• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

Not that anybody cares, but a 14-8 win today against Western. Batting has improved, but pitching going the wrong direction. Disappointing.

I mentioned Danny Borrell a couple of times this year. Maybe best overall baseball player in Wake history. Came back to get his degree. From NC. I think he's worth an interview. (Current assistant at GT.)

Adler and Mascalo look to be 2 of our best pitchers,and neither gets utilized hardly at all on the weekends and Àdler hardly at all period.

"Best pitchers' in non leverage situations and midweeks. Those dudes will get lit up on the weekends against ACC hitters.

Adler is our closer and has pitched really well in the few weekend leverage situations we have had, but walter hasn't been the least bit flexible so he has pitched 1.1 innings the last 2 1/2 weeks. Mascalo is more unproven, but should get weekend work based on his results. I don't understand defined roles with our staff.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, our saturday and sunday starters have ERAs of 7.46 and 7.79 in conference play (2nd and 3rd worst of all eligible pitchers). Having a good closer doesn't matter if you can't get him the ball with a chance to win the game.

Meanwhile, our saturday and sunday starters have ERAs of 7.46 and 7.79 in conference play (2nd and 3rd worst of all eligible pitchers). Having a good closer doesn't matter if you can't get him the ball with a chance to win the game.
That is incredible.

I've been wondering whether Mascolo could move to Sundays, starting this Sunday on 4 days' rest.

both those guys (fleming and lowder) have really strong peripheral stats as well, which would suggest they shouldn't be giving up many runs. this isn't a new phenomenon for us either; i know we play in a hitter-friendly park, but it almost certainly goes beyond that -- some combination of poor defense and just doing really poorly in high leverage situations (which also anecdotally appears to be a theme for this program)

both those guys (fleming and lowder) have really strong peripheral stats as well, which would suggest they shouldn't be giving up many runs. this isn't a new phenomenon for us either; i know we play in a hitter-friendly park, but it almost certainly goes beyond that -- some combination of poor defense and just doing really poorly in high leverage situations (which also anecdotally appears to be a theme for this program)

reminder that we give up 2 WP+PB per game on the year; we're not particularly effective at stopping base-stealers; and of course we commit a lot of errors

Jim Callis just posted his updated MLB draft rankings. From WF:

- #19 Ryan Cusick (apparently, WF is wasting its time recruiting players from Massachusetts; Cusick looks to be the 2nd WF player from Mass; drafted in the first round as the Braves took WF's Jared Shuster, also from Mass.; in round 1 last year.

- #94 Peter Huebeck (Class of 2021 recruit from Baltimore)

Here is he link to the top 150 list: https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Vandy with Al Leiter's kid #1 and Tracy Rocker's kid #3 headline the draft prospects.

Didnt the Tampa Bay Devil Rays experiment with starting their closers and finishing with their starters? I don’t think I’m making this up. Fleming was a closer and seems to be able to get through a lineup once but then all hell breaks loose.

Didnt the Tampa Bay Devil Rays experiment with starting their closers and finishing with their starters? I don’t think I’m making this up. Fleming was a closer and seems to be able to get through a lineup once but then all hell breaks loose.

The Rays were the first to use a relief pitcher to start a game "an opener". Then, they would often use a starter in the middle innings; then depending on the game situation, would use their best available bullpen pitchers at the end if they held a slight lead or the game was tied. Lots of other teams have experimented with it recent years, even in the playoffs. The A's started Liam Hendricks in a playoff game against the Yankees a couple of years ago. To discourage the use of an "opener", MLB is considering adopting a rule where a team can only DH for the starting pitcher. Once the starting pitcher is lifted, the DH must leave the game too, and at that point, the pitcher in the game must bat, or the that team must burn a pinch hitter.

Jim Callis just posted his updated MLB draft rankings. From WF:

- #19 Ryan Cusick (apparently, WF is wasting its time recruiting players from Massachusetts; Cusick looks to be the 2nd WF player from Mass; drafted in the first round as the Braves took WF's Jared Shuster, also from Mass.; in round 1 last year.

- #94 Peter Huebeck (Class of 2021 recruit from Baltimore)

Here is he link to the top 150 list: https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Vandy with Al Leiter's kid #1 and Tracy Rocker's kid #3 headline the draft prospects.

You forgot josh hartle at 28. Hope wake loses both pitchers to the draft. Let Walter lose some more.

Root against WF.... Says all you need to know

Yes, what terrible unworthy people these coaches are. Thank goodness that we have these anonymous internet critics that have such superior knowledge and actively root for their school to fail. Heart warming

Back