• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

i would imagine it plays differently at different times of year. it was built for the CWS, Creighton, and in the hopes of having the Omaha Storm Chasers play there. So if they built for full season that would explain the orientation, etc.
It was built for the CWS. Everything else is just a bonus. That sounds like the narrative that Truist Field was built for the Dash and to be a premier event space in the city justifying the larger than necessary club space. Event revenue is mostly gravy.

One thing we haven’t done particularly well this postseason is adjust to the ump zones at the plate. It’s tough when the umps are just wildly inconsistent but there was definitely a stretch in the Stanford game where the ump was giving both guys the outside part of the plate as a strike to righties and we didn’t swing the bat at all. Working some counts and getting the pitch counts up could win us the game tonight.

One thing we haven’t done particularly well this postseason is adjust to the ump zones at the plate. It’s tough when the umps are just wildly inconsistent but there was definitely a stretch in the Stanford game where the imo was giving both guys the outside part of the plate as a strike to righties and we didn’t swing the bat at all. Working some counts and getting the pitch counts up could win us the game tonight.
If they come out first pitch FB right over the plate every single at bat, and we watch it go by every single time, I am not responsible for my vocabulary.

Guess I might consider switching Corona and JJ to get some L/R going in that top half of the lineup, but I think we'll stick with mostly the same stuff.

Thought about maybe a wild Kurtz to 2 hole shout just for a chance to switch things up and put some immediate pressure on the oppo, but nah.

I understand the reasoning behind everyone wanting Costello to play over Cecere, but Costello has been terrible at the plate recently. He’s 3 for 23 since the Notre Dame ACC tournament game

Who was it that had that extremely large pitcher a few weeks ago that we played against? Think it was a midweek game. He was listed at like 260 and was obviously 300+

I understand the reasoning behind everyone wanting Costello to play over Cecere, but Costello has been terrible at the plate recently. He’s 3 for 23 since the Notre Dame ACC tournament game

yeah -- i think is certainly a good argument to start costello since we'll have more FB-centric pitchers (and especially if they start javen coleman who is LHP). but putting him anywhere but the bottom of the lineup would be crazy imo.

however, while cecere struggles against good stuff (lack of bat speed, imo), he does crush mediocre pitching, which is what we might see from LSU today.

yeah -- i think is certainly a good argument to start costello since we'll have more FB-centric pitchers (and especially if they start javen coleman who is LHP). but putting him anywhere but the bottom of the lineup would be crazy imo.

however, while cecere struggles against good stuff (lack of bat speed, imo), he does crush mediocre pitching, which is what we might see from LSU today.
It’s just vibes but I also like the idea of a pinch hit Cecere over a pinch hit Costello should that situation arise.

Feel like someone posted recently that Walter had said he thought Cecere was actually seeing better against lefties lately (would have been a couple weeks ago, though).

I don't know. Outfield play has been kind of shaky both games, imo, and not just because of the sun in left.

Feel like someone posted recently that Walter had said he thought Cecere was actually seeing better against lefties lately (would have been a couple weeks ago, though).

I don't know. Outfield play has been kind of shaky both games, imo, and not just because of the sun in left.
It just feels like speed in the outfield in this ballpark is critical.

It was built for the CWS. Everything else is just a bonus. That sounds like the narrative that Truist Field was built for the Dash and to be a premier event space in the city justifying the larger than necessary club space. Event revenue is mostly gravy.
I hate the park, and think it was poorly designed. The shadows between home and pitchers mound should have been solved. And if you solve the shadows at the plate, you solve the issue with the sun in LF. Just really poorly designed stadium.

The sun may be a factor in early innings. Much harder for batters to see the ball when it is sunlight coming out of the pitcher's hand and they are in shadows.

Back