• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

Baseball America has scouting reports for teams from anonymous coaches. They have all been really good of course until you get to Wake. Wasn't it the GT pitcher who muttered something about a Wiffle Ball park to somebody on this board?

Also, our fielding percentage is 34th nationally, and he talks about how bad we are defensively. Again, we gave GT a game this year with a couple of late defensive miscues.

And if our park is that hitter friendly, then wouldn't that mean our pitching is really good to have an era just over 4.00 playing more than half of our games here.

Terrible scouting report.

"There’s a drastic difference on the road. These guys can hit—I’m not taking that away. But as a little bit of an example, when you look at ballpark factors, we found that (Wake’s ballpark) has a park factor of 150. That means it has 50 percent more offense than the average (Division I park). Florida, for example, is basically about 100. So every stat is inflated by about 50 percent. You’re still talking about a team that can hit, but then you factor that in . . .
“The park is so small . . . and they recruit guys who can hit. They’re not very good defensively, but they’re built for that ballpark. It’s the opposite of the 1980s Cardinals who had Willie McGee and Vince Coleman who could all fly and the turf was so fast. They’ve done the opposite of that. I don’t blame them; that’s what I would do, too.”
“It’s a hard place to win because of academics. But they play wiffle ball in a wiffle ball park and they’ve recruited right to it. But I wouldn’t want to pitch there.”
“Still, good pitching beats good hitting. It’s hard to factor the difference between a team like Florida, which is supposed to go to Omaha (and Wake). Maybe they play tight, or maybe they play loose because they think, ‘Hey nobody expected us here.'”

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/coll...view-wake-forest-florida/#ya6AL6queTIs4mMM.99

Last edited:
That's why he kept it secret, because he had idea it was wrong!

A 6 year old knows right and wrong.

If this kid had no idea that sexually molesting a 4-6 year old was wrong, his parents should go to jail.

Baseball America has scouting reports for teams from anonymous coaches. They have all been really good of course until you get to Wake. Wasn't it the GT pitcher who muttered something about a Wiffle Ball park to somebody on this board?

Also, our fielding percentage is 34th nationally, and he talks about how bad we are defensively. Again, we gave GT a game this year with a couple of late defensive miscues.

"There’s a drastic difference on the road. These guys can hit—I’m not taking that away. But as a little bit of an example, when you look at ballpark factors, we found that (Wake’s ballpark) has a park factor of 150. That means it has 50 percent more offense than the average (Division I park). Florida, for example, is basically about 100. So every stat is inflated by about 50 percent. You’re still talking about a team that can hit, but then you factor that in . . .
“The park is so small . . . and they recruit guys who can hit. They’re not very good defensively, but they’re built for that ballpark. It’s the opposite of the 1980s Cardinals who had Willie McGee and Vince Coleman who could all fly and the turf was so fast. They’ve done the opposite of that. I don’t blame them; that’s what I would do, too.”
“It’s a hard place to win because of academics. But they play wiffle ball in a wiffle ball park and they’ve recruited right to it. But I wouldn’t want to pitch there.”
“Still, good pitching beats good hitting. It’s hard to factor the difference between a team like Florida, which is supposed to go to Omaha (and Wake). Maybe they play tight, or maybe they play loose because they think, ‘Hey nobody expected us here.'”

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/coll...view-wake-forest-florida/#ya6AL6queTIs4mMM.99

I'm no statistician, but I'm fairly certain that you can't flat out say that "every stat is inflated by about 50 percent."

Anybody have any data on our pitchers' ERA at home vs. on the road? I'm assuming our ERA is much better on the road. This weekend is gonna be great!

And if our park is that hitter friendly, then wouldn't that mean our pitching is really good to have an era just over 4.00 playing more than half of our games here.

Terrible scouting report.

What a dick

What a dick

My thoughts exactly.

Sports writers, coaches, analysts, etc., all want us to fail in every sport. No one wants to get beat by the second smallest Div 1 school in the country. I say we use it as fuel for the fire this weekend and take 2 from Florida. Go Deacs!

In the NCAA's twitter polls, Wake is the biggest underdog in the super regionals with only 26% favoring Wake. Even Davidson has a higher favorability against aTm with 27%.

Partly a popularity contest but it's interesting how Wake's reputation precedes it.

This is a good example of why once you do something in this country the stigma never leaves you. Six years ago and only 15, if he hasn't done anything since let the man be.

This is the coldest take on these boards in recent memory. Yikes.

The scouting report sounds like it was authored by a bitter coach who got his arse handed to him at Gene Hooks field (and who has lost some recruiting battles with WF).

WF beat the NCAA POY, Brendan McKay at L'ville where he was 20-1 in his career. WF won at Clemson, won 2 of 3 at FSU, 2 of 3 at Miami, and had a 15-9 road record. To make it sound like WF's success can only be explaned because we play in a tiny ball-park with a bunch of mongos that can only mash is ridiculous. Stuart Fairchild is rated as the best or 2nd best defensive OF in all of college baseball. As mentioned above, WF's was in top 40 of college baseball in fielding, and WF's Friday and Sunday starters are a combined 17-1 on the season (that included road and neutral field starts), and WF has one of the best closers in the NCAA. F that report.

Last edited:
Wake outscored opponents at home 281-158 (over 31 games)

Wake outscored opponents on the road 191-142 (over 29 games)

That breaks down to winning the average home game 9.06-5.10 and the average road game 6.59-4.90.

It's also worth noting that the road schedule was more difficult than the home schedule. We played Houston, Florida State, Clemson, Louisville, Duke (bleh), and Miami on the road. We got State, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech at home. Only one of those five made the tournament while four of the six in the road group made it, with Miami being one of the last two teams out.

This is a good example of why once you do something in this country the stigma never leaves you. Six years ago and only 15, if he hasn't done anything since let the man be.

giphy.gif

The wiffle ball comment is 100% from Georgia Tech's coach.

"Cracker Jack Box" is what the Tech pitcher called it, so yeah the wiffle ball park was probably the Jackets salty ass coach. That report is so off the mark from top to bottom it should be pinned up in the locker room Belichek style.

"Cracker Jack Box" is what the Tech pitcher called it, so yeah the wiffle ball park was probably the Jackets salty ass coach. That report is so off the mark from top to bottom it should be pinned up in the locker room Belichek style.

Walter is missing a great opportunity if he doesn't.

Baseball America should have sought out another opinion. All the other articles, including Davidson - who is barely in the top 100 of the RPI, have substantive and generally positive analysis. Wake's a consensus top 15 team and those comments make it sound like Wake is bottom 50 in the country and played 90% of their games in a little league park.

It doesn't really matter, but it's ridiculous.

Virginia Tech hired Maryland's head coach. That's a good hire for them. Not great news for Maryland who was traditionally awful before Szefc got there.

So a .200 hitter is a .300 hitter if he plays at Wake because the left field foul pole is 10 feet closer ? Makes sense.

Back