• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/BC Game Thread

That doesn't mean squat. You are comparing apples to oranges. Teams used to play 25-game schedules....and many players only had three varsity years. Now teams are playing, what, 30-game schedules? And four years. Charlie Davis scored 1,970 points in only 79 games. Len Chappell scored 2,165 points in 87 games. Paul Long scored 1,225 points in just 53 games. Skip Brown scored 2,034 points in 108 games. Bob Leonard scored 1,637 points in 80 games.

In the last 4 years, Wake Forest has played 125 games.

This is all fair and is why I said two of wake's better scorers, not 2 of wake's best scorers.

CJ and Travis are the exact kind of players [Redacted] and wellman profess to want yet their careers will end up being squandered. It's a damn shame and should be talked about.

Not me. Replace two of the better scorers in WFU history??? WTF is he talking about?

I'm not sure what you find so contentious about his claim of "two of the better." If each coach constitutes an epoch of Wake Forest basketball, then C.J. Harris and Travis McKie will surely be remembered as the two best players to don OG&B during Jeff [Redacted]'s coaching tenure.

Wake's media guide only lists the top 12 for PPG. Duncan is #12 at 16.5 ppg.

I would argue that PPG pretty plainly favors the players who couldn't play their first year by NCAA rule. There are only three post-1978 players (not sure when that rule changed) in the top 12 list: Rodney Rogers, Randolph Childress, and Tim Duncan. Travis's PPG went up 3 points his sophomore year (CJ's was static, but that was a fairly unique circumstance in that his role completely changed). McKie's career PPG is 14.5 so far and CJ's is 12.7. I have no clue where they fall on Wake's list other than not in the top 12.

I'd just like to point out that at the end of the game it took both Rusty and Randolph to remind Coach to take out Chase and sub in Rountree after the offensive foul by Travis.

He came in very late and then obviously made the steal that won the game.

Also, why do we insist on not fouling down by 3?

I recall losing to NC State fouling up three - made first FT, missed second, and State scored of the rebound. Lost in OT I think. Either Staak or early Odom years.

Not as bad as losing the 1994 ACC semi-finals against Carolina when Dante fucking Calabria tipped one in off his ass to send it to OT. We'd been up by three and fouled.

I doubt that 12.7 PPG is in the top 40.

I suspect that is correct, but if you want to compare like to like then you would pull out the 10 ppg from his freshmen year that is weighting that down quite a bit. Then he's up to 13.6. Figure he maintains 15.7 for the rest of this season, and you're up to 14 ppg.

Last edited:
Not as bad as losing the 1994 ACC semi-finals against Carolina when Dante fucking Calabria tipped one in off his ass to send it to OT. We'd been up by three and fouled.

THE BURNS!

After doing some internet research, it seems he didn't even have the one feature which I remembered so vividly.

THE BURNS!

After doing some internet research, it seems he didn't even have the one feature which I remembered so vividly.

And neither did Vidaurreta! I feel like I am being cheated out of my childhood here.

Tough stretch coming up for the Deacs, 5 of the next 7 on the road, the two home games are State and Duke. Finish 3-4 is an accomplishment.

I recall losing to NC State fouling up three - made first FT, missed second, and State scored of the rebound. Lost in OT I think. Either Staak or early Odom years.

I remember that as well. Didn't Rodney Monroe follow up the missed free throw to send it to OT?

I recall we were up 3 on NCSU in G-boro and didn't foul, and Kenny Del Negro made a 3 for OT, and I believe we lost. Then, the above case where we did foul, still got to OT and lost. So, in some close proximity, we tried both ways, and lost both ways.

Tough stretch coming up for the Deacs, 5 of the next 7 on the road, the two home games are State and Duke. Finish 3-4 is an accomplishment.

If we win three of the next seven, [Redacted] will almost assuredly be back.

Kenny Green left early after getting into a knife fight on campus.
Todd May got homesick and left.
Tom Hammonds was a recruiting battle we lost to a younger and more active coach on the recruiting trail. Tacy was well known for not putting much effort into recruiting.

None of that changes the fact that Tacy left the cupboard bare for Staak. But as we all know, you have little ability to look at this with any sort of objectivity.

Lots of things happened. You choose to emphasize the ones that support your constant criticism of Carl. The Wake Forest athletic department didn't put much effort into basketball recruiting. What was Tacy's budget? How many assistants did he have? And what was Tacy's salary? I'd be surprised if he was making more than $60K per year. The guy who was the Sports Editor of the Winston-Salem Journal & Sentinel for three years....who was following the program closely....said himself that "I witnessed Coach Tacy being undermined by members of the athletic department and a number of prominent Deacon Club members." And Bob Staak had as much talent when Tacy left (with Cline, Watson, Bogues, etc.) as Tacy had he he arrived in 1972. If the entire WF family had not spent two years stabbing Tacy in the back, after he had rebuilt the program from nothing to two Elite Eights and a #3 national ranking....without a place to play the entire time....a lot of things might have been different.

I should know, but what specifically did the AD and DC members do to Tacy?

Let's not forget:

"Charlie Thomas (1987-88): Big-time transfer from Wake Forest was one of the more powerful Lobos inside. Had 1,000-plus points and 500-plus rebounds."

IIRC, he eventually flunked out, but I think was injured part way into Staak's first season.

FWIW Mark Cline was a big time recruit, but never became the 'star' player we needed.

So just looking at the core actually on the team when Staak showed up (i.e. Kenny Green was already gone).

Bogues
Cline
Thomas
Watson

Certainly some talent left there.

Back