• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Schedules Maryland Home & Home 2030-31

2030 and 2031 will be Maryland's 17th and 18th seasons in the Big Ten.

This. People barely care today that Maryland used to be in the ACC - they sure as hell won't care in 2030. Personally I'm all for scheduling a Big Ten team that's consistently overrated, has a fanbase that's fun to disappoint, provides Wake with a potentially solid win on the resume, and doesn't seem to be particularly likely to get a lot better over the next few years based on the pecking order they're subject to. Seems like a good choice to me. Much better than playing Army...

It's definitely better than playing Army or Navy, but mostly because we play those teams seemingly every single year for decades. I don't really see Maryland as a consistently overrated football team either. They suck and everybody knows it.

the comparison to Army/Navy isn't really valid unless WF is going to play multiple P5 teams in a season; as stated earlier, WF is required to play one P5 (or ND) game per year. Maryland is, as of now, that one P5 game for those seasons. So we are playing Maryland instead of an SEC/Big XII/Other B1G team

This is the same as playing Purdue or Indiana. That’s fine. I hope we add G5 opponents in good destinations.

can anyone look at the landscape of college sports today and say Maryland made a bad move in the long run?

The Washington Post just penned an article saying that MD traded financial security for relevancy and an enthusiasm drain:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/23/maryland-big-ten-media-rights/

Maryland is planted in Big Ten territory, which once meant only cornfields but soon will include palm trees. That means financial security that Anderson (the MD AD when the move to the Big 10 was made) couldn’t have imagined not only when he was cutting all those sports, but even when he helped usher the school into its new league.

But in securing its financial future, Maryland may also find it hard to remain relevant. The books can be balanced, and that’s important. The scoreboard can’t. That’s important, too.

Almost a decade after leaving the ACC, MD has no Big 10 rivals, and no one cares even when elite Big 10 teams visit. When Maryland played in the ACC, playing Duke, UNC, UVA, even WF mattered. Consistently the toughest ticket of any ACC venue other the Cameron was Cole Field House. Now you can find tickets for any home MD game in either basketball or football.

FWIW, MD's offense is loaded this year. They have 4+ future NFL players on that side of the ball. They will score points.

yeah but winning is necessary condition of relevance in most any sport anywhere

Was surprised to find out today that that MD has a game at Charlotte this year, which only seats 15K. Was trying to think of the last few times Wake played at a stadium that small or relatively close to it: maybe Clawson's 1st game vs. LA-Monroe, early Grobe vs. Northern Illinois, others? Going back to the 80's, I do recall our going to Richmond (fun early fall day; good weather/tailgate and lots of Wake fans in attendance; IIRC Michael Ramseur had a big game), and pretty sure we went to W&M for Jay Venuto's senior year.

Was surprised to find out today that that MD has a game at Charlotte this year, which only seats 15K. Was trying to think of the last few times Wake played at a stadium that small or relatively close to it: maybe Clawson's 1st game vs. LA-Monroe, early Grobe vs. Northern Illinois, others? Going back to the 80's, I do recall our going to Richmond (fun early fall day; good weather/tailgate and lots of Wake fans in attendance; IIRC Michael Ramseur had a big game), and pretty sure we went to W&M for Jay Venuto's senior year.

WF played at Villanova in the mid to late 80s. Pretty campus, but there are many bigger HS stadia. Currently, Villanova's stadium seats 12K. Pretty sure it was even smaller 30+ years ago.

WF RB Mark Young literally destroyed a Villanova LB on a swing pass. Young caught the ball in open space and just exploded into the Villanova defender and rumbled for a big gain. The Wildcat did not regain consciousness on the field. To this day, it was the hardest hit that I've ever witnessed by an offensive player on a defensive player. In the current day and age of concussion awareness, the Villanova LB would not have played football again for the rest of the year.

WF was supposed to play at ODU to open the 2020 season until COVID ruined everything. ODU only seats 19K.

Ticket stub (remember those?) from the WF at Villanova game:

s-l500.jpg

FWIW, WF also played at Michigan that year in front of a 100K+.

Last edited:

Both Northern Illinois and LA-Monroe's stadiums are close to the size of Groves. Villanova and W&M are probably the smallest stadiums we have played in during the modern era.

WF played at Villanova in the mid to late 80s. Pretty campus, but there are many bigger HS stadia. Currently, Villanova's stadium seats 12K. Pretty sure it was even smaller 30+ years ago.

WF RB Mark Young literally destroyed a Villanova LB on a swing pass. Young caught the ball in open space and just exploded into the Villanova defender and rumbled for a big gain. The Wildcat did not regain consciousness on the field. To this day, it was the hardest hit that I've ever witnessed by an offensive player on a defensive player. In the current day and age of concussion awareness, the Villanova LB would not have played football again for the rest of the year.

WF was supposed to play at ODU to open the 2020 season until COVID ruined everything. ODU only seats 19K.

Ticket stub (remember those?) from the WF at Villanova game:

s-l500.jpg

FWIW, WF also played at Michigan that year in front of a 100K+.

You won’t see that on Louisville’s message board.

The world moves on I guess. And in Clawson we trust.

But I sure hate this series. I love the one with Ole Miss. As a fan, there is nothing better than Oxford, Mississippi and nothing worse than College Park, Maryland. I guess I'll just find something better to do that weekend so I don't bitch the whole time.

I'd like to see us have series against beatable teams we've never really played. Colorado, Kentucky, Oregon State, Arizona, Arkansas, Mizzou, Illinois, UCLA, Iowa State, TCU

But again, long time fan enjoyment ought be at the bottom of the totem pole here. If Clawson thinks this helps recruiting, good on him.

DC metro area has biggest group of Wake Alums outside the state of North Carolina. It has been fertile recruiting area for Wake. College Park, MD to Winston is about 5 1/2 hour drive.

On his radio show Claw brought up Wake's big Boswash alumni contingent and the big crowd we brought to the Military Bowl.

Better Maryland than Army!

Clawson's daughter now lives in the DC area.

Jesus people, get a grip. This is a far more interesting matchup than many others that we have scheduled in the coming years. I too would like to play Georgia, Oregon, and Ohio State, but in the absence of that, this matchup is just fine.

Back