• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball thread, season underway

We have periods of excellent baseball. But we also have periods where the wheels fall off.

In addition to the national title in 1955, we were runners up in 1949. The last period of dominant Wake baseball was 1998-2003. Won ACC titles in 1998, 1999 and 2001. Last time we showed any life was reaching the ACC tournament title game in 2007.

Greer (1998-2003) was fired by Wellman. So, that little escapade of success was shut down pretty damn quick.

So, I await our other periods of "excellent baseball" outside of 1955.

You talk like 1955 was a fluke. It wasn't even our first appearance in the National Championship game. We lost to Texas in the title game in 1949. From 1954-1964, we put between 5-7 players on the All-ACC team every year. Then we had a down period followed by another good run from 1976-1983 where we added an ACC title in 1977 and had the ACC player of the year in 1977, 1981, 1982 and 1983.

Getting rid of Greer at that point was stupid. But losing Bobby Moranda and the administration shutting down our California JUCO pipeline hurt just as much.

Our run was over after the JUCO pipeline and Moranda were gone. We were 4-20 in the ACC Greer's last season.

Once Moranda left for GT, the talent dried up right after that. Greer MAY have been a good coach but w/o Moranda he wasn't much and that's why he got canned. Moranda's talent took Tech to the NCAA's from 2002-2006 and included 2 trips to Omaha. Moranda then became the head coach at Western Carolina where he hasn't done a whole lot with last year being his best in 5 years at 32-24. He may be one of those guys thats a better assistant than head man. I wonder if he could be lured back. Cullowhee, NC is a dump of a town.

Not much to report until games get started, season starts with a doubleheader on Friday in Louisiana.

I guess we'll have to wait for the press release for that first game to see who's starting this weekend.

Pretty front-loaded home conference schedule, which is a bummer with the weather.

I think I'm going to try to make it out for the home opener on Feb. 22. I suppose they probably don't have $1 beers like the Warthogs did.

I really wish they at least allowed you to bring beer into the games/turned a blind eye to it. Nothing better than hitting up an afternoon game on a nice Spring day with some brewskis.

BC7gbw0CAAANncA.jpg:large

New seats are in.

Love the seats. Weird to see it that way though....I spent many Thursday evenings in that stadium drinking cheap beer and heckling the away team's third base coach.

Love the seats. Weird to see it that way though....I spent many Thursday evenings in that stadium drinking cheap beer and heckling the away team's third base coach.

Have you been since we acquired and renovated? It's like a whole new ballpark now. It really looks a lot better.

Are they going to paint the press box? Maybe its just the picture but it looks a bit grungy with the new paint job and seats.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/121812aab.html

Hall of Famer and 19-time MLB All-Star Cal Ripken, Jr. will be a special guest at the 2013 Wake Forest Baseball First Pitch Dinner Presented by David Couch and The Blue Ridge Companies, Inc., on Thursday, February 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the Snead Room at Bridger Field House.

"Cal Ripken and Wake Forest baseball are the perfect match. All the attributes that make Cal Ripken who he is are the very attributes we are trying to develop in our student-athletes - class, grace, endurance, humility, competitiveness, toughness, work ethic, talent and leadership," said head baseball coach Tom Walter. "Cal is a Hall of Fame baseball player, but he is an even better human being. Just having him on campus will make our program better."

The cost of the event will be $100 per person or $900 for a table of 10 people.

In addition to Ripken, Walter and members of the Wake Forest baseball team will be special guests.

The evening will also be highlighted by both a silent and live auction featuring a Cal Ripken, Jr. autographed jersey, tickets to the 2013 MLB All-Star Game at Citi Field in NYC, and much more.

Proceeds from the auctions and event will benefit the Wake Forest Baseball program. Every ticket purchase also comes with a complimentary Wake Forest Baseball season pass, valued at $45 (table purchases come with 10 season passes, valued at $450).

The deadline for online registration is Friday, February 15, at 5 p.m., and you can access the registration page with the above link.

Back