• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Boston College Thread

BC will try to do what they did last year. Use large offensive linemen and Dillon to smack us right in the damn mouth...to set up the play action pass.

We did not tackle well.

If their goof WR had not muffed a punt inside the 10, they would have beaten the Deacs even worse.

Brown sucks, but he can run. Dillon. We need to be practicing open field tackling right now.

And play pissed, they kicked our ass last year by punching us in the mouth running it. Don’t let that shit happen again.

We need this game, to make things real interesting.

Utah State is the best team we’ve played. We were slightly better than they were. The only reason it feels “lucky” is because the Hinton catch was on 4th down. But Newman has been throwing dimes regularly and our receivers are a big strength. It wasn’t lucky, we were better.

Based on what we know so far, I’d take Utah State over BC or VT on a neutral field. I expect us to beat BC by 14-21 points. I agree Rice and Elon don’t tell us a whole lot, but we’ve won games we should win and haven’t shit the bed like BC did against a Kansas team that put up 7 against Coastal Carolina. Any given Saturday, and this is Wake Forest. I absolutely am not saying we’re not capable of losing this game by 20. But at this point I think we’re a lot better team than BC.

I don’t mean lucky in the sense that we didn’t deserve to win. Just saying that we were very fortunate to win that game. It could have gone either way.

50c4b5e6fb830c2ea04c1961ce18db1c.jpg

Win probability chart for the game.
Highlighting the lowest point (95.1% chance of loss).

That win probability graphic on espn is always fascinating to track. It’s all over the place most games and sometimes I’m curious how it’s formulated.

Wake Forest has a chance to set the school record for most consecutive wins. This is the fifth time that WF has won 6 games in a row. WF's last 6 win streaks both started in 2007 - where they went 12-2 over a 14 game period (won 6 games, lost 2, won 6 more games). Coincidentally, the 2008 season (where the last 6 game streak ended) was also the last time WF was ranked in the AP Poll.

Last edited:
I think we are a better team than we were opening night. The defense seems to be coming into their own and the offense is still quite explosive.

Wake BC line has shot up to Wake -6.5

We could not stop the run last year. We pulled the safeties up to make the tackle on every handoff as our front seven was useless. Then they'd throw an easy pass to a wide open WR.

We still could have won the game, but our defense got completely worked.

We could not stop the run last year. We pulled the safeties up to make the tackle on every handoff as our front seven was useless. Then they'd throw an easy pass to a wide open WR.

We still could have won the game, but our defense got completely worked.

Getting Tyler Williams playing again will help in that respect. Kamara may have a busy day. He appears to be the best run stopper.

I think we are a better team than we were opening night. The defense seems to be coming into their own and the offense is still quite explosive.

Wake BC line has shot up to Wake -6.5

Yep.
Our offense continues to perform at a high level and teams haven’t figured out how to cover both of our big WRs. Every game, either Sage or Scotty or both have huge games. Now Carney is back and hopefully Hinton will be too. And Walker keeps getting better. Nightmares for opposing DCs.
Meanwhile, our defense has jelled. Hemphill’s new system is working and the team is comfortable with it. Our D line, formerly a weakness, is now a strength and is getting pressures and sacks that we weren’t getting before. 6 sacks vs UNC! Our 2 deep on the D line now enables us to rotate players without losing performance. Getting Tyler Williams back will only help. And the whole D line will be back next year.
We will beat BC if our D line can effectively handle BC’s O line and Dillon. I’m betting we do.

But have the Deacs played any real competition at the lineman positions yet? BC is always very capable in the trenches, always.

But have the Deacs played any real competition at the lineman positions yet? BC is always very capable in the trenches, always.

I thought UNC's O-line was thought to be their strength coming into the season.

Yep.
Our offense continues to perform at a high level and teams haven’t figured out how to cover both of our big WRs. Every game, either Sage or Scotty or both have huge games. Now Carney is back and hopefully Hinton will be too. And Walker keeps getting better. Nightmares for opposing DCs.
Meanwhile, our defense has jelled. Hemphill’s new system is working and the team is comfortable with it. Our D line, formerly a weakness, is now a strength and is getting pressures and sacks that we weren’t getting before. 6 sacks vs UNC! Our 2 deep on the D line now enables us to rotate players without losing performance. Getting Tyler Williams back will only help. And the whole D line will be back next year.
We will beat BC if our D line can effectively handle BC’s O line and Dillon. I’m betting we do.

Hopefully, the offense continues to play very well and we get a couple of stops early. We might be able to force them to abandon the run. We should win going away if that happens.

Normally I think everyone would completely agree with you about BC's linemen, but unless they have been missing some D linemen the last few weeks to injury it is clear this is not your Dad's BC D-line. Their D is 14th out of 16 for both the run and pass giving up 180 yds/game and 259/game, respectively with ONLY 3 sacks over 4 games. And those stats do not include going against the best offense they will see up to this point. Sorry but Kansas may have looked like Clemson vs. BC it hasn't been the case against everyone else the Jayhawks have played.

I predict our offense runs roughshod over BC D and fully expect Adazio to bring a lot of blitzes as he knows pressure will be key and getting to Newman will be the only way they can slow us down. I think Ruggiero and gang will have a game plan and Jamie is able to handle it and we have a number of big plays and put up some gawdy stats.

Again maybe they have some beast D linemen we don't know about who have been out to injury, but 3 sacks over 4 games is abysmal (2 of which were their first game against Hokies so 1 over last 3 games including vs. Richmond and Rutgers).

I bet we do that delayed QB spy LB blitz against Brown that really messed up Howell for the majority of the game (including the final drive). Rush 4 and spy/delay blitz Strnad. Brown with at least 2 turnovers.

Seems like a classic letdown game. 4-0 and ranked v a team expected to be pretty good this year (I thought) that has disappointed, on the road. Hopefully Clawson keeps the team focused on the game and not the rankings.

Concerned in regards to Jamie Newman's health going into practice this week. He took an illegal shot to the knee against Elon, I think a play or two before that crazy 1 yard scramble after getting drilled by the linebacker on a delayed blitz. Worried he will be at minimum, stiff for most of the week. I wouldn't be shocked if he were a late scratch. Surprised, yes, but not shocked.

Seems like a classic letdown game. 4-0 and ranked v a team expected to be pretty good this year (I thought) that has disappointed, on the road. Hopefully Clawson keeps the team focused on the game and not the rankings.

Pretty sure we’ll be focused.
In almost every player interview from Les and Conor, our players mention focus. It’s obvious a priority this season and it’s working. Stay focused on the upcoming game, stay focused on your responsibilities.

Member last year when BC beat us and got ranked then they went to Purdue and got smoked ?

Concerned in regards to Jamie Newman's health going into practice this week. He took an illegal shot to the knee against Elon, I think a play or two before that crazy 1 yard scramble after getting drilled by the linebacker on a delayed blitz. Worried he will be at minimum, stiff for most of the week. I wouldn't be shocked if he were a late scratch. Surprised, yes, but not shocked.

Would like to hear more about this...Conor, Les? I saw him a little wobbly after that hit but he seemed fine,.

Back