• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2015

State having hit fest vs our relief pitchers....8-1 n the 7th....our post season flame is weaker than Indiana Jones torch in the Tomb of Lost Souls. This should not have happened at home vs very mediocre State team this year.

State has good starting pitching. Wake should have scheduled a cupcake this week to get loose after exams. State did. Pirro with a decent outing but our pen is the pits. Throwing position players out there now. McCarren has been terribly disappointing this year. Maybe a better result tomorrow.

I was out there tonight. It was a beautiful night for baseball, good crowd, poor result.

So State hands us our most lopsided and embarrassing defeat of the year....and at home.

In other ACC action tonight, FSU beat Louisville, GT beat Pitt, & UVa beat Duke. UNC-ND got rained out and will play a DH tomorrow. The current standings are as follows:

1. Louisville 21-4
2. Miami 19-8
3. FSU 17-8
4. UNC 13-10
5. Clemson 13-13
5. Notre Dame 12-12
5. NC State 12-12
8. Georgia Tech 12-13
9. Virginia Tech 12-14
10. Virginia 11-14
10. Wake Forest 11-14

12. Boston College 9-17
13. Duke 7-17
14. Pitt 6-19

After tonight's ass-kicking, things look bleak. It will take 2 great pitching performances by Will Craig (tomorrow) and Connor Johnstone (Monday) for us to have any chance of winning the series against the Wolfpack. Also, our bats have to start producing (it's supposed to be the strength of our team), good Wolfpack starting pitching or not. We have our work cut out for us, no doubt about it. I was there tonight and I plan on being there tomorrow. GO DEACS!

Anyone have an estimate regarding tonight's attendance? Can't get much better weather for watching a baseball game.

You aren't going to get any sort of attendance traction for a program that never makes the NCAA tournament.

You aren't going to get any sort of attendance traction for a program that never makes the NCAA tournament.

True. Sadly true of Wake Forest baseball. It is a wonderful venue for watching college baseball, but baseball is slow and long and there is little point if the end result is most often failure! Year after year of failure!

We are typically good enough to be in the discussion about a bid, but we never seem to get over the hump.

Saw where the Dash had over 7,000 last night. Really tough for a cellar-dwelling program to compete with the Dash's game atmosphere.

Saw where the Dash had over 7,000 last night. Really tough for a cellar-dwelling program to compete with the Dash's game atmosphere.

I wonder how many top-drawing college teams are within, say, a 45-min drive of a major or minor league team.
My hypothesis is that it's hard for most towns to support both.
Maybe I'll look that up at some point, unless someone else wants to.

Terrible base running team. Does anybody know was Craig picked off third straight up or was it a missed squeeze play?

1) LSU - None
2) Mississippi State - None
3) Arkansas - 22 minutes to Springdale
4) South Carolina - None
5) Ole Miss - None
6) Texas - 24 minutes to Round Rock
7) FSU - None
8) Clemson - 42 minutes to Greenville
9) Texas A&M - None
10) Louisiana Lafayette - None

Terrible base running team. Does anybody know was Craig picked off third straight up or was it a missed squeeze play?

From my seat, it looked like Craig was picked off third straight up. He was also thrown out by 'a mile' trying to stretch a single into a double on a ball he hit that bounced off the left field wall.

To me, the last inning and a half said it all. In the bottom of the 8th, the 1st batter leads off with a solid single but is stranded at 1st base. We pop up a bunt trying to play small ball. In the top of the ninth, State leads off with a single, they get their bunt down to advance the runner to second, and then they get a 2 out hit to score the lead run. In the bottom of the ninth, we get 2 on after 2 out with hit batters, but we strikeout to end the game instead of getting a 2 out hit. State executed when it mattered and we didn't. Ballgame!

Luckily, we got some help today when Pitt beat GT, and Duke rallied with 6 in the 9th to beat UVa. ND swept a DH from UNC and Louisville beat FSU. Here are the updated standings going into Sunday's games.

1. Louisville 22-4
2. Miami 19-8
3. FSU 17-9
4. Notre Dame 14-12
5. NC State 13-12
5. UNC 13-12

7. Clemson 13-13
8. Georgia Tech 12-14
9. Virginia Tech 12-14
10. Virginia 11-15
10. Wake Forest 11-15

12. Boston College 9-17
13. Duke 8-17
14. Pitt 7-19

Last edited:
Wonder how long the coach will get to continually miss the ACC Tournament?

Straight pick off with one out. Terrible play. Nice venue and good crowd. Weak offensive showing. Pitchers did a good job.

Back