• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Schedules Maryland Home & Home 2030-31

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
Meh.

I get why they're doing this, but it seems so awkward given the major conference realignment that is likely to occur between now and then. Maryland/WFU could be a conference game by then, or Wake could be the defending SoCon champs. Who the hell knows.

Pretty sure that no ACC school has played at Maryland in football or basketball (other than the contractually mandated ACC/Big 10 challenge) after MD left the ACC (2013-4 was MD's last year in the ACC).

UVA plays a home and home with MD starting next year. Then, VT plays a 4 season home and home with Maryland. WF has recruited the DC/MD/VA hard (Morin, Jurgens, Griffis, Ellison, Nya, Nick Anderson, Coby Davis, Dez Williams, Kendron Wayman, Devonte Gordon, Luke Pettitbon), and there is a strong alum base. So, playing MD makes sense. A LOT better than playing Army.

Last edited:
I’ll be really old by then

same with me. And Clawson.

Here are WF's future P5+ND opponents over the next 10 years. Currently one such game per year except for next year:

2022:
09/10 - at Vanderbilt

2023:
09/09 - Vanderbilt
10/28 - at Notre Dame

2024:
09/14 - Ole Miss

2025:
09/13 - at Ole Miss

2026:
09/12 - at Purdue

2027:
TBA - Notre Dame

2028:
09/09 - Purdue

2029:
TBD - at Notre Dame

2030:
9/7 - Maryland

2031:
9/6 - at Maryland

IIRC, the ACC requires each school to schedule at least one Power V team as part of its OOC schedule. Playing Vandy is about as close to the non-compliance line as you can get other than playing Kansas.

Maryland had a winning season last year at 7-6. Their last previous winning season was 2014, at 7-6. This is another bottom feeder program on our schedule.

dammit I posted like a year or so ago I was cool playing and P5 schools other than Vandy, Rutgers, and Maryland and here we are.

Our home football schedule is abominable. Between the new ACC scheduling system and this series with Maryland there is almost nothing interesting about our opponents.

2025 is a banner year when we get Clemson and UNC-CH at home, along with the likes of WCU and Army, again.

2026 might be the worst home schedule ever for a P5 team: Liberty, NIU, BC, Duke, UVA, Va Tech

Our home football schedule is abominable. Between the new ACC scheduling system and this series with Maryland there is almost nothing interesting about our opponents.

2025 is a banner year when we get Clemson and UNC-CH at home, along with the likes of WCU and Army, again.

2026 might be the worst home schedule ever for a P5 team: Liberty, NIU, BC, Duke, UVA, Va Tech

WF needs to figure out if it's going to continue to schedule to ensure even its mediocre teams qualify for bowls, or whether it wants to showcase a program that is moving from "good to great". Understand the argument from both sides, but playing a big-time early season OOC game really provides a lot of juice. Now that Clemson isn't on the schedule every year, it might be time to play a high profile OOC game during a Clemson off-year. Let's play in one of those kick-off classic games. Can't do any worse than Miami has over the past decade.

I seriously doubt Wake has turned down a kickoff classic. If Wake gets a chance to play, Clawson and Currie will jump at it.

I seriously doubt Wake has turned down a kickoff classic. If Wake gets a chance to play, Clawson and Currie will jump at it.

Let's not wait for it to happen. Let's do it. UGA v. WF in Charlotte to kickoff the 2026 season. Biff hosts.

Let's not wait for it to happen. Let's do it. UGA v. WF in Charlotte to kickoff the 2026 season. Biff hosts.

Seems relevant.

Deacs will do its part to build its brand against VMI.

VMI hasn't played a Power V conference team since 2013: 49-0 loss to UVA.

VMI last 5 games against FBS schools:

2021: Kent State 60 VMI 10
2019: Marshall 56 VMI 17; Army 47 VMI 6
2018: Toledo 66 VMI 3
2017: AF 62 VMI 0

Yikes.

Fuck Maryland . Why is any ACC team scheduling them ? I know they are a P5 team that is a win most years , but why are we helping them in any way in any sport. When you leave the ACC, you leave the ACC. Fuck them.

2030 and 2031 will be Maryland's 17th and 18th seasons in the Big Ten.

To bad we have to wait until 2025 for that banner year.

Back