• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Clemson Game Thread

This is dead-on. People can gush about Devin's rebounding, or Rountree's length, or CMM's build all they want, but the object of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and not one of our freshmen has shown the ability to score consistently. Our freshmen have played a combined 103 games so far, yet they have only 15 double-digit scoring efforts: 4 from Devin, 4 from CMM, 1 from Moto, 3 from Cav, 2 from Jones, 1 from Rountree, and 0 from Washington, and 3 of those came against Radford. Only twice have any of them broken 15 points, both courtesy of CMM. Yeah, they have some skills, and might be a decent complement to an Adam Morrison or JJ Redick-like player who will shoot 30 times a game and fill it up. But barring drastic improvement or one of the incoming recruits being Trey Burke in disguise, we're going to have a UVA-caliber offense next year.

Well, it's right on to some extent. We only have two players who can consistently score. Of course, it fails to mention that they are both players that [Redacted] inherited so in two full recruiting years [Redacted] has not recruited a single player that can consistently contribute offensively (at this point anyway). That's [Redacted]'s fault. [Redacted]'s collegiate coaching chops are also up for debate given the only place he had honest to God success was a very different place from virtually every other D1 program.

What seems weird is CMM came out in his first game like he had no fear. Now he has disappeared and I could be wrong but the effort seemed lacking.

Everything changed with the Shelton Mitchell commitment. [Redacted] walks around the locker room telling anyone that will listen that Shelton is poised to steal the starting job away from CMM as soon as he steps on campus.

Hard to understand how awesome Clemson's defense was. Did they not run the D we told them to run?

This should never happen.

Well, it's right on to some extent. We only have two players who can consistently score. Of course, it fails to mention that they are both players that [Redacted] inherited so in two full recruiting years [Redacted] has not recruited a single player that can consistently contribute offensively (at this point anyway). That's [Redacted]'s fault. [Redacted]'s collegiate coaching chops are also up for debate given the only place he had honest to God success was a very different place from virtually every other D1 program.

It's interesting. Some of the Clemson rubes want Brownell gone. I think Brownell might be the best actual coach Clemson has ever had, he just doesn't have a Shaka Smart on staff to bring in the recruits. We are still losing out to Wake in recruiting, even with Buzzdick piloting the S.S. Wake into into a rocky harbor.....

Maybe you guys can snap Brownell up if he for some reason he gets cut. Dude is superb Xs and Os and really emphasizes defense.....maybe he could make people remember Wake bball prestige and get some good players in.....I remember really recruiting Mckie hard. He's a great kid and player now, but I wonder if someone like Brownell could have developed him even more.....okay, BKF style rambling over.

Last edited:
This is dead-on. People can gush about Devin's rebounding, or Rountree's length, or CMM's build all they want, but the object of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and not one of our freshmen has shown the ability to score consistently. Our freshmen have played a combined 103 games so far, yet they have only 15 double-digit scoring efforts: 4 from Devin, 4 from CMM, 1 from Moto, 3 from Cav, 2 from Jones, 1 from Rountree, and 0 from Washington, and 3 of those came against Radford. Only twice have any of them broken 15 points, both courtesy of CMM. Yeah, they have some skills, and might be a decent complement to an Adam Morrison or JJ Redick-like player who will shoot 30 times a game and fill it up. But barring drastic improvement or one of the incoming recruits being Trey Burke in disguise, we're going to have a UVA-caliber offense next year.

Very much agreed.

The fact of the matter is we have some great kids who work and try really hard, but are just nowhere near as talented as ACC players should be. It was never more evident to me than Saturday, when I went from watching the State/Duke game to the Wake/BC game...it was like watching two different sports.

There full court pick-up surprised us for sure in the 1st half.

Everything changed with the Shelton Mitchell commitment. [Redacted] walks around the locker room telling anyone that will listen that Shelton is poised to steal the starting job away from CMM as soon as he steps on campus.

Seriously?

Seriously?

LOL. The fact that you've gotta ask is telling huh? I was just playing off the story of Bzz walking around and pimping CMM as the "starter in waiting" right in front of TC and Fields after CMM committed to Wake, leading to a transfer by both players.

The fact of the matter is we have some great kids who work and try really hard, but are just nowhere near as talented as ACC players should be. It was never more evident to me than Saturday, when I went from watching the State/Duke game to the Wake/BC game...it was like watching two different sports.
Could not agree more. I said the same thing to my father when I was talking to him the other day. I generally hate NCSU/Duke but that game was so much more entertaining and featured actually fundamental basketball when compared to the BC/Wake game.

Pretty sure that's a joke, but one of the players did tweet that CMM was moving to SG when the verbal came in.

Pathetic stat to build on this discussion. Travis and CJ have played 33% of the minutes total in our 4 ACC games. They've scored 58% of the points.

Pathetic stat to build on this discussion. Travis and CJ have played 33% of the minutes total in our 4 ACC games. They've scored 58% of the points.

We are doomed next year when CJ leaves. If Travis goes, we'll be worse than Bz's first season.

Pretty sure that's a joke, but one of the players did tweet that CMM was moving to SG when the verbal came in.

True. I believe that was in reference to CMM's scoring ability and the void CJ's absence will create needing to be filled.

Yeah. It wasn't a shot at him. It was the reality of bringing an elite HS PG (which CMM was not) and that we don't have anybody (even CMM) who can fill CJ's shoes.

And if you look at the stats above Chennault started out the ACC schedule last year better than CMM is doing this year.

so then who is our PG since Shelton won't be here until 2014? M. Jones?

It's interesting. Some of the Clemson rubes want Brownell gone. I think Brownell might be the best actual coach Clemson has ever had, he just doesn't have a Shaka Smart on staff to bring in the recruits. We are still losing out to Wake in recruiting, even with Buzzdick piloting the S.S. Wake into into a rocky harbor.....

Maybe you guys can snap Brownell up if he for some reason he gets cut. Dude is superb Xs and Os and really emphasizes defense.....maybe he could make people remember Wake bball prestige and get some good players in.....I remember really recruiting Mckie hard. He's a great kid and player now, but I wonder if someone like Brownell could have developed him even more.....okay, BKF style rambling over.

My opinion of Purnell is forever tarnished by him refusing to change his defense against us in 2010. Could have won at Wake and kept us out of the tournament (and maybe have gotten a better seed for Clemson) if he hadn't run the full court press (a dream for Ish).

CMM needs to be more aggressive, needs to limit turnovers, needs to get better. These are all true. But lets not write him off. All CJ had to do his freshmen year was spot up in the corner and hit jump shots. CMM can and will get better. Whether or not he can fill the void left by CJ as soon as next year is certainly a question. But he has comparable talent, just needs to harness it.

I hope Miles Overton can shoot the lights out. We are gonna need shooters.

I noticed Rusty kind of laughing on the bench when Cav finally got one to go down. Seemed a bit weird under the circumstances. Chill looked like he could barely stand to watch it, which made more sense to me.

I hope Miles Overton can shoot the lights out. We are gonna need shooters.

According to ESPN, Miles Overton is ranked 21 spots below where Chase Fischer was ranked in the positional rankings.

Overton is ranked 43 spots below where Gark Clark was ranked in the positional rankings.

Back