• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2018

So, our 3 best pitchers always get 7 days rest between starts? Is that a guideline, rule, cautious approach, or what?

That's just standard for all of college baseball. You have weekend guys and mid-week guys. And SP's will start once a week

This weekend's Clemson series is huge

I mean do we really have any NCAAT at large shot? Hard to believe regardless of what our conference record is that we'll get included given how we've performed non conference. At minimum we'd surely have to be +.500 overall

I vaguely remember an Auburn team getting an at large bid despite having a record barely above .500 and not making the SEC tournament (it was an 8 team event; so, the teams finishing 9 and lower did not make the conference tourney). That said, WF is an unbelievably bad 7-12 in OOC games with some really bad losses. Would think that WF would need to get over .500 to have any shot. That said, WF does have series left against Clemson and State (the two teams ahead of WF in the standings); the selection committee could be in a quandary if WF somehow finished first in the Atlantic ahead of 4 or 5 teams that are considered "in". Unlikely, but not an impossibility.

We're 17-20 with 19 games left, including 9 games against teams outside the top 100 in RPI. If Wake finishes 13-6 or 14-5 with all five or six losses in coming in conference play, that would leave us at either 30-26 or 31-25 with a 17-13 or 16-14 ACC record (likely good enough for top five or six in the conference). That's probably pretty squarely on the bubble entering the ACCT.

I don't think this will happen at all, but it's possible and would likely have us inside the top 50 in RPI going to tourney play.

I think what's more likely is we finish somewhere around 10-9 but are still firmly in the ACCT.

So, our 3 best pitchers always get 7 days rest between starts? Is that a guideline, rule, cautious approach, or what?

What's the alternative? We're throwing Roberts on Friday nights and he's always going to make the starts on consecutive Fridays. So when would you throw him otherwise? If you throw him Tuesday you're definitely overworking him to consistently have him going on Fridays as well. Same goes for the other two starters. If you pitch the same day each week, you're not going to squeeze in a third start in a week.

If we get a few games above .500 overall, have a decent ACC record, and win a few games in the ACC Tourney, we definitely can get an NCAA bid. We have some strong series wins on the year and have played a difficult schedule. Just gotta get hot right now.

The one complaint I have about how we have pitched this year is in the mid-week games. We have thrown out an arsenal of pitchers to each pitch an inning, and we've lost some mid-week games. I'd try to win all of the last mid-weekers by going with our best pitcher for the last few weeks rather than try to get the whole bullpen work.

I feel like we could definitely throw Bach for the majority of the midweek games then bring in Supple for a 3-ish inning close and still have him refreshed by the weekend.

Thinking in just theory if you had an unusually high need and exceptional individual and unusual situation. Exp. One could pitch Friday, then some on Tuesday, and likely OK again on Sunday. - Times change and you need to protect the players but IIRC when Wake won the WS in 1955, I've heard Lefty Davis pitched a couple of games on short notice. Maybe that hurt him so better concern for player now. It was just a question and I understand the above answers. Do major league pitchers go on a week rest? I thought/assumed 4-5 days rest. (you see I don't follow them that closely)

Thinking in just theory if you had an unusually high need and exceptional individual and unusual situation. Exp. One could pitch Friday, then some on Tuesday, and likely OK again on Sunday. - Times change and you need to protect the players but IIRC when Wake won the WS in 1955, I've heard Lefty Davis pitched a couple of games on short notice. Maybe that hurt him so better concern for player now. It was just a question and I understand the above answers. Do major league pitchers go on a week rest? I thought/assumed 4-5 days rest. (you see I don't follow them that closely)

It's usually a week at least for MLB pitchers. That's why you see designations and call-ups so frequently. Starting pitchers are generally on a schedule and will not move out of that schedule unless it's the playoffs - essentially like in college.

Once WF gets to the ACC tournament (and the NCAA) it's all hands on deck, but WF's weekend starters (particularly Peluse and Roberts) are MLB prospects, and if Walter messed with their routine during the season and a MLB prospect injured an elbow or shoulder, the negative recruiting would be off the hook. I get the frustration of beating FSU and L'ville and then losing to Liberty and Charlotte, but don't see WF risking their most valuable arms by pitching them more than once a week.

Most MLB teams use five starters. Fifth starter gets skipped when off days allow the first four to get enough rest (usually four days) between starts. If college pitchers went on that schedule, a weekend starter could pitch like Friday and Wednesday, but then would not have enough rest until the following Monday, thus missing a weekend start. Therefore college coaches give their guys 6 days rest and pitch them once a week.

I have the same confidence in losing by 6 runs today as I do taking 2 of 3 from Clemson.

Down 8-1. Sad thing is, the midweek games are rarely even competitive. Bach has been terrible. McNamee looked like he was going to emerge but he has been bad as well. So many walks and hbp. Wake is not the offensive team to come back from big deficits and every Tuesday it seems as if we are down big early.

Strange season. Set aside records or RPI or any of that. I would guess other teams would *hate* if we showed up as a 3 or 4 seed in their pod. We seem to be fringe top-25 with our weekend pitching

Above says we are/were down 8-1. I'm disappointed our mid-week pitchers are not doing better. Young, etc..
However, perhaps as or more disappointing is that our regular hitters are in the line-up and we don't score runs. As someone said, crazy that we have more ACC wins than OOC wins. At least we have had some good moments in ACC play this year.

Back