• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - Clemson Game Thread

The team had talent. You could see that when they started the year 10-0 the year before before collapsing.

You need players to stay a year longer than NBA interest dictates. A player who stays four years because the NBA doesn't want them does no good. A player who stays four years when he'd be the first pick after 2 can give you the best run in program history.

It doesn't hurt to have guys like LaRue and Blucas as seniors. And yes LaRue eventually played in the NBA but he had to work his tail off after Wake to make it. You also can't ignore the fact that it was Duncan and Childress together that gave us the best shot at a Final 4. It a different time now but guys like Bogues and Childress that were very good by the end of their Junior seasons but the NBA was not beating down the door for them at that point.

Looking at the 95 team we had:

Childress - the senior that took his game to the NBA level
Duncan - having his real break out year as a soph
LaRue - solid role player
Peral - a good role player
Rutland - the frosh PG that was a decent backup
Braswell - another frosh but behind Rutland
Banks - another senior

We'll never know what 96 could have been if Rutland hadn't blown out his knee. For that matter it also helped kill 97. That plus the in ability to bring in strong enough players to surround Duncan with.

Idiotic - what do pre season rankings have to do with anything. That's your proof? So ignorant. Please tell me which team Wake has had since that exceeded the talent of Skip Brown, Frank Johnson, Jerry Schellenberger, Rod Griffin, Larry Harrison and LeRoy McDonald. Hasn't been one.

Did you catch Jerry eating at Hardee's or something?

I am not really following this argument but typing in red is going to be hard to beat.

Rod Griffin was from NC and wanted to play for Carolina, but Dean didn't offer him a scholarship.

BKF, Rod Griffin was recruited by a Wake Alum from Fairmont, NC in the early 70's. Rod worked for him while in h.s. The alum was very aware of Rod's basketball talents and alerted Carl Tacy who came to see him play and immediately offered a scholarship. Later when queried, Dean Smith was upset that he was not aware of Griffin but wished he had known. Tacy or the athletic dept. presented the alum with a framed plague thanking him for the recommendation. Ten years later in the early 80's I met Rod and the alum in Fairmont and heard the story firsthand...

It doesn't hurt to have guys like LaRue and Blucas as seniors. And yes LaRue eventually played in the NBA but he had to work his tail off after Wake to make it. You also can't ignore the fact that it was Duncan and Childress together that gave us the best shot at a Final 4. It a different time now but guys like Bogues and Childress that were very good by the end of their Junior seasons but the NBA was not beating down the door for them at that point.

Looking at the 95 team we had:

Childress - the senior that took his game to the NBA level
Duncan - having his real break out year as a soph
LaRue - solid role player
Peral - a good role player
Rutland - the frosh PG that was a decent backup
Braswell - another frosh but behind Rutland
Banks - another senior

We'll never know what 96 could have been if Rutland hadn't blown out his knee. For that matter it also helped kill 97. That plus the in ability to bring in strong enough players to surround Duncan with.

The fact that Odom could not recruit stud players to go along with Childress/Duncan or after Chill/Duncan kills me. Its like we just thought the recruits would flock to the Dash to play with these guys, yet they didn't.

Yes, you make endless excuses about Tacy that you don't provide to other coaches. We get it.

Pretty much every ACC gym back then was a barn. Reynolds, Carmichael, Cameron (before it was considered this hallowed place to play).

It was much easier to recruit under the radar type players back then. Plus Wake got its share of fairly sought after recruits. Recruiting was much more regional.

And nobody was on TV back then. There was an ACC game of the week and that was it. An occasional national TV game.

Thee was always a game on Wednesday or Thursday night during the week back in the mid-late 70's an into the 80's. I know because I watched Wake on many occasions back then.

BKF, FYI, Fairmont was/is tobacco country...In the sticks but only 20 mi. off I-95 near the SC state line. If you PM me, I can give the alums name...Look him up and call if you have doubts. BTW, the Dean Smith quote was in the newspaper @ the time...

It's almost impossible to find information on who was recruiting these players, however, I know that Larry Harrison was highly recruited. A well known 7 footer HS basketball star in Baltimore? We ended up offering Mo Davis a scholarship just to get Larry.

