• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

If this was single elimination, would you feel the same?

That's a good question, but I think I would. If you're the host of a regional from a power conference, I feel like you've got to think your #2 or #3 should be able to get your through a UMBC. However, if it's a situation where a lower conference team has a stud pitcher that the big boys missed on, it's probably a different story.

I still don't think I'm throwing Dunshee if it's single-elimination but that's a closer question.

Wake lost three total OOC games this year at home (one was to USC at the beginning of the season with a weekend starter on the mound) and so with midweek guys out there we still only lost twice at home. Given that you're going to be throwing a weekend starter, who presumably is going to give you a better starting win probability, I think you go with either Sellers or Johnstone and save Dunshee for the next elimination game.

Good question.

Is the $10 alcohol tent hospitality upgrade per game, per day, or for the whole weekend? Do you get one wristband? Also- Stanford threw their ace as a #1 seed regional host playing the #4 seed last night and won. I think the #4 seed Stanford was playing had a stud pitcher though. A lot of variables to the pitching.

The biggest key is you want to be 2-0. Whatever gets you to 2-0 gets you the biggest advantage that can be gained in the regional format.

Is the $10 alcohol tent hospitality upgrade per game, per day, or for the whole weekend? Do you get one wristband? Also- Stanford threw their ace as a #1 seed regional host playing the #4 seed last night and won. I think the #4 seed Stanford was playing had a stud pitcher though. A lot of variables to the pitching.

The biggest key is you want to be 2-0. Whatever gets you to 2-0 gets you the biggest advantage that can be gained in the regional format.

I think it's per game because it's $25 per session.

Also, Stanford won 10-0. One game sample sizes are awful, but surely their 2-3 pitcher could keep the other team under 10.

Stanford was also facing Justin Dillon:

Justin Dillon, rhp. The 6-foot-3 senior pitched the first no-hitter in Sac State’s Division I history on Feb. 24, striking out 13 in a 2-0 win over Northern Kentucky. Dillon was WAC Tournament MVP, going 2-0 and striking out 12 in 12 innings with just one run allowed. He is 5-7, 3.12 with 103 strikeouts in 106.2 innings this season.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/coll...tanford-regional-preview/#Eqi3ucqxJ5hXPCK0.97

and Stanford has several quality pitchers

this is a fun-ish discussion but it would be more meaningful if there were a large dropoff between Dunshee and the other weekend starters (there isn't)

I agree it's not a large dropoff, but Dunshee is certainly the clear cut top guy.

in ACC games, Johnstone has a 3.32 ERA in 59 2/3 innings with a 1.44 WHIP, allowing an opposing OPS of .694
in ACC games, Dunshee has a 4.21 ERA in 62 innings with a 1.45 WHIP, allowing an opposing OPS of .777

those numbers alone do not tell the whole story, and Dunshee strikes a lot of guys out, but it's tough to go from those numbers to stating that Dunshee is the clear cut top guy

Just drove by the baseball park and there is $10.00 fee for parking. I think this has been touched on elsewhere, but there seems to be a fee even if you are parking in the football stadium parking lot. Anyone know if you can come in the back entrance of the football lot and get in for free?

For basketball when they charge for parking in the football lot they normally leave the back entrance open/no charge, so I am going to try that. The beer tent is confusing, are you able to carry the beer back to the stands? Basically just purchasing a wrist-band? Hopefully it is not like what they did for football a couple years ago.

The Holes are throwing their 9-0, projected first-rounder vs. Davidson today. Hope our strategy works and theirs blows up in their face.

In a vacuum (not taking into account RHP batting avg vs LHP batting average for given teams), put me in the camp that says you pitch your ace, assuming he's the one that gives you the best chance to win this game. UMBC may be significantly worse than Maryland or WVU, but they're still good enough to be here, and baseball is a sport where the averages are just too fickle to risk giving up runs. It's certainly an interesting debate though.

Fortunately we don't live in a vacuum and hopefully our coaches know what's best given the strengths and weaknesses of the other 3 teams. IMO though, you play to beat UMBC today, not WVU or Maryland next game.

Last edited:
WHO'S BRINGING THE RAKES?? We need a rake and beer hospitality tent stat! Make it happen sports marketing. This is our moment. #RakeForest is coming alive!

For basketball when they charge for parking in the football lot they normally leave the back entrance open/no charge, so I am going to try that. The beer tent is confusing, are you able to carry the beer back to the stands? Basically just purchasing a wrist-band? Hopefully it is not like what they did for football a couple years ago.

I was told that you must drink the beer in the tent. No bringing it to the stands. I dont understand the need to charge $10 for the honor of buying beer. Stupid.

Just go stand along the first baseline fence and bring a cooler of booze from your dorm room. That's what I'd do.

I'm not sure which team I despise more. West Virginia and their shit show of a uniform or the pin stripes on Maryland. Fuck em both

2-0 WV. South Florida beating B Cookman which is good for us.

Back