• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - Clemson Game Thread

Any chance we can get a title change on this thread?

There is nothing in that article (and it would be helpful if you would posts link in a way that you can go to them by clicking rather than having to retype the entire link) that says Schellenberg had an offer from Indiana. AS a matter of fact, it says that Indiana didn't even talk to him until "later, after he had already announced he was going to Wake Forest".

And look, I'm not saying that all these guys were nothing but walk-ons (and there are still five of those 9 that haven't been discussed)....but they were not your typical McDonald's A-As that the big programs were going after.

And speaking about hero worship, Carl Tacy never lost in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament with the best guard in the nation and two more All-ACC players in his starting lineup.

Copy and pasted the link just like I do all others. Regarding the rest, whatever you say. Wake was recruiting runners up for Mr Indiana and HS All-Americans that weren't highly recruited. Believe it if you need it.

It's the bkf fantasy thread, with Coach Carl Tacy leading the Bad News Bears to the World Series.

Everyone needs fantasies bkf. I guess if you're gonna have them, they should be as far away from reality as possible.

BTW, excellent use of bolded purple in that one post - made me tingle.

Last edited:
http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/36641329/

WINSTON-SAI-EM.N.C.--There- turn of All-American Skip Brown of Kingsport, the return of starters Rod Griffin and Jerry Schellenberg and a t r i o of highly touted f r e s h m e n provide a corps of hope for the Wake Forest Deacons for the 1975-76 season. Brown, a former all-stater and prep All-American at Dobyns-Bennett in Kingsport,

Another diamond in the rough unrecruited prep All-american.

Jerry Schellenberg was the runner-up for Mr. Basketball in Indiana. Find it hard to believe that he wasn't highly recruited.

Wasn't Charlie Floyd a Philadelphia HS star? Find it hard to believe he wasn't highly recruited.

Charlie Floyd was a Top 10-20 player coming out of HS. He projected to be an immediate star.

ETA: And the same thing was true of Anthony Teachey, Delaney Rudd, Danny Young & Muggsy Bogues from the 1984 Elite Eight team. Tell me who all the basketball powers were who were recruiting those guys?

Muggsy: Starting point guard on the #1 high school team in the nation. Recruited by Georgetown http://sports.jrank.org/pages/515/Bogues-Tyrone-Muggsy-College-Recruit.html

Danny Young: Scored 30 points in the Glaxo Smith Kline Holiday invitational championship game in 1978. Hard to believe he wasn't recruited heavily after that game (if not before) as that tournament routinely has a phenomenal collection of talent.

Delaney Rudd: played in the NC East - West all star game. Was part of a top 20 recruiting class.

BKF has not given a legitimate answer of why it was bad for Richard Sherman to turn of some fans once versus Bob Knight being obnoxious, crude and often profane to the public press on a consistent basis over decades. Knight turned off generations of potential Hoosier fans by his boorish antics.

RE Muggsy: It was either legendary recruiting guru Howard Garfinkel or Sonny Vaccaro who said Muggsy was the most impactful HS player of his era other than Patrick Ewing.

bkf has detonated every fucking wake bb thread on this board

That's because assholes keep responding to him. He's a clueless and traitorous old dumbass that hides his thinly veiled racism towards young urban athletes behind his love for "the good ol' days."

People keep responding to him with logic and well-reasoned arguments as if it is going to change his mind. He revels in the attention and his role as a contrarian. Until his need for attention stops getting fed, he isn't going to go away.

No one thinks that you fucking geriatric moron. He was one of our best coaches ever and to compare him to possibly the worst coach to ever coach here is a fucking slap in the face.

One of the best coaches ever? Please tell me what Wake Forest Basketball actually accomplished under Skip? Being ranked number 1 is nothing if you fold in late February and March. ACC Tourney wins? NCAA Tourney Wins? He is not even in Wake Forest top three basketball coaches. He was a great guy, his teams were fun to watch in December, January and early February - but one of the best coached ever, I guess if the top five at Wake counts as one of the best coaches ever I see your point.

None of this should be taken as a defense of the current situation, it is not. We need to get this thing turned around and if I got to make the call we would be changing coaches. That said, it is not my call but just because I am upset I will not look back on better times (Skip's years) and see them as great they were not. We did not win anything that counts during that period.

Certainly one of Skip's successes was his turning the Joel into a venue in which other teams didn't look forward to playing. The atmosphere was electric! He tremendously strengthened the relationship between students and athletes and he represented our university like no other. He emphasized education and graduated his players. Further, his teams won a lot, achieved high rankings, and had some great players. Skip didn't win a national championship, but he was a fine, fine coach and perhaps an even better man.

I'll ask you again - which team has Wake had since then that has had more talent or even as much talent? After collapsing down the stretch Wake played 4 postseason games - a loss to the worst seed (UVA) in the ACC Tournament, a good win over Arkansas, an ok win over Southern Illinois which had upset Arizona and a loss to Marquette. I get that it was the Elite Eight and as a Wake fan of course I'd never turn that down, but let's not act like Tacy did an incredible job with that team. They were super talented, they collapsed down the stretch and only got an invite to the NCAA because Clemson was on probation.

Tacy had two elite eight teams. Skip?

Certainly one of Skip's successes was his turning the Joel into a venue in which other teams didn't look forward to playing. The atmosphere was electric! He tremendously strengthened the relationship between students and athletes and he represented our university like no other. He emphasized education and graduated his players. Further, his teams won a lot, achieved high rankings, and had some great players. Skip didn't win a national championship, but he was a fine, fine coach and perhaps an even better man.

He was a great man, just not quite the basketball coach we want to see him as.

I like Carl Tacy. I just wish bkf's hero worship (which has been shown to be wishful thinking) wasn't injected into every thread.

Carl certainly did get a few diamonds in the rough. But he also got alot of highly recruited players also. And it was much easier back then to get diamonds in the rough.

Last edited:
Plus a couple of his first stars were JUCO transfers (Sam Jackson and Tony Beyers). We haven't done that much since.

Back