• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

Schools have wide discretion to issue financial aid based upon need and/or academic achievement for incoming students (although there are some nuances when dealing with D-1 athletes). My understanding is that Vandy and Rice are particularly good at making those vehicles work to take care of baseball commits that aren't covered by the NCAA 11.7 scholarship limit. Have heard scuttlebutt that WF may not be as generous in that area, but admit that is all third-hand commentary.

From what I have read, they provide academic $ assistance, as well as a number of other top baseball schools. I admit, it seems an obvious loop-hole around NCAA scholly rules. But, appears it's the new thinking for many.

This guy has it right. Places like UVA, Vandy, Stanford, Rice, etc. figured out about 5-10 years ago that to really compete at the highest levels that were going to have to offer more financial assistance in the form of academic money to get top players to come to their school. Most schools have 12 schollys that are split up among the team. Its been well reported that the smaller schools have even less (see Davidson with 3). So the scholly money has to come from somewhere as out of state players can't go to the schools above on just athletic support. Vandy & UVA both have titles in the last 3 years.

This guy has it right. Places like UVA, Vandy, Stanford, Rice, etc. figured out about 5-10 years ago that to really compete at the highest levels that were going to have to offer more financial assistance in the form of academic money to get top players to come to their school. Most schools have 12 schollys that are split up among the team. Its been well reported that the smaller schools have even less (see Davidson with 3). So the scholly money has to come from somewhere as out of state players can't go to the schools above on just athletic support. Vandy & UVA both have titles in the last 3 years.

Stanford offers free tuition to any student whose parents earn less than $125k and have "typical assets"

from anecdotal evidence, coaches at Stanford can and do put their thumbs on the admission scale for "walk-ons" who then get need-based assistance and play sports

Stanford admission rates examples: 4.8% of all applicants; 8% of applicants with 800 on the math SAT

you don't win eleventy billion consecutive Director's Cups on luck

I don't see Roberts coming back.

Pitchers are always one pitch away from a major injury. Unlike Dunshee last year, Roberts will go in the first 5 rounds. Really hard to justify another year of wear and tear on his arm.

Think the Deacs may surprise next year. Yes, the losses are massive (all 3 weekend starters, closer, lead-off, 3 and 4 hitters among others), but the freshman class is solid, and would expect McSweeney, Pelsue and Carter Bach to be very solid on the mound next year. Mueller, Aiello will be draft prospects next year, and Frick looked good when he played this year. If Maronpot and Steele (draft eligible sophomore) return, the lineup will still be reasonably potent (3 returning hitters with 12+ HRs). Really hard to know how ready the freshman will be to contribute, but the incoming class has talent as well. Program close to the re-load mode.

S.Carolina is a top 5 program.
Walter has definitely proved himself over the last couple of years, but it wasn't long ago that his job security at WF was a concern. Would be surprised if SC made the offer, but there may be a Tanner/Walter connection that gives the WF coach a boost.

Top 5 in the SEC, or top 5 nationally? Granted, they had an impressive run in the early part of this decade, but I would be hesitant to put them in the top 10-12 jobs nationally in baseball.

a) Two Natties,
b) a rabid fanbase (always among the top in attendance),
c) great area to recruit baseball players to
d) a priority sport for the school's athletic department

Very subjective to name the top 5 baseball programs, but SC would make my list.

a) Two Natties,

I would never consider Columbia SC a great area. Always 5 degrees hotter than anywhere else in the region and a shithole of a town.

a) Two Natties,

When I heard the names, I was surprised the Florida and UVA HCs were on there. Both are better programs to me.

I'd go

Vandy
UVA
Florida
LSU
UCLA
Texas
UNC
FSU

all over South Carolina.

The situation in Columbia and the firing of Chad Holbrook really boils down to missing the NCAA tourney 2 out of the last 3 years which can't happen down there. Tanner made it every year he was the coach down there including his first year when he came over from NCSU. He left a loaded roster to a guy that was his top assistant but had never been a head coach. It was much like Matt Doherty getting the job at UNC having never been a head man.

That said, one big season from Walter isn't gonna get him the job in Columbia. Brian O Connor (UVA), Kevin O' Sullivan (Florida), or Jim Schlossnagle (TCU) are most likely. Dan McDonnell (Louisville) is simply already being paid a ton and even the Cocks probably won't give enough to force a move.

lol. This reminds me of Texas's list last year which is a better job. Didn't work out too well.

a) Two Natties,

to add to this: SC has played in the national title series/game 6 different times, winning 2. They have been winning big in Columbia for decades, not just the 2000's. The have a fantastic stadium that sells out on the regular. They have had many first round draft picks in the MLB draft and have multiple players drafted almost every year. Is it hot in Columbia? Yes. And guess what warm weather, even hot weather, is a good thing for college baseball. Would you rather play in East Lansing Michigan or Columbia SC in February? The AD is a baseball guy. SC is without a doubt a top 5 job in college baseball.

When I heard the names, I was surprised the Florida and UVA HCs were on there. Both are better programs to me.

I'd go

Vandy
UVA
Florida
LSU
UCLA
Texas
UNC
FSU

all over South Carolina.

Considering the fact that UNC, Florida, and FSU have NEVER won a natty in baseball and the Cocks won back to back titles less than a decade ago, I would have to disagree with you on your list.

a) Two Natties,

They are definitely behind these programs: LSU, Florida (though Florida's stadium situation is not ideal)

I would be hard pressed to put them above either of these programs also in their own conference: Mississippi State, Vandy

and Auburn, Arkansas, and a few others are knocking on their door. I think they got really fortunate in back-to-back years under a great coach, and it will be really interesting to see where they go after the past couple of down years.

Considering the fact that UNC, Florida, and FSU have NEVER won a natty in baseball and the Cocks won back to back titles less than a decade ago, I would have to disagree with you on your list.

pretty stunning that fsu hasn't won a natty in baseball

They are definitely behind these programs: LSU, Florida (though Florida's stadium situation is not ideal)

I would be hard pressed to put them above either of these programs also in their own conference: Mississippi State, Vandy

and Auburn, Arkansas, and a few others are knocking on their door. I think they got really fortunate in back-to-back years under a great coach, and it will be really interesting to see where they go after the past couple of down years.

You don't win back to back titles in a sport like college baseball by being "really fortunate". But the current state of the program is worse than most SEC schools, you're right. Still gotta give the program its due unless this trend continues the next couple years.

I think we have a much better chance of winning if it is a slug fest vs. trying to win a low scoring game.

There's a lot less margin for error and I think ability to score runs has covered up a lot of deficiencies in games (i.e., baserunning errors, runners left on base, closer who can't throw strikes).

Back