week against Utah State and if they do struggle then we could be in for a long year on that front.

Back