Also, I find it hard to believe that Frank Johnson, a high school star who had a brother playing in the NBA, didn't have major college scholarship offers.

That's just off the top of my head.

Evidence you can find about recruits at that time frame.

“There are always going to be transfers,” McCaffery said. “You know it, and I know it. Sometimes it’s nobody’s fault. Not the kid, not the school. It just didn’t work out. I was a transfer.”
Fran McCaffery, who played one season at Wake Forest, returns Tuesday as Iowa's coach.
McCaffery, Iowa’s first-year coach, returns to the start of his college basketball career Tuesday when the Hawkeyes meet Wake Forest in a 6 p.m. ACC/Big Ten Challenge game at Joel Coliseum in Winston-Salem, N.C.
McCaffery was a highly recruited point guard out of LaSalle High School in Philadelphia, Pa., with deft ballhandling skills that earned him the nickname “White Magic.” McCaffery signed with Wake Forest and lettered in 1977-78, averaging 4.5 points and playing in 28 games. Then he transferred to Pennsylvania after the season.
“Was it a God-awful choice?” Mc

The HS in Fairmont was 1A I believe. Unless someone gets the word out, Griffin obviously flew under the radar. Before I knew the story about Griffin's recruitment, I recall Tacy was elated that he had two studs in this incoming class. One of course was Griffin, the other Charlie Floyd. We all know how Griffin turned out, but Floyd never amounted to much.

With all due respect, you haven't said shit in that post. I think that, for some unknown reason, you just feel an obligation to degrade Coach Tacy for no other reason than because I support him so strongly. I know you are an intelligent person who has followed WF closely for a long time. Whether or not you want to say it on this board, you have to realize what a great job he did for Wake Forest.

Very strong factual rebuttal. LOL I am just trying to bring some objectivity into your hero worship.

Jerry Schellenberg was the runner-up for Mr. Basketball in Indiana. Find it hard to believe that he wasn't highly recruited.

Wasn't Charlie Floyd a Philadelphia HS star? Find it hard to believe he wasn't highly recruited.

In tales from the Wake Forest Hardwood, Frank Johnson talked about how his family wanted him to go to Auburn, who had offered him, and Tacy talked about how he told Frank that he was going to have to start recruit other guards if Frank didn't decide on Wake soon and Frank told him that he wasn't afraid of the competition.

Again, there isn't alot of info available, but the info available is inconsistent with your claim that none of these players were highly recruited.

The sophomore was already catching the eyes of college scouts and one of those schools was Wake Forest, from the Atlantic Coast Conference. The highlight of the highlights from the 1971 campaign came at Seymour, in the championship game of the regional against Seymour. Floyd Central trailed

Jerry was voted to the Indiana All Star team, and announced he had accepted a full ride to play college basketball for Wake Forest in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). Hinton says Schellenberg favored Wake Forest right from the beginning. “They started recruiting him when he was a sophomore, and he really liked them right from the beginning. Indiana came in late, but Jerry really loved Wake Forest.”

http://www.leaguelineup.com/information.asp?url=mscindiana&catid=305360

Wake got Jerry Schellenberg over an offer from Bob Knight and national power Indiana???????????

Last edited:
Do you think being recruited to play basketball at Auburn qualifies as being "highly recruited"? Auburn? We're not talking football here.

That's only school he specifically mentioned because his brother went there. What we do know is that he had a major scholarship offer.

The fact that he kept Tacy on the line also indicates that he had choices.

That's only school he specifically mentioned because his brother went there. What we do know is that he had a major scholarship offer.

The fact that he kept Tacy on the line also indicates that he had choices.

Surprised Frank Johnson was not recruited by U. Fl. or FSU since he was from Weirsdale not too far from Gainsville or Tallahassee...

Surprised Frank Johnson was not recruited by U. Fl. or FSU since he was from Weirsdale not too far from Gainsville or Tallahassee...

He almost assuredly was recruited by these schools.

can't believe i stuck in here this long. this thread has now become worse than the actual game itself. it's like the [Redacted] coaching on the road of message board threads.

Back