• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

I actually don't even mind the format, just the way that it was scheduled.

The three pods are interesting. I just don't get the surplus of games played in a tournament that could easily have been avoided.

Hopefully the bats got going and that will help us tomorrow and into the weekend.

Don't they play "meaningless" games in all other sports at the end of seasons? Should teams not going to the bowl games just cancel their final games? The tournament was scheduled as a two game minimum, I'm sure today wasn't meaningless for those teams who played their last game.

I don't think Yale would schedule a game against Holy Cross at 10 at night if they played an NCAA game at 3 the next day

I think doof/# argument has merit in the sense it preserves meaningful games. However... I can guarantee that the reason it was rejected was because it forced the top seed to guess which teams it should play its ace against, and to use its top two pitchers in the first round. And it likely would result in some top seeds learning after beating one lower seed that they could sluff off if they beat the correct one; while others beat the loser and would still have to pitch one of their top two, which would leave them in a weaker position than the other top seeds who saved a P. The way it was scheduled allowed ALL top seeds to expend only one of their best Ps (against the lower seed winner) and have equal footing pitching-wise for all subsequent rounds.

Aside from that, I agree again with doof/# that it was the extreme lateness of the meaningless game that was the "big" issue yesterday, from a basic rest perspective. Not from a pitching use perspective.

Don't they play "meaningless" games in all other sports at the end of seasons? Should teams not going to the bowl games just cancel their final games? The tournament was scheduled as a two game minimum, I'm sure today wasn't meaningless for those teams who played their last game.

Meaningless in terms of postseason play? Absolutely yes. Meaningless for seniors playing their last game or whatever sentimental value exist? Probably not.

i don't think Clemson views tomorrow's game as meaningless

they have fallen, hard, and if they don't get their shit together fast they will have a quick exit from the NCAAT

tomorrow is an opportunity to get said shit together, especially if UVA loses to Duke today and therefore is also staring at a week with no more games before the NCAAT

Meaningless game, but... hate looking this bad in another WF postseason performance.

Just wait till the entire game is over before whining. We won. Baseball is played over 9 innings and it ain't over till it's over remember as Yogi or somebody said.

Yale (Ivy Champ) just scheduled two "meaningless" games against Holy Cross (Patriot Champ) as both await their spot in the NCAA field:
http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-basebl/2016-17/releases/20170523dzknwr

Several NCAA women's teams do the same thing when they usually play in the NCAA tournament and their leagues always play in the early week of tourney play. That way they have a game against competition instead of sitting for 2 weeks idle. Officials like it too because they get full game pay!!!

Just wait till the entire game is over before whining. We won. Baseball is played over 9 innings and it ain't over till it's over remember as Yogi or somebody said.

I have no problem with commenting during the game about our performance up to that point. It's part of the experience. I've never gotten the mentality that all opinions need to be held until afterward. Very odd practice to me.

If there's an opportunity to bitch, believe you me Mr. Loh energy will take it

Well, I cheer when there's something to cheer about. I'm not a cheerLEADER. If you haven't figured it out by now, I try hard to be objective and based on my long history with Wake I have a healthy skepticism. That's the style which enables me to continue to be a Wake fan.

Looking like it may have been a MONTE ACCT to have in NC. Oh whale!

Duke has to win the tourney to dance right?

Last edited:
Yeah the bottom four and probably Miami need to win to dance. Miami may be able to get in with a championship game appearance but they're still probably on the wrong side of the bubble.

Yeah the bottom four and probably Miami need to win to dance. Miami may be able to get in with a championship game appearance but they're still probably on the wrong side of the bubble.
Miami did finish 3 games over 500 in the ACC a Championship Game appearance would definitely get them in I think and maybe even just a trip to the semis. Right now they're RPI is 47. I bet a win over us would get them down into the 30s the semi-final when would probably get them around 30 or maybe even better

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Duke up four 3 going to top of the ninth

Duke wins and is the first semi-final team play the winner of Louisville and Florida State

BTW, today was our 1st come from behind 9th inning win all year.

I can think of at least 3 games where we have blown 9th inning leads (GT, Pitt, Clem).

Back