• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - Clemson Game Thread

forgot him....I'm not sure if Surfer Boy Tim Stare was form a JUCO or a second level school.

He did make a Sweet Sixteen and win games in multiple other NCAA Tourneys. The Sweet 16 team took the #1 team in the country to last possessions.

He was a great man, just not quite the basketball coach we want to see him as.

In 6 seasons he had 4 NCAA appearances, never losing in the first round, and 1 Sweet 16. Only missed the post-season one year. It's not worth debating as we will unfortunately never know, but I hear people all the time talk about how Coach X started with three losing seasons and now look, etc. I think Skip was very successful in his first years at Wake, and I think he would have fine-tuned us into an even more successful program. Who knows...I think he was a pretty solid, overall college basketball coach.

The 2009 team was made for Skip. I have no doubt that he would have made a run in the tournament.

I like Carl Tacy. I just wish bkf's hero worship (which has been shown to be wishful thinking) wasn't injected into every thread.

Carl certainly did get a few diamonds in the rough. But he also got alot of highly recruited players also. And it was much easier back then to get diamonds in the rough.

+1. I was at Mother So Dear during Gentleman Carl's last few seasons.

I'll never forget that he "retired" Ray Meyer of DePaul during our deep tourney run! Good times!:thumbsup:

The 2009 team was made for Skip. I have no doubt that he would have made a run in the tournament.

I felt that team was as talented as any in the country. With a solid coach like Prosser, they could've gone to the Final Four. I know some think 2005 was our most talented team, but I lean towards 2009.

Last edited:
I felt that team was as talented as any in the country. With a solid coach like Prosser, they could've gone to the Final Four. I know some think 2005 was our most talented team, but I lean towards 2009.

2009 was hands down more talented than 2005.

Certainly one of Skip's successes was his turning the Joel into a venue in which other teams didn't look forward to playing. The atmosphere was electric! He tremendously strengthened the relationship between students and athletes and he represented our university like no other. He emphasized education and graduated his players. Further, his teams won a lot, achieved high rankings, and had some great players. Skip didn't win a national championship, but he was a fine, fine coach and perhaps an even better man.

+1M Man do I miss Skip

One of the best coaches ever? Please tell me what Wake Forest Basketball actually accomplished under Skip? Being ranked number 1 is nothing if you fold in late February and March. ACC Tourney wins? NCAA Tourney Wins? He is not even in Wake Forest top three basketball coaches. He was a great guy, his teams were fun to watch in December, January and early February - but one of the best coached ever, I guess if the top five at Wake counts as one of the best coaches ever I see your point.

None of this should be taken as a defense of the current situation, it is not. We need to get this thing turned around and if I got to make the call we would be changing coaches. That said, it is not my call but just because I am upset I will not look back on better times (Skip's years) and see them as great they were not. We did not win anything that counts during that period.

He without question is one of our best coaches ever. I did not say is absolutely our best coach but one of. Don't know how people can't see he was one our best.

That 2009 team was so much fun to watch through January. I lean towards it being the most talented team we have had since the 90's.

Scary good. Timmy was still developing and a work in progress at that point, though.

he averaged nearly a double double his as a freshman so "work in progress" was relative for his eventual progression. the league was tough then top to bottom.

Back