• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Clemson Game Thread

So I have to know, if I run into Bzzzz in a movie theatre, where he's alone, do I throw all my popcorn at him? kernel by kernel? or popcorn and a drink?

inquiring minds must know

If you could get film of yourself doing either of these, I bet you'd never have to pay for a beer at a bar in Winston ever again...

The box score is wacky, at least for us. We beat them in rebounds and crushed them in offensive boards. What? We also took more foul shots and hit a higher percentage. Indeed, we had 12 more field goal attempts. Tell me you saw that coming. The difference really was missing nearly every shot we took. Barely half their field goal percentage. So, a smart, reasonably athletic team has no trouble defending us. That's my conclusion. The guys taking shots need to get better at shooting. It's not like they weren't open. Or we need a new offensive plan.

The box score is wacky, at least for us. We beat them in rebounds and crushed them in offensive boards. What? We also took more foul shots and hit a higher percentage. Indeed, we had 12 more field goal attempts. Tell me you saw that coming. The difference really was missing nearly every shot we took. Barely half their field goal percentage. So, a smart, reasonably athletic team has no trouble defending us. That's my conclusion. The guys taking shots need to get better at shooting. It's not like they weren't open. Or we need a new offensive plan.

Very interesting stuff.

I would be pretty interested in seeing how many of the shots we missed were either layups or wide open shots. It's not like we took a lot of low percentage shots.

The problem is that we got so many of our shots blocked because we are so damn soft. It's baffling how we continue to get so many soft players while Clemson gets these hard-nosed shot blockers...isn't it?

We just made the #7 and #1 plays of the day on SportsCenter. Great.

2j0kxme.jpg

Dead on. #1 is particularly damning and completely supported by the stats. In 4 ACC games, CJ and Travis have 18.0 and 16.5 ppg.

The next highest is CMM with 5.5 pts on 10-36 fg (.276). He had 8 ast/7 to. This is not what we need from the guy who was supposed to be the star of this class. Just for fun, here are Tony Chennault's stats last year after 4 ACC games (VT, @MD, State, @Duke): 8.5 pts on 14-35 fg (.400) with 10 ast/9 to. Not good, but it's pretty clear so far that CMM isn't the improvement over Chennault that he was supposed to be.

Moto and Thomas have some potential, but both are away away from being consistent on offense. Devin's 9.3 reb are great, particularly when starting the transition game, but he's got 16 turnovers in 4 games.

Jones has been a nice surprise, but will a Jones-CMM backcourt generate the offense we need next year?

I could only stand to watch about half the game, but I can remember at least three times when Cav went up within three feet of the rim and missed terribly.

What he meant by "bad shot", was not a poor shot, but rather poor shot selection. We had plenty of open looks tonight, and we bricked all of them. We shot about as poorly as we could have done. Awful. Some of that is coaching, and some of that is having an absolutely awful night. Also, I think Bz sat Travis for far too long -- didn't he only end the game with three fouls??? He sat him for more than ten minutes in the second half, I think,

2. The Future of Wake Basketball:
There has been much discussion about the direction of Wake’s program and the future of Jeff [Redacted] as the coach. You can argue the future is bright because the Deacs are playing so many young kids and over the the next couple of years they will really improve. Personally, I am not so sure of that. Of course, those young kids will improve as they get more experience, but I think some of them are simply very borderline ACC talents.
Also, the Deacs’ one true playmaking talent is Harris, and he is a senior. Without him, I don’t think Wake would win many, if any, ACC games. I think [Redacted] is a good x-and-o coach, but he needs better players.
The Deacs got a very good verbal commit in Shelton Mitchell for the class of 2014. That is a good start, but more recruits like that are needed. If the young guys improve and some new young talent is added, perhaps Wake will be a factor in the ACC in the near future. We shall see.

Ronnie W. Loves this article. He is sending it out to the big money people now. First it says wake ran a pretty good offense. Second it says bzz is a good x and I'd coach. How that myth was started _cough_bzz_cough I don't know and third it says wake just needs more talent and Mitchell is on the way. More fuel for ronnies "see I'm smarter than you" regional tour.

Ronnie W. Loves this article. He is sending it out to the big money people now. First it says wake ran a pretty good offense. Second it says bzz is a good x and I'd coach. How that myth was started _cough_bzz_cough I don't know and third it says wake just needs more talent and Mitchell is on the way. More fuel for ronnies "see I'm smarter than you" regional tour.

Very interesting stuff.

I would be pretty interested in seeing how many of the shots we missed were either layups or wide open shots. It's not like we took a lot of low percentage shots.

The problem is that we got so many of our shots blocked because we are so damn soft. It's baffling how we continue to get so many soft players while Clemson gets these hard-nosed shot blockers...isn't it?

We did not have nearly the number of wide open shots or lay-ups as Clemson did. Hence, they shot a much better %. Sure, Clemson left Cavanaugh open numerous times, but I don't call those opportunities high quality open shots. And yeah, we missed lay-ups, but the vast majority of those were contested - hell, many were blocked. You are in denial if you think last night's loss was due to just a plain, bad shooting night.

Your last paragraph gets it right. We are soft. Thomas is our only player with the promise of being a legit ACC 4/5 down the road. And he was in foul trouble last night. Therefore we had to play Cavanaugh and Washington more than we otherwise would. And next year we have 2 more wings and no bigs coming in. So to answer your question, in 3 recruiting classes, Buzzdick has recruited only 1 kid with any hope of becoming a legit big. That ain't gonna get it done. And the other thing is Brownell instills a defensive ethos in his players. They play the packline man and play it well. One consistent aspect of Buzzdick's coaching both here and at Colorado has been that he permits opponents to shoot a very high percentage against his teams. He just plain doesn't instill a defensive ethos and toughness in his players. But on a positive note, we're not 12th in the ACC in FG% D this year. We're 11th - BC has been a bit worse than us this year.

2. The Future of Wake Basketball:
There has been much discussion about the direction of Wake’s program and the future of Jeff [Redacted] as the coach. You can argue the future is bright because the Deacs are playing so many young kids and over the the next couple of years they will really improve. Personally, I am not so sure of that. Of course, those young kids will improve as they get more experience, but I think some of them are simply very borderline ACC talents.

This is dead-on. People can gush about Devin's rebounding, or Rountree's length, or CMM's build all they want, but the object of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and not one of our freshmen has shown the ability to score consistently. Our freshmen have played a combined 103 games so far, yet they have only 15 double-digit scoring efforts: 4 from Devin, 4 from CMM, 1 from Moto, 3 from Cav, 2 from Jones, 1 from Rountree, and 0 from Washington, and 3 of those came against Radford. Only twice have any of them broken 15 points, both courtesy of CMM. Yeah, they have some skills, and might be a decent complement to an Adam Morrison or JJ Redick-like player who will shoot 30 times a game and fill it up. But barring drastic improvement or one of the incoming recruits being Trey Burke in disguise, we're going to have a UVA-caliber offense next year.

I don't know why CMM has been so passive or afraid to take the ball and drive down the lane. He's almost invisible on the court.

Devin is going to be a man.

What seems weird is CMM came out in his first game like he had no fear. Now he has disappeared and I could be wrong but the effort seemed lacking. Madison on the other hand kept bringing it even after his shots were ending up in the third row. Hope it's just a case of freshman fatigue for CMM because I love his game--when he brings it.

What is so hard to figure out? CMM has been infected by the Bz disease.

Sorry kid. You're just another casualty of unwiped ass.

Back