• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

Keep in mind that Hinton hasn't had a single series with the ones in either scrimmage.

So our tackles and apparently best O-linemen aren't "typical ACC-level talent."

Sigh.

Weaver will handle kickoffs. I think a freshman walk-on was also in the running.

So why no trivia question on tonight's show? I could use a new Southern Tide shirt! :)

I heard some not so great things about the strength program from players when I was at wake 2009-2013. As was mentioned earlier, all players did the same workouts. The rb and wr had the same strength and agility programs as the o lineman. We also had a decent numbers of players with back issues. John Gallagher essentially never played since he hurt his back and never recovered. Blitch also transferred partially due to back issues he claimed to be from the strength program. I know there were more players too. Who knows if they would've been good but the S&C program was a constant complaint.

I forget to mention that Clawson mentioned Steven Claude and Scotty Washington as two examples of high-upside players that will redshirt. As an aside, he actually mentioned OL Jake Benzinger first. That is in line with the Signing Day event where he praised Benzinger more than almost any other recruit. For those that didn't follow last year's recruiting thread Benzinger is probably the most under-the-radar recruit that you could imagine. A guy that Clawson agreed to work out as a favor for a former colleague. I know that Benzinger saw a significant amount of time on Sunday as the second-team left tackle. Whether that was because of injury to another player or not I am not sure.

Wake is likely in position to redshirt most of the class. Here is an updated projection of which true freshman will play against Elon:

Locks: Kendall Hinton, Tabari Hines, Garrett Wilson (long snapper), Chuck Wade, Tyler Bell and Matt Colburn

Probable: Chris Calhoun, Rocky Reid

Possible: Amari Henderson and Dionte Austin

Henderson and Austin are the most difficult to project. I think they are 5th and 6th in the cornerback pecking order. I assume that you would try to get through the season with your top 4 corners, wouldn't you?

Clawson doesn't seem all that committed to Wolford, but I could be wrong.

Think you're reading it a bit wrong. Clawson's committed to having the best QB on the field, and this year that's likely Wolford. I think it was clear after spring practice, Wolford would still be ahead of Hinton and Kearns arrived too late to be a threat this season.

I think Clawson is happy with how Wolford is developing, but isn't committed to having him as the starting QB the next three years. The job will have to earned each year, as it is with almost any other healthy college program.

You'd have to guess Hinton will get his chances this year. If the offense is sputtering (even if Wolford is playing fine) there is that natural pull to try something new.

If things go as they should (?), Hinton ought to get a good amount of action in game #1.

If Wolford stays healthy all season, it would be a shame to waste a year of Hinton's eligibility due to only a couple of series against Elon. On the other hand, you would hate to have to bring Hinton in mid season with no game experience at all, if something were to happen to Wolford (be it injury or struggles). I would guess that is the decision Clawson is wrestling with.

If Wolford stays healthy all season, it would be a shame to waste a year of Hinton's eligibility due to only a couple of series against Elon. On the other hand, you would hate to have to bring Hinton in mid season with no game experience at all, if something were to happen to Wolford (be it injury or struggles). I would guess that is the decision Clawson is wrestling with.

With Kearns redshirting and Newman coming in next year, you get Hinton experience.

I think you have to plan on Hinton getting some significant playing time this season. We're just too thin not to have a go-to QB ready to assume the starting role.

Dan is reporting that Hayworth will play center and JHarris will play guard guard.

Dan is reporting that Hayworth will play center and JHarris will play guard guard.

That's a mistake. Josh Harris was the first-string center yesterday. "Hayworth will probably end up our starting left guard," Clawson said after practice yesterday. It either got jumbled or Dan's editors mucked it up, but Hayworth is absolutely not at center.

Grobe was a master at not allowing QBs to gain any game experience.

Yeah I thought Grobe did a good job mixing in QBs early (Cory Randolph, Ben Mauk) until Riley came along. Tanner, while not great, was so much better than his back-ups.

That wasn't mixing. That was being indecisive.

Back